Boat or trailer mounted backup camera

• Ongo

Anyone have a recommendation for a quickly removable wireless backup camera that can be stuck on the back of a boat or trailer for backing into tight spots? It would ultimately serve the same purpose as a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling to get consistent location of a vehicle in the garage, but for backing up a boat tight to a wall without hitting it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tape on the garage floor where your tires are when it’s in its place. Along with your mirrors.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

In addition to what Ron said get a 2 x 4 and lay it on the floor where your back trailer tire stops. While the camera seems like a good idea you will spend more time looking at a screen vs watching your mirrors. Another good idea would be a 3/4″ sheet of plywood to cover the sheetrock you are about to put a hole in.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Agree with both statements above. Otherwise they sell cheap cameras for the back of RV’s and such.

mojocandy101
    Alexandria, MN

Tape on the garage floor where your tires are when it’s in its place. Along with your mirrors.

Best thing I ever did along with a 2×4 where I want it to stop.

Reef W

I’ve been thinking of getting a https://www.iballhitchcam.com/ Don’t have one yet though so not sure if the range is good enough to put it on the back of the boat.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Is the technology out there to mount a camera on the garage ceiling to look down on the area and have the picture on your phone?

Walleye Hungry

I back into the garage using my mirrors and what not. Than i pull up the security camera i installed in the garage on my phone to get close to wall. If my phone dies or what not, i know to stop when my swing tonque pivot is over a certain chip in the floor.

Yes i can move it around by hand but my jack is a pain in the … to move

CaptainMusky

Yes i can move it around by hand but my jack is a pain in the … to move

My boat is a nightmare to move around by hand too. I am thinking about getting one of those hitch dollies or whatever they are called. I can get reasonable close backing it in, but never get it just right so I have to push it around. Getting to be a 2 person job now. My main trouble is my boat is so wide I can hardly see around it with the mirrors.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I got lucky parking the boat and the tires happened to be wet and I got it perfect the first time! I took my angle grinder and cut small notches in the concrete at turning points and the spot for my first axle, then I spray painted a line between notches with fluorescent paint. All I had to do is line up the tires on the inside edge of the paint and it was perfect every time!

Musky Ed

I also use a board on the floor, but mines a little higher than just a 2×4 as you actually go over that quite easily. I also painted the outer 6 inches white so that not only can it be seen, but gives you a aiming point for the trailer tire to hit so you know you are straight in the garage. The white also really helps when backing into a dark garage when it’s sunny out.

Attachments:
    1. 20220510_113445.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.