Best TV Streaming Devices

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So what are you guys using? Like or dislike.

A recent post has finally given me the courage to cut the cord. I’ll be signing up for the PlayStation Vue subscription to pickup Wild hockey this fall.

The way I see it I won’t be missing out on anything. Only saving money after buying some equipment. It’ll probably only take 2-3 months to pay for it in savings yay

I’ve been considering the following:
    Roku 3
    Roku Streaming Stick
    Amazon Fire Stick

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Will be interested also to see the replies. I’m not cutting the cable, but would be interested in streaming device to get additional content and to be able to watch things on tablet when not at home.

Currently, DirectTV only allows streaming of content if you’re on your home network. Great if we’re at home, not so good if at cabin or on the road.

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Something that might interest you. All three of the ones I listed can be brought with you and used from any wifi network. Including a hotel, cabin, etc…

blank

I have a Roku 2 and I like it, but don’t use it to it’s full potential. Streaming YouTube is a bit slow and there is a terrible lag when navigating it. Netflix and other channels are quick and easy though. When comparing all of the Rokus, I’d probably take the stick over the 3 which you’re looking at. It doesn’t appear to offer $40 worth of added features over the stick. It might be helpful to swing into Best Buy and ask the gurus there.

404 ERROR
    MN

I cut the cord on cable and satellite over a year ago. I use an Apple TV with Netflix, Hulu and NHL Center Ice. As of halfway through the NHL season last year, I was very happy. NHL Center Ice was somewhat re-structured and most NHL games were blacked out via them. Very upsetting considering a subscription was around $150/yr. Called to complain and the refunded me my money. I am now in the market for means of streaming NHL games with ease.

All said and done, I couldn’t be happier. The initial investment of 2 $100 Apple TV’s (one for the living room and one for the bedroom) and we were set. We now pay $81/month for internet, Netlix and Hulu. Previously, we were paying $190/month for internet and satellite, which we never used! It’s crazy to think we save $1,300/year. yeah, we sometimes think cable or satellite would be nice, then we think how much we save and the thought leaves our minds.

Chris Hesselberg
    Holmen Wi

Amazon fire stick and my wife added kodi to it watch any movie any tv show ever she also found a way to put live TV on it HBO showtime Cinemax sports channels ESPN fishing network fox sports nfl network 135 us/Canada channels and 40 sports channels for 8 bucks a month but she is a geek like that

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I cut the cord in favor of Hulu, Vudu, and Netflix about 2 years ago. Less expensive, good content, and I’ve never looked back. Happy!

My main TV has built-in apps for various streaming services, so I don’t need anything there. I use a Roku 2 on the other TV and that’s been good enough the past few years. Roku comes with a fair amount of “bloat” channels that you can ignore/delete, and as menitoned, the Roku 2 can be slow on a few items.

When I’m away from home I can watch most things directly via my tablet without carrying around a portable streaming stick. So, if I were updating today for in the house, I’d probably go with the Roku 4; fast and great picture quality.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I haven’t watched a commercial in 9 months or so. Roku stick, Amazon prime and Netflix.

Cable, never again.

I’m going to be trying Kingpintv. Has all the sports live which is all I really watch, but it also has the same shows if not more as Netflix, hulu. We will see how it works.

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

I have a Roku stick and two Roku 3. The Roku 3 is hands down much better than the stick and well worth the extra money.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have a Roku stick and two Roku 3. The Roku 3 is hands down much better than the stick and well worth the extra money.

Thanks for the response. In what ways is it better? Their website doesn’t really go into detail what the differences are.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Thanks for the response. In what ways is it better? Their website doesn’t really go into detail what the differences are.

speed, mostly. and when streaming, this impacts both the menu functions as well as picture quality.

Roku stick: slower processor, no box/wires.
    Roku 2: faster processor
    Roku 3: faster processor, more remote functions
    Roku 4: fastest processor

How-to-Geek Explains: Which Roku Should You Get?

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

I haven’t had cable in roughly three years, simply due to the high monthly cost of DirectTV. I use an AppleTV upstairs, and my smart TV downstairs. I also placed a digital antenna inside of my garage attic and wired it to both TV’s so I can still pick up news etc. I really like the AppleTV, but the lack of programming that interests me on it (and apps like Netflix) discourages me. Downstairs, my Samsung smart TV has Amazon Prime streaming tv, and that seems to be really high quality.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

speed, mostly. and when streaming, this impacts both the menu functions as well as picture quality.

Roku stick: slower processor, no box/wires.
    Roku 2: faster processor
    Roku 3: faster processor, more remote functions
    Roku 4: fastest processor

How-to-Geek Explains: Which Roku Should You Get?

Looks like the story above was prior to the release of the 2016 version of the streaming stick. The 2016 version has an upgraded quad core processor like the roku 3.

I made my decision and purchased the streaming stick. So far I am very impressed with the speed. It has a rf remote which something I’ve missed having direct tv. I have read that there have been issues with the roku remotes. We’ll see.

