Big Cormorant

• brandyman
    West central MN

Our annual father/ son fishing trip is going closer to home this year but to a new lake. Big cormorant by Detroit lakes, early next week. We are on sw side. We target walleye but don’t mind catching bass as well.
    Any tips or areas to look for? I have heard it’s super clear so that will be a new experience for me.
    TIA

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Love Big C. Spinners on the weedlines in 22-24’. Big minnows pulled slow in same area. That’ll get ya pike, smallies and walleyes. Also a big fan of night fishing out there. Shallow shadow and shad raps work well. finding pockets of cabbage and slip bobbers too. Very healthy lake and with some good electronics you should be able to string a pattern together.

brandyman
    West central MN

What do you mean by “big minnows”?
    Thank you.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Creek chubs if you can get them, or suckers can work. There’s a Hardware store in Lake Park about 10-15 min away that has sold a river mix of minnows, usually you can get some chubs in there. That was 2 years ago I was last in there, so don’t quote me.

Pull leeches too, you’ll get a lot more bass, but walleye should go on that as well. Can’t discount a spinner/crawler either. Weedlines are deep, that’s the most important takeaway

brandyman
    West central MN

Thank you!
    We are going to have to drive to find leeches as the local bait shops are all out. So we’ll look for them as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.