Boat insurance

• Greg Perz

About to pick up my (new to me) boat and wondered if anyone had suggestions about insurance agents/policies.

Any info helps.

Thanks,
    Greg

kro22

I have American family and they have pretty cheap rates for the coverage available. 115hp 1775 lund – PM me if you want the rate.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Justin Schneider at Woods and Waters has served me well for both my guide boat and family boat for over 15 years.

952-938-9190

I’m sure he’ll see this post and chime in soon.

Feel free to give me a call Greg and I would be happy to run you a few quotes. I operate an independent insurance agency here in the Twin Cities that specializes in outdoors related insurance products.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Greg, I’d seriously consider Justin. I had a claim last year and he really held my hand through the whole process. Any insurance company will do, that is until you have a claim. Only then you can see who is really on your side! Thanks again Justin!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Boat insurance is not required by law in Minnesota, but considering how dirt cheap it is, I’m not really sure why anyone would go without it if they owned a boat that had any kind of value.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Boat insurance is not required by law in Minnesota, but considering how dirt cheap it is, I’m not really sure why anyone would go without it if they owned a boat that had any kind of value.

Interesting. Who would be on the hook if someone runs into you and the friends that are with you are hurt? Same with if I ran into a log and the motor flipped into the boat and sent my friend and I into the hospital?

Or are you just saying the “boat” insurance.
    If there’s a loan out on it, they could require insurance?

Man, I’m way over thinking this…sorry.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Another vote for Justin, been great to work with.

tangler
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Interesting. Who would be on the hook if someone runs into you and the friends that are with you are hurt? Same with if I ran into a log and the motor flipped into the boat and sent my friend and I into the hospital

I have a boat that’s not worth more than $1k, so I don’t insure it. I worked with my State Farm agent to make sure that my umbrella policy will cover accidents on the water.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Interesting. Who would be on the hook if someone runs into you and the friends that are with you are hurt? Same with if I ran into a log and the motor flipped into the boat and sent my friend and I into the hospital?

I’m not familiar with the liability/injury laws related to an accident in a boat. But yes, if you don’t actually “own” the boat and you’re paying a loan on it, insurance is required on it. I was specifically referring to having boat insurance on the watercraft/outboard itself, assuming there is no outstanding loan. Maybe someone else will chime in about the injury/liability issue that knows about it.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Feel free to give me a call Greg and I would be happy to run you a few quotes. I operate an independent insurance agency here in the Twin Cities that specializes in outdoors related insurance products.

This guy here, I’d check out with him on your other insurance needs too.

Kyhl
    Savage

Their health insurance would fit in there somewhere. Think of it as primary insurance versus secondary insurance, versus tertiary, versus …. There would be a hierarchy of who is responsible for the liability. If a vehicle is involved, the vehicle insurance/owner would have the primary liability. What isn’t covered there would fall to the next level, maybe an umbrella policy of the owner of the vehicle, then finally the individual’s health policy.
    The lawyers representing each level hammer out which will pay for what.

When a business is involved, guide, there will be higher standards of coverage to protect both, the business and the customer, in case the customer is under-insured.

A regular guy without boat insurance fishing with a friend would be relying on that friend having his own health coverage to cover them when something happens.

mojogunter

Only a piece of crap would operate a boat without any insurance liability coverage. Much like the POS that was impaired and hit my daughter with no insurance. No difference. If you can’t afford insurance you have no business operating anything that can cause damage or injury to someone else. Kill yourself fine, but it seems more often than not they do it to someone else. Not to mention it could financially ruin you for years or life.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

regardless of who you go to, make dang sure that they explain what is and IS NOT covered. Additionally, max coverages per item. Example – your $4,000 in locators are stolen at night in a motels parking lot. Does your policy give you replacement value or a set amount. Would suck to find out they only pay $1K and you needed additional coverage….

Unfortunately, too many people look at their bottom line cost of insurance and really don’t know what is covered

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

X2 with Justin.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Same but ALUMACRAFT 175, I added $2500 in personal belongings (rods, tackle box and graph) $217 a year

I have American family and they have pretty cheap rates for the coverage available. 115hp 1775 lund – PM me if you want the rate.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

As long as we are talking about surprises….

I’ve had my guide insurance with Justin for 15 years. It was just a couple years ago when I realized that if I have a moving accident and I’m not using my kill tether, I’m sol.

Also, I’m the only person allowed to operate my boat when I was guiding. (not that I would let anyone anyway)…but then again,

Guiding and Tourney insurance is very different then the pleasure fisherman insurance. Either way, know what’s not covered.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

People don’t insure the canoe because they only think about the value of the asset. Liability is the new buzz word for folks anxious to sue.

Greg Perz

Thank you for all the info. I decided to go with Justin.

Attachments:
    1. BB64447B-5FF4-4D5F-8F86-1A75DA7834B8.jpeg

Kyhl
    Savage

Good choice. I haven’t met Justin however he is easy to work with and much more knowledgeable about insuring outdoor gear than the typical guy insuring your car and house.
    I first went through insuring via my regular agent. Eventually went with Justin where I learned what was missing in coverage from my regular agent. Costs were similar.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.