Better boat deals now or wait until boat show?

• Aaron Oakdale
    Oakdale

I am planning on buying a new boat. The model I am considering is not changing for the 2020 model year (Alumacraft Escape). The layout on 2019 and 2020 are identical. I have seen some pretty good year end deals on 2019’s. I an wondering if I should buy now, or if I will find a better deal during the boat show in January? What do you guys think?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Whats more important finding a better deal or owning a boat? Personally I would choose the boat.

Aaron Oakdale
    Oakdale

Whats more important finding a better deal or owning a boat? Personally I would choose the boat.

Well considering the time of year I am more inclined to look for a deal. I already have a boat to fish out of and am looking to purchase a new boat for future seasons.

Musky Ed

One thing to keep in mind if it is a order out, is that if the boat comes prerigged with major components, trolling mtr, locators and such, newest of those generally don’t comeout till Dec or January, and if ordering a boat in the fall, you may not get the latest stuff that you can specify to be on when ordering mid January on. Generally good deals in the fall, but last years components. Order boat show time on, latest stuff, price, thats a question mark, also depending on when you order you may not have boat at start of fishing.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I am highly opinionated on this !
    Boat show buying has really been over sold respectfully….. Its alot like doing your Christmas shopping on Christmas eve day and upset because the check out lines are long.

I believe you will have a far better experience and results before show time. As of now, you can have all the information on the 2020 new models and or decide if some savings on remaining 2019 models are better for you.

Trust me dealerships do business 12 mos a year not just boat show time. Incentives can be managed accordingly at any good dealership so you dont miss the programs.

Sometimes we focus only on the “perceived deals” rather than focusing on what boat is the best fit for you. You certainly wouldn’t buy the wrong sized pair of hunting boots because they were on sale and the right size wasn’t !

Actually fall is a great time to evaluate your options and decide or be ready to decide before boat show and have the right boat ready to go when you are !

Just my 2 pennies worth…. :]
    Either way happy shopping & good luck !

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I went into this very situation in the fall of 2015. I was intending to buy a 2016 model at or during the boat show. Well I stumbled across a new 2015 model with what I wanted for a lower price, plus some free extras. Dealers are looking to get rid of their 2019 models to make room for 2020 ones. They’ll negotiate. I’d look into this Aaron.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I am highly opinionated on this !
    Actually fall is a great time to evaluate your options and decide or be ready to decide before boat show and have the right boat ready to go when you are !

Just my 2 pennies worth…. :]
    Either way happy shopping & good luck !

‘ya know Dean, you and your team would make it easier on people up there if you would just pick up an Alumacraft franchise,,,,

Just sayin’, HRG

Aaron Oakdale
    Oakdale

‘ya know Dean, you and your team would make it easier on people up there if you would just pick up an Alumacraft franchise,,,,

Just sayin’, HRG
    [/quote]

I had the same thoughts exactly regarding Dean. I too wish he was an Alumacraft dealer. Thanks everyone for your advice. I am really considering making a purchase before the boat show after reading all of these replies.

Musky Ed

Full disclosure, I purchased my last boat in the fall, and not only got what I thought was a fair deal, fair trade in, but also ended up with it rigged in the way that was important to me. Also had no worries of boat being ready in the spring, and I had alot of added rigging. A good dealer is so important to a pleasurable boat buying experience. Purchasing in the fall worked out great for me, also didn’t feel rushed when fine tuning the rigging, as I think they had a little more time to work with me, than lets say if you ordered a boat at boat show time, and you have alot of setup questions and requests, and its late April.

snelson223
    Austin MN

The Boat Center does sell Starcraft. If your looking for a tiller they look pretty nice.

If you want your boat by opener I wouldn’t wait for the boat show. Shops are very busy in the spring and you might not get your boat till june.

Andrew Pansch

If you believe the price is a fair price why wait. People get so up tight about a few hundred dollars they may lose out on the purchase they may have liked more. You win some price deals and you lose some. The important thing is getting a fair price and the one you want.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I read your post and knew exactly what I was going to say…but Dean beat me to it.

I went to a number of boat shows… It’s a great place to put your hands on many different brands and models. Financially, fall is still a better time.

Dealers (in general) don’t want to store last years inventory.
    Most cases they are paying interest to someone on them as well.

Lastly, you’ll have it in your garage so your wife will know where to find you all winter. True story.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The Boat Center does sell Starcraft. If your looking for a tiller they look pretty nice.

To echo what Scotty said… We do have the all new StarCraft 188 tiller on our showroom floor here in Ramsey as well as the Delta 168T on the floor. Might be worth a look

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I also made a Fall purchase years ago and did not regret it. Dealers can say what they want, but with the size of boats today and the push to move volume…storing year-old inventory is just not ideal. If you are serious about buying, I’d be going into dealers now asking about their leftover models with the cash or approved financing in-hand. Find the model you are after in multiple places and be very upfront that you are going to take the best deal you can find. If they can’t beat the competition, walk out and don’t leave your cell number or e-mail. They have room to move on prices regardless of what things may be perceived to be.

The shows are a great time to look the Winter BEFORE you are planning to purchase. Too many people shell out the cash at the Winter/Spring shows only to receive their boat in June. To me, the best fishing of the year takes place from late March to mid-June. I’d rather have my boat in the months of April, May, and June than any other combination.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

Not to over simplify it, but I would price it out now and if it’s a deal you’re comfortable with then go for it, if not wait. I had a similar situation last year and ended up waiting until the MPLS boat show. I had a specific in stock 2018 boat priced out in late Sept. and then went to the same dealer at the boat show and asked if that boat was still available. It was and I got it for exactly $3K less 4 months later. One other thing to consider is the amount you will get selling your boat (assuming you are selling your current boat) and how quick it will sell. I also felt more confident that I could sell my boat at a slightly better price and definitely quicker in the spring vs. the fall.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.