Boat Dilemma

• acarroline

I have a 2010 Lund Explorer 1825 SS with 4 stroke 115hp Merc, 150 hours, cared for well. The boat is setup nicely with the ulterra, stainless prop, many of the “extras. Everything about the boat works great and it has treated us well. With the new boat incentives I’m considering get an 1875 impact with 150hp. The dilemma comes with figuring out if about $20-$25k of additional cost is the move to make right now. Anyone else been in or working through similar thoughts?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

The boat market seems to be super slow right now. You should be able to get a pretty solid deal. Assuming you are looking at new it could be worth it if you can pay for it in cash. Im not a big financing guy so I know im in the minority. Best case you could get an agreement together on the new and hang on to your current one until the spring market to sell. Worst case you have a super solid setup you like currently and keep enjoying it waytogo

acarroline

Well…that may have happened quickly. I “think” I have a full price offer to be picked up in 3 days. I also have a quote coming on a new replacement. New questions.

Bill of sale, accept a cashier’s check on selling mine?

Looking at a 1875 crossover with Merc 150 and have a quote coning form a few places tomorrow. Want the auto deploy minnkota (ultrex?) trolling motor, 10 (ish) inch Humminbird at console…not anything “live” but basically for for chart-sidescan-downscan. Which one? Plan to get another 7inch bird for the bow that is linked to console. Adding the ice pack garmin LS34 with 10 inch screen and brew city pole. Missing anything???

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think you mean Ulterra. Ultrex is not auto deploy.

Good luck with the upgrade and don’t forget to post a photo of the next boat.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Get the biggest motor you can get nd air ride front seats.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Either cash or watch the buyer pull the cashiers check to be sure it isnt fake. Not sure what state you are in but you will need title. Bill of sale for the trailer if in MN.

As far as the new boat you will need batteries for the new trolling motor/electronics. Highly recommend some kind of lithium. Good luck!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Get the biggest motor you can get and air ride front seats.

acarroline

For the quote I asked for lithium batteries for the Ulterra (yes, Gim, thank you) and a grp 31 SLA for the starter. Motor is 150 Merc ProXS. I don’t need to go faster than 45-50 mph on the water. Agree on airride seats.

My boat is in SD, buyer coming from WI. I have the boat and trailer title in hand. I won’t see him draw the cashier’s check. Hmm….

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I am pretty sure you can either call and confirm it or check it in a branch too.

MX1825

You could do an electronic transfer while at your bank.

walleyesforme

I haven’t owned one myself but I’ve fished with friends many times that have lund impact boats. Probably the wettest rough riding aluminum boats I’ve ever been in not to mention the poor layout. Definitely try before you buy if you can.

acarroline

I haven’t owned one myself but I’ve fished with friends many times that have lund impact boats. Probably the wettest rough riding aluminum boats I’ve ever been in not to mention the poor layout. Definitely try before you buy if you can.

Considering an Impact but getting quotes on crossover. Also fished in Impacts. Appreciate the insight, good to know and consider.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

Why not just put the 10″ screen on the bow? Then take it off and use it on the ice as well.

mnfisherman18

I would take a cashiers check, have the buyer bring the withdrawal receipt too as extra insurance. If you want to triple check he should be able to pull up his online banking and show the exit of funds from his account.

I was at the stair fair yesterday and seeing a few 2023 Reata’s for ~$54K had me thinking about upgrading. Would like to see them with a 175 on the back, but pretty much everyone one I see listed has the 150. Pretty crazy they are almost at price parity with the Crestliner superhawk/sport fish, but some of those do have a 200 hanging off the back.

Reef W

Yeah, I want a new bigger and better boat even though mine is fine… Doesn’t everybody? lol

Luckily for my bank account my current boat hardly fits in garage with literally 1″ to spare when the motor is touching the back wall so I’m stuck with it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Motor is 150 Merc ProXS. I don’t need to go faster than 45-50 mph on the water. Agree on airride seats.

Please listen to Matt on this one. No matter what you think about how fast you want to go, max out the hp. You will save fuel this way and if in rough water appreciate the extra power. You save a lot of fuel running at 2/3rd throttle compared to full. I bought used so did not have the choice to make and it works, but trust me if I could have I would max it out.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

my current boat hardly fits in garage with literally 1″ to spare

Mine’s pretty close to that too. I’ve got about 3 inches to spare.

They never build garages big enough do they.

acarroline

Why not just put the 10″ screen on the bow? Then take it off and use it on the ice as well.

I usually fish at the console and my son fishes up front. I’m not sure I need the 7inch bird up front for him if I have a 10-12 in ch bird at console for navigation, sidescan, trolling motor mapping contours, etc….then the Livescope on the track that can move all over the boat.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I traded my 1999 lund pro v with a 150 opti for a 2021 1875 Lund Impact with a 150 proxs.

I have two Helix 9’s, ultera, lure lockers, cover, four upgraded seats, vinyl floor, and flip-up rear seats. I’m sure I am forgetting something.

