Black bear attack in WI. 12 y/o Son saves his Father’s life.

• CaptainMusky

Good job young man! Holy cow that could have ended badly.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

He’s certainly not winning Father-of-the-Year anytime soon. Pretty dumb. Good on the younger fella I guess.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

heard something about this, good job young man!!!

JEREMY
    BP

Ive never bear hunted before but what was dumb. Walking up on a wounded bear while tracking it, or the boy shooting it off him?

B-man

Ive never bear hunted before but what was dumb. Walking up on a wounded bear while tracking it, or the boy shooting it off him?

When a bear is wounded there’s not much you can do, and who knows if they even knew it was still alive to begin with when they started tracking.

I’d be the proudest Dad in the world if it were me in that situation peace

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d be the proudest Dad in the world if it were me in that situation

That’s what I was thinking. Plus who knows where Dad would be if his son wasn’t with. Kid deserves a medal and a bada$$ nickname imo.

JEREMY
    BP

Thats exactly what I thought just wondering why the other dude said it was dumb and he wouldnt be winning father of the year anytime soon.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wonder if they were tracking this animal with guns loaded ready to fire again or if they were just nonchalantly following a blood trail. Which would not be a good thing. This is the exact scenario a big 500 on the hip would come in handy. I also wonder how long they gave the bear before they tracked it.

CaptainMusky

I wonder if the son was also carrying a gun or if he used dads?

Walleyeguy34

The dad shot 8 times as the bear charged at point blank and missed all 8 shots.. a lot of people always like to think they would be able to shoot a charging bear but it doesn’t always play out like you see in the movies.

CaptainMusky

Dang right walleyeguy! In the heat of the moment adrenaline kicks in and all bets are off.

B-man

Wonder if they were tracking this animal with guns loaded ready to fire again or if they were just nonchalantly following a blood trail. Which would not be a good thing. This is the exact scenario a big 500 on the hip would come in handy. I also wonder how long they gave the bear before they tracked it.

A different article I read this morning said his son shot it the first time, then they waited 20 minutes before tracking.

Once the bear attacked, his son shot it about 45 seconds later.

To me it sounds like they did everything right, except having a perfect shot in the first place.

Those that have actually killed a bear know it’s always spooky following the blood trail. It’s usually in the thickest cover available, and even scarier in the dark lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

A different article I read this morning said his son shot it the first time, then they waited 20 minutes before tracking.

Once the bear attacked, his son shot it about 45 seconds later.

To me it sounds like they did everything right, except having a perfect shot in the first place.

Those that have actually killed a bear know it’s always spooky following the blood trail. It’s usually in the thickest cover available, and even scarier in the dark lol
    [/quote]

I didn’t read any articles so I wasn’t sure. But waiting only 20 minutes is pretty wild in the first place.
    Glad it all worked out for them

CaptainMusky

Yeah I’ve not hunted bears but I’ve been told you need to really wait it out before going after it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

One of the scariest things I’ve done in the outdoors was when my buddy shot a massive 500 lbs bear, we gave it a few hours and tracked it in the dark, sometimes crawling bc it was so thick, and we were loaded to the hilt. Likely still wouldn’t have mattered if it was wounded and attacked while we were single file crawling thru the thicket. Respect to the Bear Slayer Kid!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hopefully he had a good buddy to go get the bear for him, that sob would be mounted on my living room wall so I could stare him down the rest of my life

Dan
    Southeast MN

This story was on the front page and very top of the Star Tribune on Wednesday, very interesting story so glad to see it get out in front of a lot of people.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.