Best treble hook for tip-ups?

• pass0047
    Pool4

Now that vmc sureset treble hooks are not available( at least I can’t find) what would people recommend for northern fishing?
    Thanks
    Geoffrey

bigcrappie
    Blaine

They are available on Janns Net Craft web site and show in stock. There other web sites that have them also. GOOGLE is your friend

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Depends what your fishing for. If I’m fishing pike or bass then I run circle hooks. If im going walleye I run small gamigatsu trebles. (Might have spelt gami wrong)

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I run suresets but after seeing my buddy catch 10 walleye to my 1 on his tip ups on a metro lake over the weekend, I might be switching to small trebles like Bearcat mentioned. Couldn’t believe how small of trebles he was using.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

for those of you that use treble hooks how do put your minnows on?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I run small treble hooks and hook the minnow through only one hook as if it were a single hook. Since I started using these on my tip ups my hook up rate went to about 99 %

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

I run small treble hooks and hook the minnow through only one hook as if it were a single hook. Since I started using these on my tip ups my hook up rate went to about 99 %

Same

Dave maze
    Isanti

I run those small trebles on tip downs and dropper rigs. They are the size of a big mosquito. Hookup percentage is crazy good.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Are we talking like a size 14 ?

Dave maze
    Isanti

Not sure on the size. My pack has no tag on it.

Attachments:
    1. 2655.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Are we talking like a size 14 ?

I think its 12 or 14. I’d have to look. And my gear is all put away In my shack right now.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Btw, I wouldn’t use anything bigger than a small fathead with this size hook.

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

I wonder why the discontinued the Sureset trebles, god I love those hooks. Thankfully I bought a bunch last year.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use bigger fat heads and regular size shiners

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’ve always really liked the VMC Sure Set Treble, which they discontinued. I may have to try some mini trebles to compare.

Jann’s has some of the bigger Sure Sets, including the size 6 for larger suckers. The size 8 is terrific for walleyes. I bought like $75 worth when they were discontinued. Light-wire trebles are absolutely the way to go.

Ryan Wilson

I like a size 2 VMC Barbarian treble. Hook a shiner either directly in front, in the middle, or directly behind the dorsal fin depending on how I want the fish to sit.

Wisconsincanman
    Tomahawk, Wi

I use a #12 treble on my tip-ups for walleye’s, I use big shiners, 4″, I hook them behind the dorsal fin, there’s big perch where I fish, they seem to let the bigger shiners along.

riverruns
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dave maze wrote:</div>

Now when you say regular size shiners, are you talking the shiners we use use for tip-up fishing northern and bass? There is no way a #12 or #14 hook is going into that meat and doing a hook set into a large northern or bass.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Bearcat said he uses the small trebles for walleye and circle hooks for pike and bass.

muskynate27

For walleyes I’ve been running tru-turn single hooks for about 5 years. I’ve noticed absolutely no difference in hookups during that time, and it’s so convenient if you get a deeper hooked fish, or dealing with smaller fish. I’ll never go back to trebles.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dave maze wrote:</div>

Now when you say regular size shiners, are you talking the shiners we use use for tip-up fishing northern and bass? There is no way a #12 or #14 hook is going into that meat and doing a hook set into a large northern or bass.

Circle hooks for my pike and bass

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.