I dont get wet, its a great quality Lund ride. Even to the point when I bring people out, they comment on the ride. I think people get wet due to the driver and how they handle waves.

It serves as a mostly fishing boat with 30% sandbar boat. I can get 48mph out of it and is plenty fast for me.

The rail system for attachments took me a bit to get used to but works.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Shannon

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>walleyesforme wrote:</div>

Considering an Impact but getting quotes on crossover. Also fished in Impacts. Appreciate the insight, good to know and consider.

Isn’t it the same hull?

If you’ve had a lund and was happy with it’s understandable to want to keep to the same brand. Other than those 30 to 40000 bills of course. I’d be in and out of alot of dealers checking alot of rigs out to make sure my money was well spent. Everyone makes nice rigs nowadays.

Happy boat buying toast

Musky Ed

My bank says never accept a cashiers check unless you are standing next to him at his bank when getting it.
    Cash, wire transfer or go to his bank with him.
    I went through this some years back on a private sale of a Lund that I had. We went to his bank to do the paperwork and payout to me. The Teller handed me the check.
    Sols a 5th wheel once to a guy from Canada, and insisted on wire transfer or cash, he brought cash, 25k. That was interesting as he got really held up at the border because of it. My bank really helped him out with all the extra paperwork he needed taken care of because of that cash. We had a good laugh after about his border issues.

acarroline

Working on getting the guy to bring cash, my bank said to have him bring the receipt and I could call the issuing bank for certainty.

Getting crossovers and impacts priced out. Like the crossover for family but having a little less dedicated rod storage (still can store on sides but different type of storage) and can live without the second livewell. I have located two holdovers that seem to be pretty good deals. My local dealer that has retired said they are at or below dealer cost. No option to go to 175 from 150 motor and not a concern for me. Bimini tops, ski pole, air ride upgraded seats, upgraded roller trailer (may switch for bunk or at least add drotto).

Helix 10 SI at dash, helix 9 DI at bow, ulterra 24v-80lb-60inch with DI ducer, LVS 34 with ice bundle and brew city pole. $500 rebates on h-birds right now, hearing hey may be coming out with a new product in the next month…hmmm.

Time to see what the numbers come out to and see which of the two want to be the most accommodating.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I would never own a roller trailer again. Once you go bunks, you never go back.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Congratulations on the boat/potential boat. Only you can decide if you want to save the $$$ and stick with what “works great and has treated you well” or if you want to move on to something new.

IF you are looking at an Impact 1875, I think you owe it to yourself to look at the comparable Alumacraft and Crestliner. Shopping one against the other and speaking with multiple dealers is never a bad thing. The dealer/service is very important when going with something brand new as well.

x100 on what Matt M said. I’d want price knocked off any boat that used a roller trailer, knowing my first mod would be getting it fitted on a bunk trailer.

Ripjiggen

I would never own a roller trailer again. Once you go bunks, you never go back.

Definitely would not be paying an upgrade price for a roller.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Lund Impact Roller trailer owner with the Drotto and would never go back to a Bunk trailer.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Lund Impact Roller trailer owner with the Drotto and would never go back to a Bunk trailer.

I have a Lund 1875 ProGuide with roller trailer, Drotto and Ezee trailer steps. Awesome setup. I would never own a bunk trailer. If I did, I would never be able to fish some of the lakes I do in low water years. With minimal depth and the roller trailer, I can carefully push my boat off the trailer and winch it back on. The guys with bunks would never get the bottom of the boat wet.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

With minimal depth and the roller trailer, I can carefully push my boat off the trailer and winch it back on. The guys with bunks would never get the bottom of the boat wet.

I know this is the benefit of a roller, but I have now owned a bunk for close to a decade and haven’t experienced a launch I can’t get my boat to float off at. Not saying there not out there, maybe I just don’t hit enough lakes.

Ripjiggen

I know this is the benefit of a roller, but I have now owned a bunk for close to a decade and haven’t experienced a launch I can’t get my boat to float off at. Not saying there not out there, maybe I just don’t hit enough lakes.

X2

walleyesforme

I traded my 1999 lund pro v with a 150 opti for a 2021 1875 Lund Impact with a 150 proxs.

I have two Helix 9’s, ultera, lure lockers, cover, four upgraded seats, vinyl floor, and flip-up rear seats. I’m sure I am forgetting something.

I dont get wet, its a great quality Lund ride. Even to the point when I bring people out, they comment on the ride. I think people get wet due to the driver and how they handle waves.

It serves as a mostly fishing boat with 30% sandbar boat. I can get 48mph out of it and is plenty fast for me.

The rail system for attachments took me a bit to get used to but works.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Shannon

Typical reply from someone that doesn’t spend much time on the water. Let me guess. It rides just as good as a big glass boat right? They are probably a fine boat if you don’t fish big water or just go out in fair weather but from what I’ve seen and experienced there’s no way I’d spend money on something like that. If you fish big water make sure you instal an extra bilge pump because they take water over the front sides and back like no other and one won’t keep up. Also be prepared to put some windshields on it as those don’t stand a chance to the beating those impacts dish out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.