Boat cover recommendations?

• Reef W

My Classic Accessories pos finally shredded itself and need a new cover for Competitor 165.

I only need it to keep dirt road dust out, don’t care about water and don’t store outside. Just looking for something that will survive trailering.

Any recommendations on where to order one that isn’t too expensive and at least a little better than Classic Accessories?

walleyesforme

I’m not sure how Alumacraft works but when I needed a new cover for my boat I called the dealer and they were still able to order the original one that was for that boat when it was new. It was not cheap but might be worth looking into.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve purchased my last 2 covers for my center console from Economy Canvas in East Bethel. They are custom obviously and I’m not sure if they’ll be cheaper than one you order but the last one cost me around $450.

walleyesforme

That cover I ordered from the dealer was like $1100 if I remember correctly.

Reef W

I’ve purchased my last 2 covers for my center console from Economy Canvas in East Bethel. They are custom obviously and I’m not sure if they’ll be cheaper than one you order but the last one cost me around $450.

About how long did it take?

Reef W

I never checked dealer. Mine is a 2015 I think so no idea if they have them but I’ll check.

mojo

Carver Covers are a good choice for less than a custom cover. Choice of material quality/warranty and colors. Waterproof, guaranteed fit for specific models, trailerable, and decent price. Be sure to add extra straps and poles to make it fit properly for trailering and to prevent water pooling.
    Several online retailers carry them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve always brought mine in the spring, his busy season, and it took about a month to get the boat in and less than a week while he has it. You may be able to get right in right now and get it in a week.

Just beware, the guy is very old and very hard of hearing but he does pretty good work. He only accepts check or cash.

Reef W

I’ve always brought mine in the spring, his busy season, and it took about a month to get the boat in and less than a week while he has it. You may be able to get right in right now and get it in a week.

I’ll check it out. I might just order a cheapo to finish out the year and get this made later when there’s more time.

Without a cover this is the result doah

Attachments:
    1. 20210905_085707-scaled.jpg

mojogunter

Banner Canvas in Ham Lake is good too. Faith makes make the custom covers for Rapid Sport. She has done work for me for years. She does outstanding work.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Wow, that looks like a nightmare to clean up! I’m on year 6 since I bought my Lund new with the factory cover. Still holding string, but when the time comes in the next few years to replace it I’m either going to go back to the factory cover because it’s held up incredibly well, or if they aren’t available any longer, I’ll get one made by a canvas shop in the same style because it works really well.

I’ve never seen a store-bought cover (fleet farm, cabelas) last more than a few trips down the road, they just don’t seem to last

CaptainMusky

What boat is that for? That seems really steep to me. I got a custom fit snap on cover and it was $600 granted that was a number of years ago, but I wouldnt think it would have doubled.

MX1825

The last factory Skeeter cover I purchased 8 years ago was $875. Good cover still working great when I use it.

walleyesforme

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>walleyesforme wrote:</div>

What boat is that for? That seems really steep to me. I got a custom fit snap on cover and it was $600 granted that was a number of years ago, but I wouldnt think it would have doubled.

That was for a 20 foot crestliner. Im not sure if it was a little more because Crestliner uses those plastic “j” hooks to attach the cover but I thought that price kind of seemed like the going rate these days. Anything canvas for a boat is stupid expensive.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Just looking for something that will survive trailering.

IMO nothing over the counter will last trailering. You will need a custom cover that is made to fit snug. Money well spent.

-J.

CaptainMusky

That was for a 20 foot crestliner. Im not sure if it was a little more because Crestliner uses those plastic “j” hooks to attach the cover but I thought that price kind of seemed like the going rate these days. Anything canvas for a boat is stupid expensive.

I bet that is partly what made it more expensive, but yeah, prices had to have gone up because I got mine a few years ago so maybe that is normal.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>walleyesforme wrote:</div>

I bet that is partly what made it more expensive, but yeah, prices had to have gone up because I got mine a few years ago so maybe that is normal.

Prices have gone up, as we all know. In 2017 I ordered a DuFort cover for my 185 Tiller, it was $800. Then in 2022 I ordered another DuFort for my 205 Tiller and it was $1200. There isn’t much difference in materials needed between a 185 and 205 so that’s mostly all labor increases. DuFort also uses the J Hooks for the Alumacrafts. The cover is great, I use it for all long trips, 10+ hours one way without a hiccup.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Many years ago (11) I used one of the Boat Cover websites (boatcovers.com I believe?) It allowed me to customize the cover to my liking (oversized trolling motor section, attached outboard cover) It was about 1/3 the price of an OEM Cover from Skeeter. I just checked boatcovers.com and it looks like the same cover I have is now about $300 more than what I paid 11 years ago…

The 11 year old cover stays on my boat all summer while on my lift getting beaten by the weather and the sun day after day and it still looks brand new!

I spray a new application of 303 Water proofing on it every season, it works great…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.