Boat crash, what happened?

• grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

There’s a debate going on as to what happened here. Some say he hit something in the water, yet nothing was found.
    To me it looks like he simply was over driving the boat in those conditions. He was gong too fast, caught a wave right and the wind got under the hull. I think if he had slowed down, or trimmed down, he could have prevented it. He’s lucky it didn’t end worse.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I heard about this but hadn’t seen a video posted yet.

That is downright scary. I don’t think he hit anything. At least he was wearing a PFD and kill switch as required.

The conditions were so bad on day 2 they had to post pone it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

He was cooking. That scary. Could have gone way worse. Lucky he was wearing his kill switch

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Also, did he say at the end his “motor broke off the boat” ?

Reef W

Also, did he say at the end his “motor broke off the boat” ?

Yup

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

He said he lost his motor either jackplate not bolted down properly, jackple sheared motor mounts sheared.If could of seen the transom would have a much better idea of what happened.

tswoboda

Lucky he was wearing his kill switch

My thought too, until he said the motor was gone shock

He hit a submerged section of floating dock, freaky stuff. Perfect example of why you wear a PFD and kill switch, he was doing everything right.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Definitely going too fast but I don’t k ow how that impact would have sheared his motor off like that.

Seems like maybe an equipment failure. Regardless, he was lucky.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would say the accident was “caused” by the loosened/broken motor mounts… lucky guy.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Did they find the dock section? Was there damage on the hull from impact? There’s no sound of impact, it never appears to me that he hit anything. At 40-50mph you’d think you’d hear the impact with a wooden dock.
    Looks like he was going too fast with too much of the boat up and out of the water to keep control.
    The motor definitely could shear off just from hitting the water sideways. Lots of force at those speeds.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Lucky he did not completely swamp the boat on that backwards slide! Wowzer!

-J.

tswoboda

I guess I’ll take the word of the only guy who was there over the opinion of a bunch of people who watched the video he posted ??

Bass boats go that fast in those conditions every single day without motors just magically breaking off. Obviously he he something

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2024-08-13-085331.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

it looked to me like he just hit the bottom of a wave and the boat got popped up and sideways and the torque on the jackplate caused it to rip off… I CANNOT BELIEVE he was able to stay in the boat…

I had a similar experience in my old Skeeter ZX225 (hit a rogue roller wave that blended into the water line while going 60 mph) I sold my ZX225 a few months later… imo water is just too unpredictable to be going that fast in wavey conditions, yes guys ride like that without issues all the time (so did I for years) but it only takes 1 time for things to go really bad, really quick…

I’m content going 35 mph with a majority of the boat hull touching the water now…

Glad he’s ok…

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I guess I’ll take the word of the only guy who was there over the opinion of a bunch of people who watched the video he posted ??

Bass boats go that fast in those conditions every single day without motors just magically breaking off. Obviously he he something

Agreed. This could happen to anybody. Without evidence to the contrary I can easily see how what he described happened, happened.

CaptainMusky

I hit a submerged going about 40 once and it didnt make a sound at all. I just felt it.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I want to hear that they found the dock and that there is damage to the hull. Hitting a dock with your motor will not cause the bow to rise up and the boat to spin around.
    Remember that’s an 18ft tin boat, not a 20+ glass boat like most run. To me it seems he’s covering his tail for over driving the conditions.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I hit a submerged going about 40 once and it didnt make a sound at all. I just felt it.

You didn’t fly into the air and spin around?

CaptainMusky

You didn’t fly into the air and spin around?

Nope, but the boat was HEAVILY loaded down with gear because we were going camping and 4 guys in the boat. Maybe not 40 but 35 for sure.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That seems weird to have the motor break off. I also heard no impact.

blank

I want to hear that they found the dock and that there is damage to the hull. Hitting a dock with your motor will not cause the bow to rise up and the boat to spin around.
    Remember that’s an 18ft tin boat, not a 20+ glass boat like most run. To me it seems he’s covering his tail for over driving the conditions.

It was indeed a 20+ glass boat, not a 18ft tin boat. It was a Skeeter FXR20.
    Why are you so hellbent on not believing the story? He later posted another short video to say that they found some floating dock sections a few hundred yards away.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Hitting a dock with your motor will not cause the bow to rise up and the boat to spin around.

I certainly think it’s possible. Or even probable.

This stuff happens a lot more than you may think. Guys just don’t get it on video and post it on social media.

As mentions, looks like he did everything right. Life jacket and kill switch likely made a bad situation a little better.

-J.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

SLOW DOWN, THIS IS A NEIGHBORHOOD. said nobody.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That seems weird to have the motor break off. I also heard no impact.

I’m also wondering why there was no visible impact or noise from the impact. A dock is a pretty solid item to hit at that speed. Is it possible his hull hit it, which sent the boat upwards, the dock downward, and then the outboard missed the dock? Whole lotta questions here but as has already been stated, wearing his PFD and kill switch prevented more problems. Did he smack his head on the gunnel? It looked like he did.

dirtywater

Yeah I’m good at 25mph thank you very much!

I love how the first thing this dude does is take off his PFD. Don’t get me wrong it’s good he was wearing it and the kill switch, but that seemed stupid to me under the circumstances. If I just lost my motor I am assuming there may be hull damage as well, so I’m going to stay prepared for the worst.

CaptainMusky

Why wouldnt the bow lift up? I mean, unless he was catwalking that thing which I didnt see the video because its blocked for me, the bow would be the first thing to hit it.

blank

I love how the first thing this dude does is take off his PFD. Don’t get me wrong it’s good he was wearing it and the kill switch, but that seemed stupid to me under the circumstances. If I just lost my motor I am assuming there may be hull damage as well, so I’m going to stay prepared for the worst.

I noticed that too, but I’m guessing it’s out of habit when getting up from the driver’s seat. The kill switch tether is on the PFD so they don’t unhook that every time they get up to fish. They take off the PFD with tether still attached instead.

dirtywater

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirtywater wrote:</div>

I noticed that too, but I’m guessing it’s out of habit when getting up from the driver’s seat. The kill switch tether is on the PFD so they don’t unhook that every time they get up to fish. They take off the PFD with tether still attached instead.

this is stupid to me. It’s easier to unclip a tether than to remove the pfd, and there are more & better reasons to leave it on than to remove it.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

this is stupid to me. It’s easier to unclip a tether than to remove the pfd, and there are more & better reasons to leave it on than to remove it.

I’ll assume he is a Tourny guy. Needs both on when the motor is started. Just easier to keep inside the rule book to do it that way. Agree, probably just habit when the boat stops.

-J.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dirtywater wrote:</div>

Tourny guy. Needs both on when the motor is started. Just easier to keep inside the rule book to do it that way.

-J.

This is true. Every morning just before takeoff there are tournament officials that ensure that each boat has a working kill switch & tether, and by having it attached to the PFD it’s the easiest for them to ensure they are following the rules.

dirtywater, I don’t disagree with your statement. Just saying why I assume he took off his life jacket.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 164 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.