Boat Dilemma

• Reef W

Let me guess. It rides just as good as a big glass boat right?

I must have missed where anybody said that. I think if you’re taking enough water over front, sides, and back in any boat that you think a second bilge is necessary the “due to the driver” comment is spot on rotflol

Deuces

JC man, r u Lt. Dan on top the shrimp boat or what when you fish?

Id like to know if anyone else is taking water over the sides and experiencing this horrendous fishability of a lund….

Or perhaps the better question is how are your driving skills if you’re consistently taking water over the side?

walleyesforme

JC man, r u Lt. Dan on top the shrimp boat or what when you fish?

Id like to know if anyone else is taking water over the sides and experiencing this horrendous fishability of a lund….

Or perhaps the better question is how are your driving skills if you’re consistently taking water over the side?

Oh there’s no driving involved with that issue. That’s just what goes on the entire time you are trying to fish. I’m not saying all Lund boats are bad. I just don’t believe the impact series has the same build or hull design as their premium line boats and it’s definitely easy to tell. Two of my friends that had impacts got Lund Fisherman’s last year and those seem quite a bit nicer but they are a way larger boat so you can’t really compare the two. Like I said we strictly fish big water so it puts stuff to the test.

JEREMY
    BP

My Lund took on a bunch of water but thats because someone took my plug out when I wasnt looking. I know I didnt forget it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

My Lund took on a bunch of water but thats because someone took my plug out when I wasnt looking. I know I didnt forget it.

Ok that got an actual chuckle! rotflol

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Wow, never experienced any of that with my 1775 impact xs. Knowing how to captain a boat in nasty weather and on big water is pretty crucial to avoid what you’re talking about.

walleyesforme

Wow, never experienced any of that with my 1775 impact xs. Knowing how to captain a boat in nasty weather and on big water is pretty crucial to avoid what you’re talking about.

That’s not the case. My friends are all very experienced captains and spend a ton of time on the water as do I. The worst one did happen to be a 1775 impact. That one went through 3 windshields and 7 of the “pro ride” seats while under warranty. That particular boat finally met its fate one day when the water was high and a red can was submerged just under the water. I think that was one happy day for everyone that has been out fishing in that boat.

mnfisherman18

IF you are looking at an Impact 1875, I think you owe it to yourself to look at the comparable Alumacraft and Crestliner. Shopping one against the other and speaking with multiple dealers is never a bad thing. The dealer/service is very important when going with something brand new as well.

Would definitely second this, the trophy and Superhawk/sport fish are very similar boats. Most will have a 150 off the back which should be perfectly adequate for your needs.

isu22andy

Lacannes had some good deals on leftover alumacraft trophy 185s with Yamaha 150s on them . Was around 45k out the door with no electronics a few months ago.

acarroline

Got my quote on the Crossover. Little higher (roughly $1000) than other quotes for the electronics (2 graphs, trolling motor), but the bottom dollar is the important number at the end of the deal. Dealer saying dep done by Sep 2 or rebates change.

Communication has been erratic with my original party wanting to buy my boat, not exactly instilling confidence, so we’ll see about that. I have two others in line for the weekend.

If I get my price on my boat I’ll put in a in offer on the crossover. If they don’t take it then there will be more boats to choose from over time. If I don’t get my price then I will keep my boat that has been/is great and is setup the way I want it and not fork out the additional dollars. Probably the way to go anyway :).

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I know this is the benefit of a roller, but I have now owned a bunk for close to a decade and haven’t experienced a launch I can’t get my boat to float off at. Not saying there not out there, maybe I just don’t hit enough lakes.

X2

I think this is my 7th or 8th year with my current boat (17′ fiberglass) and its bunk trailer. I have come across exactly 0 scenarios where water depth prevented me from launching/landing the boat. In 2′ of water I can get it off the trailer and it’s a heavy boat for the size compared to aluminum rigs.

Another major pro of bunk trailers that wasn’t mentioned is that they generally ride lower. If access to a garage is an issue or close due to windshield height or motor height, a bunk definitely gives you more clearance for the same size boat.

Reef W

Are bunk trailers lower than roller trailers usually? Not how the boat sits, the actual trailer itself.

I ask because the only time I’ve ever had to wade in ice cold water sticking boards under tires was for a ranger on bunk trailer where the lowest part of crossmember was hitting the concrete slabs. It was a super shitty shallow access and I think their drop hitch was too low but, either way, that particular setup had very low clearance. Made me wonder how it would handle steep driveways or weirdly graded areas.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I think trailer height would be the same just don’t have the added rollers so they sit lower.

MX1825

I’ve seen lots of boats on bunk trailers that I think are WAY TOO HIGH. Many of them are Lunds. JMO

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Other great options for bunk trailers. Synthetic bunk boards or add on teflon pads over the carpet. (I have teflon add ons and Mike W has synthetic bunk bords.) Boat will slide of as easy as a roller trailer. Also boat wont freeze to the bunks during winter boating.

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Other great options for bunk trailers. Synthetic bunk boards or add on teflon pads over the carpet. (I have teflon add ons and Mike W has synthetic bunk bords.) Boat will slide of as easy as a roller trailer.

I’ve been thinking about ditching the bunk carpet for years now.

Anyone have any experience using gatorback on their bunks?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I think trailer height would be the same just don’t have the added rollers so they sit lower.

This is how mine is. Clearance is the same as most trailers but the rig itself sits lower being on bunks.

I would assume most fishing boat rollers are probably ~4″ or so + any height from mounting hardware

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ve never had an issue with shallow water launches with my Ranger. However, the spare carrier sitting between the front frame rails has been problematic on a couple steep ramps. That’s a terrible design by Ranger.

Ripjiggen

I’ve never had an issue with shallow water launches with my Ranger. However, the spare carrier sitting between the front frame rails has been problematic on a couple steep ramps. That’s a terrible design by Ranger.

Yeah not sure why they went that route with your series of boat but they don’t do that on FS series.

OG Net_Man

Bunk trailers will vary quite a bit. My last boat was a G3 brand on a bunk trailer and the boat sat pretty high off of the ground. When boat shopping last year to replace the G3 I started taking a tape measure with me to measure the height of boats off of the ground.

Heck, I measured a 20′ Yarcraft and the boat sat approx. 2″ closer to the ground then the 17′ G3.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Trailer Bunk Brace Broke

hah

acarroline

Well my “dilemma” is solved. My boat is sold to someone who will enjoy it as we did and it will serve them well. I just had my offer accepted and a down payment completed on a 1875 Crossover. Exciting times.

MX1825

Well my “dilemma” is solved. My boat is sold to someone who will enjoy it as we did and it will serve them well. I just had my offer accepted and a down payment completed on a 1875 Crossover. Exciting times.

Happy for you. Congrats! Pics are a must when you get it.

catnip
    south metro

2 boats is better than 1 and 3 is better than 2.

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.