Boat steering doesn’t respond under WOT.

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I’ve added fluid and bled the system. Also had a shop do it. Steering responsive at lower speeds. But under WOT load, I can turn the wheel all I want and she doesn’t turn – need to slow down to turn. Can’t wiggle or turn motor by hand. I’m thinking it’s the hydraulic’s under the console. NO leaks, new seals put in last year by reputable shop.

mojo

Some helms/hydraulic systems are nearly impossible to get all the air out.

How much cavitation plate is out of the water at WOT? Try lowering the trim while running WOT and see if steering improves. When approaching the height when steering response goes away, usually the motor will turn better in one direction than the other.

B-man

Is it a new problem?

Did you bring it in for them to fix and they didn’t find the problem?

If your helm does need a rebuild they’re not crazy difficult to do with average mechanical skills. I installed all new o-rings and gaskets in my Seastar helm a few years ago after developing a small leak. It’s been flawless ever since. I don’t remember exactly how long it took but it definitely wasn’t an all day affair.

CaptainMusky

I’m guessing like suggested you still have air in the system. I was battling the same and keep fluid and the kit on hand to deal with it

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.