So far so good.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

good call, if they upped the processing power that much it’s probably in the sweet spot for cost/value.

matthewkolden

We dropped direct a few months ago and went with the Amazon fire tv stick. We love it. Its fast, easy, and has everything we want. With a subscription to Netflix and Hulu (22 bucks total) we have more content than ever before. Also, there’s an app called sling tv. You pay a month by month fee, something like 20 bucks, and you get live tv. Espn, fix sports north, history, plus a bunch else. We are planning,to use that during the hockey and football seasons, and Then,me just don’t use it all summer. Even with hulu, Netflix and sling tv we are well below what we paid directv.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So I’m at day 3 with the roku and the only regret is I didn’t find it sooner. I signed up for sling tv for $25/mo and have all the channels I watched before when I was paying $140/mo with direct tv and $80/mo with my local cable co.

Anyone feel like TPing direct tv HQ this weekend? I’m pissed at how much they scammed from me. Ok I gave it to them voluntarily, my bad. doah

I’ve been extremely happy with the speed and performance of the streaming stick. No regrets there.

Looking forwar to my can’t miss shows for a reasonable price. Still not sure where Fargo is going to end up for the next season yet.

Longmire
    Fargo
    The Curse of Oak Island
    Vikings (not the circus on turf) coffee
    Expedition Unknown
    Mysteries Unearthed
    Wild Hockey

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tmorgz wrote:</div>

I know this response is a little late, but where the roku 3 outperformed was in range of signal. I could not get the stick to work in basement and 3 worked great. Also had many problems with stick remote and rare with 3.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

With all of these different options listed, do you need internet service to make them work? If so where are you going for that?

fontime

I want to cut the TV cable, but with the streaming devices available how or what service will get the major channels(ABC,Fox, NBC Etc?)
    I tried the OTA with the boosters and can not get the major networks.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m not sure if you’ll be able to get all of them. Best thing to do is check out the following services.

Sling
    PlayStation Vue
    YouTube TV

Problem is that these services usually have a couple but not all.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

With all of these different options listed, do you need internet service to make them work? If so where are you going for that?

I have a roku 2 and happy with it. As for conection I use my samsung tablet to teather to it using tmobile . Ive gotten up to 24 g before being threataned to slow me down onthe binge networks like netflix slingtv, showtime and amazon prime. The binge does not work against your data qnd if used correctly you still can bank data to cover when you do hit that threshold.

Don’t forget to use those free trial periods for channels. Be creative you maybe able to get more than one free trial.

jtstarvinmarvin
    Woodbury, MN

First, I just wanted to say, “Thank you” to biggill posting this. This got the ball rolling for me and I have now cut the cord. It’s only been 2 weeks but so far I’ve been very happy. (saving over $100 a month) Long story short… I went with SlingTV (blue package), DVR cloud service(50 hrs) for an extra $5 a month and used the coupon on their site to get the Roku Ultra for $50. *Very close to going with YouTube TV though
    ——————————————————————————–
    Longer story here :

I just wanted to post some gotchas/things to look out for that I found after doing a little research on these 3:
    Sling TV
    YouTube TV
    PlayStation Vue

I’m sure there are a lot more, but these were some of the things I noticed as it pertained to me and more importantly my wife. (2 kids)

Sling TV

2 different packages. Blue and Orange
    Blue – doesn’t have ESPN but has Fox Sports, NFL Network
    Orange – Has ESPN and Disney Channel but doesn’t have Fox Sports
    *You can get both packages but it will cost you more.

DVR service only offers 50 hours of recording time.

No local channels really, but I was able to record This is Us and a few other NBC shows my wife watches, you can also watch through NBC on-demand. Fox is also available. We have an HDTV air antenna to make up for this. If this is a concern. YouTube TV might be a better choice

I don’t believe they have ABC or CBS either

YouTube TV: *I was very close to going with this one too

Roku doesn’t work with YouTube TV (need Chromecast or something else) I believe YouTube will send you a free Chromecast with signup
    No HGTV yet
    Have both ESPN and FOX Sports
    Has better local channels than Sling.
    No limit on DVR /saves shows for 9 months
    Have CBS and ABC
    Sony Vue ~

Didn’t research too much. A little more expensive than the Youtube/Sling route

watisituya
    North Metro

I have an Xbox on one tv, amazon fire on a TV and a device called google chrome cast on the third, out of all the devices the most used and the one that is placed on the main TV is the Chrome cast. Basically Netflix, you tube, Sling, websites through Chrome all have the option to stream to Chrome cast. You open your phone/tablet/computer go to what you want to watch and select the cast to chrome cast button, that device basically becomes a remote after that. The convenience of using your phone is far superior to any of the other devices.
    You will need Wifi for this though…

Oh we have Xfinity X1, which in my humble opinion is the best cable/sat service out now and this rarely is used due to the selection/ease of use of the chrome cast…

orve4

I have Apple TV on one tv and love it. We also have a Amazon fire stick on the other and works well. Glad we got rid of satellite TV long ago. we live stream HULU so we still can watch our live sports and some tv channel.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.