Big Walleye ice rod ?

• Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Trying to make a special trip to Lake Erie (Thank you IDO). The only rods I have now are for panfish except a medium 25″ and a medium-lite 28″, just cheep store brand rods I have used for whitefish.

Not looking to break the bank for what may be a one time deal… but I want to enjoy what should be a very special trip… Is a little longer rod really helpful? Like 30″ If I look at one other rod, is a medium action appropriate for what I hope is a chance to hook into a couple real nice fish? Something mid-range at Gander where I have a bunch of gift cards.

While I’m asking… will a 10 series lite reel with 10# braid and a 10 Sufix floro leader work?

Using jigging raps, a few spoons, maybe play with a ripping rap. A lot of it in a portable shack, unless weather is right.

Thanks in advance! This is mostly new to me.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I used my 36″ Tuned Up Precision and reel spooled with 4lb Sufix mono. I never had a fish break me off.

Save the money and enjoy the trip. No need to spend money on a new rod.

Jim Katakis
    North West Ohio

Until a thirty inch walleye does this to yours blew at every eyelet!!!

Attachments:
    1. image8.jpg

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Think about this a little differently. Don’t match rod weight to fish but to presentation. Meaning if you’re predominantly dropping 1/8th lures you don’t want to use a pool cue. Unless you’re running 3/8th to 1/2 ounce lures ML and M are just fine. ML for the lighter lures and M for say 1/4-3/8th.

I’ve got a 28″ Medium “walleye” rod from Jason Mitchell that I haven’t spooled up in years. That may finally change if I start fishing baits like the rippin rap. My typical spoon is 1/8th with some a little lighter and some a little heavier. No MH in my arsenal until I go for lakers.

Andy’s hitting the nail on the head above. You can land some big fish with 4# test and a rod considered to be ML or so.

If you do have a few bucks burning a hole in your pocket there are a ton of options out there. I’ll let the others give suggestions for what you might find at a Gander.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

other thing to consider is line you’ll be using and depth you’re fishing. If using mono and fishing deep, a stiffer rod should help with hook up %. I don’t mind going heavier on the rod if it’s sensitive enough and I can still feel the bite and I use all mono during ice season to avoid freeze up issues. My big walleye rod is a 31″ MH 13 fishing rod. Love it. $25 at most retailers. Paired with 500 sienna.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I’ll have to look at the weight on the #5 jigging raps. The couple #7’s are 5/8 oz…. If I can find fives, I’ll use them. None of the stores I checked so far had any left.

Looks like depth will all be 25 feet and less.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Good thing is if I did something to shatter a rod like above, it would be a cool story for when I got home.

Paul Nault

Medium action will work for u I fish walleye almost every weekend I catch big ones Littles ones I have medium and medium/heavy rods don’t use ur light rods I have broke a few on walleye cause sometimes they bite hard u don’t have to use anything expensive I have used Walmart rods and work just fine my fav rod I have is a medium action Quontom with 10 lb braid

ndrangerguy
    West Fargo, ND

My Winnipeg big walleye rod of choice is a 32″ medium heavy Scheels elite ice. Fish mostly live targets and blade baits in 8-15 fow. It has performed great 4 years running.

holmsvc
    SE ND

My Winnipeg big walleye rod of choice is a 32″ medium heavy Scheels elite ice. Fish mostly live targets and blade baits in 8-15 fow. It has performed great 4 years running.

That’s a really nice rod for the price. My buddy uses one as his main walleye rod. I have a 32 TB Walleye SH that handles big fish and bigger baits well.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

if thats a graphite or hollow blank, they snap at the guide because of windings are too tight. Basically the threads crush the blank. defect in craftmanship i would suspect.

As mentioned, you don’t need to go into a lake trout or super heavy rod. 10# walleyes don’t fight as hard as brown trout and steelhead. I’ve abused my med. lt rods on trout and never have an issue

milemark_714

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jim Katakis wrote:</div>

if thats a graphite or hollow blank, they snap at the guide because of windings are too tight. Basically the threads crush the blank. defect in craftmanship i would suspect.

Or the guide feet were not properly dressed.I have stripped factory rods that had burrs on guide foot.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Chuck,

Have you called the Bass Pro shop in Gurney, IL for the Raps?. It might also be worth your time to call Happy Hooker in Oak Harbor, OH. It is on the way to Port Clinton.

FDR

seeds
    SE WI

I like a heavy or MH for jiggin’ Raps. MH is fine for 5’s but I still prefer a stiffer stick.. Long rods are for nicer days when I can hole hop. Shorter sticks for inside the flip-top.

Mediums absorb more of the jigging action making short,hard “darts” difficult…or at least difficult to keep up for long…for me anyway.

If fish are hitting 5’s I stick with them. I get a better hooking percentage with them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.