Big White Mushroom Things

• Dan
    Southeast MN

A few weeks ago at my parents place a friend found one of these and actually ate it later. I’ve seen a few things online and people are saying if they’re picked at the right time they’re good eating. Sounds like the weather conditions this summer made it possible for these to flourish.

On my way into the woods this afternoon I saw a bunch on a hillside. Anyone know anything about these or heard of them before?

Attachments:
    1. 20231021_170808-2-scaled.jpg

2. 20231021_170808-1-scaled.jpg

3. 20231021_170808-scaled.jpg

B-man

They’re Giant Puff Balls.

Edible, but far from the top of my list

If you’re going to eat them, make sure they’re all white inside and not yellowing.

TH

You can slice them and use them for pizza crust. Bread them and deep fry them. I made a couple batches of cream of mushroom soup. I think soup is the best use.

Iowaboy1

Very bland, they are like walleye and take on the flavor of what you coat them with,, if they have brown spots or streaks on them leave them be, nasty!!
    Other mushrooms out there that are much better.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Iowaboy you’re gonna get hate mail from the walleye crowd of you keep referring to them as bland jester

Those mushrooms are almost surreal to see because you’re walking in the woods where everything is earth tone and you see all these white orbs on the ground. In an area roughly the size of a garage I saw 8. Three were the size of softballs and the other 5 were the size of basketballs or bigger.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Fastest way to eat them is with a 9 iron… Found a baseball size one on a golf course once…

Would have been less of a mess with an M80.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We came by a bunch of them yesterday. Some almost as big as a watermelon.

ThunderLund78

Yup, it’s been a banner year for puffballs – Tofu of the woods, not a ton of flavor but provides filler and texture to any recipes that call for mushrooms.

We have one about the size of the basketball that we’ve been walking by the last 4 days for youth hunt. Pretty cool to look at, I usually just leave them be. My kids like to kick the ones from last year. No wonder we have so many around!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.