Best Walleye Rod under $100

• bitzenguy
    ROCHESTER

I have a Limit Creek Smoothie and I absolutely Love it.
    I have 2 Gloomis GL3’s and A custom rod that my wife had made for me and I also have a St Croix Avid. But the first rod I always pick up is the Limit Creek, Can’t explain why but this rod feels the best to me.

drewbop
    Duluth

I feel like I can’t go wrong with any of your suggestions.

Ordered a HMX/President 6′ 6″ ML combo from Reeds for $100. Hopefully I’ll enjoy it as much as most of you all have.

Thanks

tim hurley

Funny the guy who posted is getting the HMX and I was just reading for the fun of it and I am now going to get (pretty sure) a limit creek-think I’ll get the medium action not the smootie, just wish they had them at more stores, will have to go to Blue Ribbon Tackle.
    BTW that combo is a great deal, you will love that President.

shockers
    Rochester

The smoothie is pretty versatile, Tim

I’ve caught crappie and eyes (on purpose) and some tank northern (not on purpose). It did great on all of em.

catmando
    wis

Berkeley series one or a limit Creek telescope med light 8fter love that rod!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If we’re transitioning to rod type need info.

Braid or mono, majority vertical or pitching, average size jigs?

Always braid for jigging and pitching – anywhere from 1/8th to 3/8th oz. The right braid is so much more sensitive than mono and when you fish the river, braid seems to handle the potential big fish much better.

Caught a 35″ pike on P4 this spring on a Limit Creek Smoothie and 6# Suffix 832. The rod and line never missed a beat.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I got a lot of top end rods, St. Croix Legends, G Loomis GLX, etc. But my most used rod is still my old 6’6″ ML Avid. I got it for $100 bucks at Scheels when it was on their bargain rack and I love pitching jigs with that thing on the smaller interior rivers of Iowa. It’s not super fast, like my 6’10” Legend Elite, so the tip is softer, but it packs a lot of power when landing larger fish. Throws a 1/16th oz jig like a dream. I would have to say, try and find an Avid on sale, I still think they are the cat’s meow:)

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Gander has got to have some great deals by now. I have a couple $100 Fenwicks but always go back to a $60 guide series combo for jigging. My 15 year old rod has been plenty broke in and still has lots of life left.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have a couple Limit Creek Smoothies and one of the 8’2″ extendable rods and all of them are top notch rods. While the 8’@ is designated a “walleye” rod it does a super job on crappies. I also have a couple of the Triumph 6’6″ rods and they too are great rods. Don’t get all caught up in this sensitivity thing at a hundred bucks….if you want more sensitivity, use braid line

Take your c-note out shopping and when you find a rod that feels good to you you’ve found what you need. Now find a Symetre or Sahara, or a president or what have you that balances that rod and you’ll be happy. There are a lot of rod/reel combos on the market today that for $100.00 bucks will give you a ton of dependable enjoyment.

Justin riegel

I bough a couple carrott stix’s at the sport show for $100. both 7’1″ one is med light and the other is light, i love both of them, I have put the st. croix’s in the rod locker for most of the season, I know it was special they were running for the show, so i am not sure what the cost is now.

riverfishin11

I’m not in the market for a rod, but was looking at Limit Creek and was impressed. Might wind up getting one for my wife.

Great idea I got 3

big_g
    Isle, MN

Berkley lightning rods are hard to beat.

I use these as my $40 2 piece fly-in Rods paired with Shimano Symetre’s 2500’s… for a $100 Rod, I like Mr. Walleye …. $70 rods mrgreen

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.