Best LOTW resort for ice fishing

• BRANDON RINGWOLSKI

Hey guys,
    I’m taking my dad and grandpa for our first walleye trip to LOTW in march. I’m just wondering if I can get lodge recommendations for places that will put you on fish or move you if you are not. My grandpa is 83 so running and gunning is not an option. Also would you recommend a lodge that has road access to drive out on our own or take their transport? Thanks in advance.

I am currently looking at arnesons, sportsmans, zipple, wheelers, and river bend.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I was just up at Zipple Bay last week. They have good, wide roads and the 3 houses I fished out of were on fish. Last Thursday morning we had our 2 man limit of 8 Walleye and 8 Sauger in an hour and a half! Went in, cleaned our fish. Went and setup with some big sucker minnows and went Pike fishing in the afternoon. It was a good time and they get my recommendation!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Many places to chose from.
    Many of the resorts take you to and from ice shacks. Although the ride in an old Bombardier or other track vehicle is fun, might be a little tough on an 83 year old. Pretty cramped spaces.
    Zipple bay would be a great choice. Nice accomadations, should be able to drive yourself, and hopefully they’d have there Ice Igloo bar still operating.
    That’s it’s own unique experience.
    Another palce with very good accomadations and ice roads would be Cyrus resort. Also on the south shore.
    Have stayed there many times.
    There’s alot of choices on the rainy but your drives to and from ice shacks will be longer.
    That’s about all I have to offer.
    Have fun

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Many places to chose from.
    Zipple bay would be a great choice. Nice accomadations, should be able to drive yourself, and hopefully they’d have there Ice Igloo bar still operating.
    That’s it’s own unique experience.
    Have fun

The Igloo is pretty cool! I spent a couple hours in there last week as well and caught 4 fish!! 2 Walleyes and 2 Sauger. Pretty cool sitting there, enjoying a Rum and Coke, and fishing inside the bar. This year its setup in about 13-15′. Those 4 fish came after 8pm at night. And from what I was told, They catch some nice Walleyes and Pike in there often.

Wherever you go, Good luck and enjoy it!

mike-west
    Amery, WI

That’s great to hear you defeated the old wise tale of “All You Catch is pout” after dark on LOTW’s.
    Very cool

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I only have experience at Sportsman Lodge. It was my first experience and they did a great job. We did the all inclusive so we got our lunches delivered on the ice and breakfast and dinner at the lodge. The staff was friendly, and we were checked on every few hours or so. Would recommend them.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

My suggestion would be to stay at Sportman’s Lodge as it seems to be the nicest resort up there from a lodging/entertainment/food side and then fish out of Adrian’s. That’ll get you a house and road pass from them. We used to go up there every year and we’d actually stay at Slim’s Resort when it was under different ownership next to the Sportsman’s and walk there to save money wit lodging. Also going out of Adrian’s with your own vehicle allows you to get out there earlier and stay later. We fished out of Sportsman’s one year and they pick you up so early you miss the best fishing. We were picked up, brought back and all showered and went to the bar and it was still light out.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I have stayed at the Wigwam but that was years ago and this year they have new owners so they may have made changes. The past 3 years we have been at Sportmans and have always enjoyed it. This year we are changing it up and going to Ballards Resort at the end of February. So far I’ve heard great things about Ballards.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Tried Sportsman’s and Ballards. Both were great and wouldn’t hesitate to go back to either one. Liked Sportsman’s bar better but it’s only walking distance from Ballards.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I am currently looking at arnesons, sportsmans, zipple, wheelers, and river bend.

Literally, throw a dart. Haven’t heard anything bad about any of them. The only one on your list I haven’t been to is Sportsman’s. I’d recommend them all.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

2 weeks from today, I will be able to tell you about my experience with river bends cool

jld
    Holmen

Stayed at Wigwam last year. Actually found a sleeper the week before in mid March. It was nothing special but clean and warm. Fishing was slow everywhere talking with folks but we managed enough for a big meal and took a few home. They checked on us a couple times and were good about info. Drive yourself on and off. Like having that choice. Would recommend. Also, caught my biggest walleye through the ice ever at midnight. Nice fat 27″er.

skfishing16

I’ve been to Arnesons and Zipple Bay. Did well both places. Zipple has well marked roads and the Igloo Bar is worth checking out.

jtstarvinmarvin
    Woodbury, MN

Borderview. We have always done well and the heated bathrooms are a nice touch. *Although maybe they all do that.

I’ve only stayed at Borderview and Zipple (sleepers only)

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Do they all charge about same for equal services?

KP
    Hudson, WI

They all are within a 100 bucks for their fishing packages. I’m going out of Ballards this year and they are 50 bucks more than Sportsmans was last year. So will have to see if the 50 bucks more is worth it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.