best trolling motor batteries for the money

• Craig Schmitt
    west union ia

Looking for opinions on trolling batteries for 24volt system. What’s the best for the money.

Thanks for any input

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

You’ll hear a lot of people say Interstate which are about $150 a pop.

When I had my 36 volt system I ran Everstart Maxx group 29 and never had an issue. My thought process is that there are WalMart’s all over the place should I have a warranty problem and are about $100 a pop.

It’s what worked well for me.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I just replace my trolling motor batteries with Interstates from Fleet Farm. They are on sale for 89.00 each (normal 109.00) for the 27DC size. I also had a starting battery bought at FF in June of last year. This was a Brite Start battery. It was bad by this spring. It was covered by warranty but I wouldn’t touch one of those again.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

That’s a good price for interstate at fleet farm.
    I didn’t have luck with Interstate batteries so I went with another battery Fleet Farm caries which is Absolute made by Penn. Went 7 years on the first one going on 4 with the one I have now a few d going strong. Same price as interstate when not on sale.

riverbassman

FYI…. Interstate Batteries and Walmart (Everstart) batteries are made by Johnson controls (Johnson Outdoors). I think it is funny when they get compared

bigpike

FYI…. Interstate Batteries and Walmart (Everstart) batteries are made by Johnson controls (Johnson Outdoors). I think it is funny when they get compared

Dosent mean they are coming off the same line with different stickers though that very well might be. Much technology in a battery.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>riverbassman wrote:</div>

Dosent mean they are coming off the same line with different stickers though that very well might be. Much technology in a battery.

And Johnson Controls and Johnson Outdoors are not owned by the same company at all.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Have tried a few different brands over the many years and have had the best luck with Walmart specials.

bigpike

A real key in battery life is maintenance. My battery tender is plugged in on my boat at all times that its possible. All winter long also. My current trolling motor batterys are from 2014 and I dont buy the expensive ones just good ones.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

I looked into AGM batteries and the best bang for the buck was Sam’s Club. I compared the specs with Batteries Plus and others. I would check what size you can fit in your battery storage. I went with the biggest batteries I could fit in the storage area. It was a little tight but I squeaked in two Group 31. My brothers boat was Group 27.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracell-agm-deep-cycle-marine-and-rv-battery-group-size-31dtmagm/prod3590232.ip?xid=plp_product_1_1

huskerdu

Just upgraded to 31 interstate AGM
    Old 29s wet cells were 5 years old about all I have ever seen last in my boat

robby
    Quad Cities

Walmart. Batteries Plus. Sam’s Club. Costco I suspect. Just look at their specs and date of manufacture. I use wet cells.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

. Agree . Johnson controls used to make the vast majority of batteries in the us , just slap different names on them . They recently sold the battery division to a Canadian comp . The only way to compare batteries is by individual specs and price , not brands. Johnson controls and Johnson outdoors are not the same

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Johnson controls used to make the vast majority of batteries in the us , just slap different names on them .

I’ve had this argument before. Just because they’re made under the same roof doesn’t mean they are the same. If two different brands can’t make different batteries, then there’s no point whatsoever to even get in the business.

You might as well call ford, Chevy and Toyota all the same with a different emblem. Many of their parts are made under the same roof.

The difference is design and quality specs. Loosened tolerances result in less cost.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only way to compare batteries is by individual specs and price , not brands.

This I agree with. It also proves they’re different.

fishingchallenged

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mike Martine wrote:</div>
    Johnson controls used to make the vast majority of batteries in the us , just slap different names on them .

I’ve had this argument before. Just because they’re made under the same roof doesn’t mean they are the same. If two different brands can’t make different batteries, then there’s no point whatsoever to even get in the business.

You might as well call ford, Chevy and Toyota all the same with a different emblem. Many of their parts are made under the same roof.

The difference is design and quality specs. Loosened tolerances result in less cost.

I agree that the same company has product lines with different performance specs, but quality systems are typically plant driven. So the batteries are different, but if they have quality control issues it will likely show up in all their product lines made within the same plant.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I agree that the same company has product lines with different performance specs, but quality systems are typically plant driven. So the batteries are different, but if they have quality control issues it will likely show up in all their product lines made within the same plant.

That may be true in some cases but the quality and design specs have more to do with the overall quality of a product than the plant itself.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.