Boat rebuild, closed cell foam flooring

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

The old john boat floor is finally toast. Through snow storms, rain storms and down many a lonely road on the way to find a hidden honey hole. I’m looking to go with a foam flooring as carpet holds too much sand for my liking. Any recommendations appreciated. I think the first stuff around was seadek but a casual search shows numerous brands and a lot cheaper too.

B-man

If it’s just an old boat I’d look into gluing some gym mats down waytogo

Menards also sells interlocking rigid plastic black diamond tread squares, I always thought they’d be cool for boat flooring. You could pin them down with some stainless screws (if you have a sub-floor) or try an adhesive.

isu22andy

Never been around the foam floors but I cant imagine stomping worm dirt and fish blood into them they fair well after 10 years. Sure look nice in the showroom floors though. Id go vinyl , but I do like the gym mat idea.

CaptainMusky

I dont think those would work well in this application due to the ribbed floor. You would be better off doing the gym mats IMO.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’m putting in a floor first. No gym mats.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Maybe if mike sees this he’ll post a picture of his boat. I’m not a worm dunker so no worries there. Fish slime will wash right off a lot better than with carpet.

CaptainMusky

Then I think that would work well. No suggestions though maybe look up the stuff Jay Siemens got from ND. It looks very nice and they come and digitally measure everything.

tswoboda

I’ve got DIY EVA flooring in my boat for about 10 years now and holding up great. I think the the product is Hydro Turf Diamond Cut EVA Sheet and used a 3m aerosol adhesive that was the biggest pain to deal with but so far hasn’t failed at all. 10/10 would recommend it

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Thanks swoboda.

Cody Meyers

I put HydroTurf in my boat over the winter. I had it in my last boat that I used for duck hunting, fishing, and trapping. It held up well for me. I feel like the diamond tread pattern is more durable than this grooved pattern that I used this time.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9734-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_9733-scaled.jpeg

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Then I think that would work well. No suggestions though maybe look up the stuff Jay Siemens got from ND. It looks very nice and they come and digitally measure everything.

That’s Aqua Traction. There actually used to be an installer in Sartell, right by Partner’s Pub. I’m not sure what happened to him. There may have been a falling out between him and the company or something like that. He may have even been a part owner or Aqua Traction. It’s been a while since I was in that game so I lost touch of those contacts.

dirtywater

I put HydroTurf in my boat over the winter. I had it in my last boat that I used for duck hunting, fishing, and trapping. It held up well for me. I feel like the diamond tread pattern is more durable than this grooved pattern that I used this time.

That looks really nice. Did you do this yourself? Do you mind sharing your rough costs?

Cody Meyers

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cody Meyers wrote:</div>

That looks really nice. Did you do this yourself? Do you mind sharing your rough costs?

I did do all the work myself. I had to cut new deck panels for everything so the gaps were correct etc. but for the turf I had something like $1600-$1800 for all of the sheets. That included 5-6 sheets of the gray grooved two tone sheets for the floor. It also included 3-4 sheets of the solid black that I used on the vertical surfaces. Then I had the cost to prime and paint my decking etc. I’d say 2k is a pretty conservative number to use for my 18’ Alumacraft.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.