Black Friday Buck

• Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

The Wisconsin gun opener started off with dense fog all day on Saturday, and then rain all day on Sunday. Not a great start for me only seeing 2 does and 5 fawns all weekend. I was not able to hunt on Thursday and a nagging back injury had me off to a slow start on Black Friday.

During the archery season, I was hunting 4 specific deer, three different 8 point bucks and a nine point buck – two in Columbia County and two in Iowa County. Around 8:00am opening day of the Wisconsin gun deer season in Iowa County, I was already cold 20′ up my tree stand. I had just passed on a doe and 2 fawns when I heard a loud single shot come from the neighboring property to the West. I hung my head in frustration thinking to myself that they just killed “Dagger”, one of the big 8 points I’d been after. My next thought was good for that lucky hunter, as perhaps he put as much effort into him as I had. I had several nice bucks on camera on this property but one stood out. I typically don’t give nicknames to deer, but this one had a slanting brow tine on his left side and every time I viewed a trail cam photo of him, “Dagger” is what instantly came to mind.

Fast forward to Friday afternoon. I stopped at the taxidermist to drop off my archery buck, and headed to the farm about 10 miles away. I noted no fresh tracks in the bean field and only one large set of day old tracks that went directly underneath my stand. I hung a scent wick dipped in “Flaming Doe” estrous scent, a not yet on the market scent product I am field testing for a company in Texas. There was still standing corn surrounding a small woods a 1/4 mile to the North and I hoped to possibly pull a buck from that direction. I climbed up into my same stand as opening day, wishing I hadn’t been dealt yet another southerly wind. The stand was appropriate for the wind, but I was convinced that a northerly wind would allow me to use my climber on the opposite end of the woods where there was more open shooting and more activity. Scanning around I picked out several fresh beds in the snow and was convinced I should have come earlier before daylight as it appeared that deer had come and gone.

Nothing was moving, except for a single squirrel and one woodpecker hammering away at a dead tree. After about an hour and 45 minutes, I caught movement at the bottom of the draw that funnels into the neighbors property. There is fairly dense brush, mostly of the clothes ripping thorny variety, and I couldn’t tell what the deer was, other than it appeared to be big in my binoculars. It started to slowly move up the draw, pausing for a minute or two after only taking a few steps. Again, scanning through my binoculars it turned it’s head toward me and shook it’s head. Antlers.

As it cautiously crept up the draw a few steps at a time, pausing for unbearable periods, it finally stopped in an opening. I shouldered my 25.06 and quickly found him in the scope. It was Dagger! I was in disbelief, having already convinced myself that he was hanging in the neighbor’s shed. I clicked off the safety and noted that their was a slanting tree protecting his vitals.

Waiting, waiting and waiting some more, he would not move. He just stood there for about 5 minutes gazing in my direction and testing the wind at his back. I was standing with the rifle shouldered and my arms began to shake from holding the crosshairs on him for so long. I was afraid to lower the rifle for fear that he would step through the opening and turn, screened by trees and brush never offering another shot. I debated aiming at his neck but elected to engage the safety, lower the rifle and let fate have it’s way.

After a few deep breathes, I saw him take a step. I quickly shouldered the rifle again and clicked off the safety. One more step and I carefully aimed, exhaled and fired. Dagger dropped like he was struck by lightning.

Immediately I sent a text with one of the trail cam pictures attached to the property owner, and my best friend, and shared the news. He offered to come over and help and I gladly accepted. What a season.

Attachments:
    1. 2014-Gun-Buck2.jpg

2. STC_0034.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Nice buck! Your work time scouting paid off nicely.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Nice looking deer. Getting a little grey in the face really sets the picture off. Thanks for sharing…that’s how a hunt should be.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Great buck congratulations !

Jon Livingston

That’s an awesome buck! And to be the one you’re after is even better. Congrats!

deertracker

That is a stud of an 8. Congrats. Nice write up as well.
    DT

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Congrats Gary! Way to put in the time and score on both your archery and firearm bucks!

Dave

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Congrats on another really nice buck Gary!
    Glad to see your hard work pay off for you.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Heck of a buck! You will have to ask your taxidemist if you get a black friday deal.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great deer and story!

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Another awesome story and deer for you, Gary! You’re on a roll this year! Goes to show, just when you think there’s no chance, the buck your after can show up in an instant. Way to keep after it, even after you thought he was dead!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

That waiting is a rush. Often feels like eternity! – Nice buck!! applause

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.