Boat screw loosening

• walleyevision

So I’ve got a 2013 Alumacraft Competitor and recently noticed some of the screws holding the floor panels to the frame have become loose. For most I just re-tighten and they’re good. However some of the screws are not gripping the frame any longer and just spin in place once seated fully. Is my only solution here to upsize screws in those locations? Any other tips?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Mine loosen over time also, and I just snug them as you mentioned. Do not have any that are stripped out, but I would think your idea of a larger diameter screw would work.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If you can get the floor up you can likely use a small screw clip. You can use a bigger screw but that solution only lasts so long.

If you go with a bigger screw use some red loctite. It’s not great for machine screws but might help prevent that screw from backing out a bit more. You could use that on all of them if they continue to loosen.

walleyevision

If you can get the floor up you can likely use a small screw clip. You can use a bigger screw but that solution only lasts so long.

If you go with a bigger screw use some red loctite. It’s not great for machine screws but might help prevent that screw from backing out a bit more. You could use that on all of them if they continue to loosen.

I do have some smaller sections on the deck where this may work. Thanks a lot, I wasn’t familiar with screw clips before this.

robby
    Quad Cities

Mine loosen over time also, and I just snug them as you mentioned. Do not have any that are stripped out, but I would think your idea of a larger diameter screw would work.

This is what I have always done. If and only if you are not going to have to take those screws out soon, I would use light duty Locktite.

stevenoak

My Navigator does the same. Got home from Rainy two weeks ago. One in the back was almost all the way out. Be careful to not over tighten. Human nature says tighten it tighter, but that will cause it to strip. I’ve snugged mine every year for 10 years. They will eventually back out again. But none of mine have stripped. If you add fasteners. Make sure they are stainless. May be able to add a screw an inch or so from the worst ones.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

couldn’t you dip em in wood glue and skrew back in? I found an alumacraft group on the bookface and there are thousands of knowledgeable minds on there too. I bet they have run across this many times.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.