Boat crash, what happened?

• TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

If anything, this post has taught me we have some expert boat captains that frequent this forum.

And there quite possibly some retired forensic scientists as well.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If anything, this post has taught me we have some expert boat captains that frequent this forum.

And there quiet possibly some retired forensic scientists as well.

If you haven’t already know that, then I’d say you must be new. We also had scientists during covid.

CaptainMusky

If you haven’t already know that, then I’d say you must be new. We also had scientists during covid.

I got some of the most accurate info here.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think its time for some graphs and charts on quantum physics to show us how a boat could crash in such a manner. jester

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I’ve been around long enough to realize there are people on here that will argue about virtually anything. As well as give their expert opinion, cough facts, on the subject.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I’ve been around long enough to realize there are people on here that will argue about virtually anything. As well as give their expert opinion, cough facts, on the subject.

You sir are 100 percent correct on that. I post questions and then I sift through the answers.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Isn’t that why we’re here?? devil

dirtywater

Dang it, you have to click the GIF for the payoff.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8007.gif

riverbassman

The best comparison is falling off a tube being the same as a motor going sideways in the video and being ripped off. I have been cracked off a tube or while barefooting at a high rate of speed (I wont even guess the MPH) and I never had anything break off. Now, of course a motor (steel) will break at a similar wipeout. SMH

isu22andy

And there quite possibly some retired forensic scientists as well.

rotflol waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The best comparison is falling off a tube being the same as a motor going sideways in the video and being ripped off. I have been cracked off a tube or while barefooting at a high rate of speed (I wont even guess the MPH) and I never had anything break off. Now, of course a motor (steel) will break at a similar wipeout. SMH

Its called shear strength on the anchors holding the motor. Your not put together with nuts and bolts so nothing should fall off. Going 50 to 60 mph and being thrown side ways would Definitely put the shear weight on the mounting bolts and cause them to shear.

CaptainMusky

Absolutely BC they are not designed for a load like that.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Yup, you don’t need to hit something other than water to break a motor mount. I know a guy who broke the outboard off the back of his bass boat during a tournament out of Buffalo New York in big seas on lake Erie. A good lesson is “getting there 10 minutes sooner don’t help if all your $hit is broke.”

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I love how guys take something said and spin it their way and then criticize the persons original quote.
    Not what I said at all. You have successfully made yourself look foolish. Congratulations. moon

blank

Wes Logan sat down with Dave Mercer on his podcast to tell the story of his boating accident. 9:00 to 14:00 mark covers what happened and his rebuttal to those who question his driving.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I watched that. My opinion is only solidified after hearing his story.
    Nearly 60mph in 2.5ft waves is asking for trouble and shouldn’t be promoted. Risking it all for an extra minute to fish is insane. From what I can find the speed limit on Champlain is 45 or 50mph.
    Even if he did hit that dock, which I have my doubts about. (How can you hit a dock at sixty and get launched in the air and not feel or hear it? He said himself he was just suddenly flying through the air) Regardless it would have been much less of an issue if he was driving like a sane person.
    Glad he is OK. I wish it could be more of a learning experience for all, but instead we will defend reckless behavior and we’ll see it happen again.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    ^^100% with dirtywater post

I don’t understand how some have such strong opinions on this with such little information. I mean I spent 5 minutes watching a couple videos while taking a dump and already notice misinformation in these strong opinions… like the boat he was driving and that he was prefishing (he was in a tourney day, and came back to finish the day).

I’d imagine insurance will inspect the boat and watch the video and interview anyone involved if necessary to make a lot more informed opinion than watching a 20 second youtube clip.

Is there a world where maybe the submerged dock section or whatever didn’t rip the motor off but maybe it hits enough of the hull that combined with the speed and conditions it throws him into the 180 and that rips the motor off? I feel like there’s a 100 different ways it could have happened but so many are convinced they know exactly what did or did not happen based on a 20 second youtube clip.

This is the post of the year. It’s so true. I would say most of my time reading IDO is also in the can. We need an IDO slogan contest:

“IDO: perfect for when you’re taking a dump.”

X1000!

This guy fishes bass professionally and has real experience driving his boat, presumably lots of it. Meanwhile, the IDO Internet Warriors who have never driven a bass boat (sorry, that one time driving your brother-in-law’s boat doesn’t count) know exactly what he did wrong. LOL, and don’t forget to wipe.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yes, like Professional in Nascar.. they never crash. coffee Lot’s of holier than thou in here on this thread… must have just been a fart for some. jester

wormdunker

I know a guy that had a toe ripped off while barefooting. The water didnt rip it off, there was a piece of wood on the surface. I am gonna ask him if he heard a noise when it happened.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I never new that fishing a tour would all of a sudden make you a all star bass boat captain, professional wave hitters. That’s a new one.

