Blade baits – Which ones???

• Gerty

This has maybe been talked about before but I was hoping for some help. I want to start getting into the blade bait game (not sure I have enough money!). I see several different styles, where the weights are located etc. I am looking primarily at casting these. Can someone give me suggestions as to which type are best for this? Links to examples etc. would be great. It just seems like some should be better than others as far as how they are designed.

As usual, your help is greatly appreciated!

Gerty

mojogunter

I have several B fish N tackle blades and they have been great. I do have a whole lot less than I used to after pitching to a really snaggy shoreline a few years back. cry

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

What lake or river? Bass, walleyes, perch, crappies??? I own well over 1000 blades and lipless baits. Please narrow down what you want to achieve

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

my favs
    1) any you can buy cheap
    2) ones that don’t cost so much
    3) Sonars
    4) Johnson Thinfishes w/ rattle
    5) Cheap China labor amazon baldes
    6) B fish N tackle

With that assortment you should have enough money to get going, and enough different vibration actions to catch any fish that might even debate biting and snag any fish that doesn’t want to bite )

Gerty

Randy – sorry I wasn’t more specific. Mississippi River, pool 4 walleyes.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Randy – sorry I wasn’t more specific. Mississippi River, pool 4 walleyes.

Those pool 4 fish will eat anything

Cody Meyers

I like the 5/16 blades from Trumar, I pitch them on a medium xtra fast spinning rod.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I like the 5/16 blades from Trumar, I pitch them on a medium xtra fast spinning rod.

I like these as well

Gerty

I really appreciate the responses. Thanks!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

The Heddon blades are pretty popular on P4. I use the Cabelas mean eye blades. You can pick up a dozen of those for around $50. Not really a confidence bait for me but maybe one day? I tried blades yesterday for 30 minutes in the wind tunnel on P4 without any luck. Switched to a shiver minnow and caught fish? All the fish had it pinned under their chin. Maybe I need to bounce those blades off bottom to trigger bites?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

3/16 & 1/4 oz are your go to weights for pitching blades on Pool 4. Try to learn fishing on sand versus rock for bait recovery.

A freindly reminder that it is common for folks to overfish or fish too aggressively. Less can be more and let the fish tell you how they want it presented.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

3/16 & 1/4 oz are your go to weights for pitching blades on Pool 4. Try to learn fishing on sand versus rock for bait recovery.

A freindly reminder that it is common for folks to overfish or fish too aggressively. Less can be more and let the fish tell you how they want it presented.

Yep! Heddon, Trumor, b fish n, are all good blades. If you ask 5 people what color you’ll get 5 different answers and they’re all right. Bright, dark, and gold for starters. I have years pink is on fire and the next is white/orange. Last week was purple and pearl and last night never got touched.

When I’m guiding people and teaching blades, the hardest concept is understanding muscle memory when your working them vertical – and or to understand where they are at in the water column. 90% of people work thembway too fast and don’t follow them down. NEVER have slack line.

I’m short on time. Use the search engine here on IDO for blades. Dean and I have put up an incredible amount of info over past years.

Btw- don’t over look fishing lipless baits the same as blades. Really no difference in how to, just different action and profile. This gal was on the deepest edge off of a clam bed. Zoom in and look at the bait. Lipless worked the exact same way I use blades

Attachments:
    1. 8273DCF5-12AD-4C50-8249-E61A886A16A7.jpeg

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’m looking for a hookless, floating blade bait. I might not lose that one in two minutes jester

SR

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m looking for a hookless, floating blade bait. I might not lose that one in two minutes jester

SR

Steve, I don’t even want this one within n 100 miles of you.

5 ounces

Attachments:
    1. 9136EC31-7E22-4E2F-A99B-19D21F1E055B.jpeg

Gerty

Thanks guys! Appreciate all the comments.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.