Boat purchase from distance, delivery and payment

• acarroline

Hoping to take delivery of a new boat soon. I will not be getting the boat at the dealership but meeting at a location that cuts down the drive. What’s standard for completing payment and accepting delivery in this scenario? I’ve never seen the boat in person.

I’m starting to get very annoyed with this whole process as it’s taken longer than it should have and I’m not getting the same answers from differing personnel at the dealership.

walleyesforme

The last new boat that I bought was off the showroom floor and it was about 5 hours from where I live. I did go to the dealership to see it before I bought it and did go there to take delivery so my situation is a little different. I believe if I remember correctly I brought a cashiers check for my down payment and then when I went to take delivery we did all the paperwork for the financing. I’m guessing if you are buying it outright or doing the financing with your own bank you can do this all ahead of time. The day I went to pick it up we water tested it and they showed me how to operate everything which was nice. I soon thereafter learned the major drawback of buying something so far from home as I almost immediately started having issues with the boat. After many phone calls and back and fourths I was fortunate that I was directed to take it straight to the factory which saved lots of time versus bringing it back to the dealer. I had that boat, or some version of it for 4 summers. It never spent a winter in my garage because it was always at the factory getting redone and cut apart and pieced back together. Before the 4th summer they ended up scrapping that hull and they gave me a new one and I promptly sold it. Just me but I’d never buy something new from far away just because usually there’s hiccups of some sort, usually small things but you never know. Best of luck with the new rig.

acarroline

I hope that’s not the case for me, walleyeforme. Appears I got caught up in some internal strife. Not real cool, but happens. Overall I have a delivery date, a plan to move forward, and will be making final financial transaction upon delivery inspection.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Personally, I’d just make the drive to the dealership. Finalize the deal there.

-J.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.