CaptainMusky

I know a guy that had a toe ripped off while barefooting. The water didnt rip it off, there was a piece of wood on the surface. I am gonna ask him if he heard a noise when it happened.

Ouch!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I captain in a bass league, I will be the next dale Jr of the water. Ricky Carmichael of the track and randy moss of the deep ball. Just you guys wait. ( just hope I don’t find floating docks ) ( allegedly).

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Years back in the bassmaster classic a press member who was riding along during the tournament had a nut pop because the angler was running hard in rough seas. And yes, he sued the guy driving.

munchy
    NULL

Why is this even a debate?
    Nobody got killed, the guy involved isn’t pointing fingers at anyone about anything, and the guy has every right to be going as fast as he likes within the laws.

He was damm lucky he didn’t get knocked out and thrown into the water.

The reason the bow lifted was because the motor hit a (likely over 500lb) dock section and got kicked up, which causes the bow to lift. Lots of crazy things can happen when a motor gets damaged. He’s lucky he had The Leash installed on the motor, had he not he’d likely be a mangled mess. This is great advertising for The Leash, and tells me to get one if I ever win the lottery to afford one of these boats.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Why is this even a debate?
    Nobody got killed, the guy involved isn’t pointing fingers at anyone about anything, and the guy has every right to be going as fast as he likes within the laws.

He was damm lucky he didn’t get knocked out and thrown into the water.

The reason the bow lifted was because the motor hit a (likely over 500lb) dock section and got kicked up, which causes the bow to lift. Lots of crazy things can happen when a motor gets damaged. He’s lucky he had The Leash installed on the motor, had he not he’d likely be a mangled mess. This is great advertising for The Leash, and tells me to get one if I ever win the lottery to afford one of these boats.

He MAY have hit a dock, he doesn’t know, nor does anyone else. They found a dock section a few hundred years away, after the fact. I’ve hit my share of logs over the years in vnp. You won’t miss it. Even a small 2″ diameter stick you can hear and feel hit the boat or engine. There’s no way he launched off a dock without knowing it.
    The bow won’t lift if you hit something with the motor only. It’ll dive down if anything. Simple physics. Watch the video from the Mississippi on this thread from a couple years ago.
    That’s why it’s being debated. Everyone saying it’s a freak accident is wrong, it was very preventable. The guy was skipping 2.5ft waves at 60mph and lost control. The right thing would be to admit he screwed up and warn others of the danger in driving like that.

Riverrat

In Ottertail County last weekend four young boys were saved from drowning after their boat sank, one older gentleman died after falling off his pontoon. Last year 1 death was recorded from boating. I don’t know who this guy is that lost his motor but he must either be a famous fisherman, or he’s all up on your nuts because honestly I think we all have boater safety issues closer to home that we could be focusing all this attention on.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you have videos of them… by all means post them. Sometimes people are constipated and need some more time. coffee crazy

riverbassman

This post is why social media and internet BS (forums) are wrecking society. All that should be said here is good thing the guy is alive, not internet sleuths determining what happened from a video. Everything that happens now is real time in video, chat, etc. and other crap. This just feeds people’s craw to dig up, find whatever they can to spin a negative light on it.
    Im rambling, but bottom line, why are we even discussing it?
    Did people discuss when you cracked up Dads car when you were 16? Did they assume you were under the influence, driving to fast, etc.? F*** NO they didn’t.
    Find something better to do with your time than find the negative in something that could have been fatal!

picklerick
    Central WI

Really? People have been talking crap about each other since we started speaking. Probably grunted and gestured it for thousands of years before that. It’s not new because of social media. Your opinion is yours and you’re entitled to it, though.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

In Ottertail County last weekend four young boys were saved from drowning after their boat sank, one older gentleman died after falling off his pontoon. Last year 1 death was recorded from boating. I don’t know who this guy is that lost his motor but he must either be a famous fisherman, or he’s all up on your nuts because honestly I think we all have boater safety issues closer to home that we could be focusing all this attention on.

What’s your suggestion? Practice and preach safe boating practices? I think the pros should be the first to preach it as the young guys look up to them.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.