Best Lake Erie Open water lures/colors

• richsn
    SE/NW WI

Looking ahead, I’m going to hit Lake Erie Open water for the FIRST time this spring.

While I have lots of different walleye trolling lures, I thought I’d ask as to what the recent “hot” lures/colors have been.

Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

#12 & #14 Deep Husky Jerks.

#9 Deep Taildancers

#9 Shad Raps

Scatter Rap Taildancers

Water clarity determines color patterns. Make sure you have a mix of metallic and bright patterns. Green UV is a killer out there every time we make the trip and the water color is a bit dirty.

Here’s a show we did a couple years ago on Erie. The bite was…nuts. 👍

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Locals will push the bandits and perfect 10s. Like James mentioned, husky jerks do us very well. YoZuri walleye divers also do very well.

Gobbles are EVERYWHERE in there, so don’t pass up running various goby colors in greens, purple, with Gold.

Many of the baits I use out there are custom painted. We do a lot on wonder bread styled patterns. Traditional wonder bread, purple with neon green dots, green/gold, pink/purple

Avoid muddy water. If it’s dirty, move. We usually target out of Catawba and head to clean water depending on timing. Prespawn and late post is excellent in the islands. They migrate east to west to come in to spawn on the reefs.

Watch the satellite images to see where the transition lines are

grizzly
    nebraska

WE used reef runners alot behind boards and in spring we put meat on the front hooks, got a lot more fish with it on. was times we couldnt get a bite without it. wonder bread color was really hot most days

bruce s

i would suggest you google “capt jules port clinton”, she has a daily blog during the season and is very willing to share colors, how much line to put out and much more. she gives locations and fish numbers caught.
    last year was my 2nd going to lake erie and we followed her advice and most days filled up.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

We pull Husky Jerks & Reef Runners. Colors vary depending on water clarity. Dark water (muddy) we use dark colors (Purples & blues). Clearer water & we go with the lighter colors (Wonder Bread, Clown, Pink Lemonade. etc).

One thing we’ve learned over the years is to watch the water temp. Once the water hits the low to mid 50’s we switch over to pulling spinners with big blades & crawler harnesses. I haven’t been out there in a couple years & unfortunately don’t think I’ll be making it out again this year for the spring bite.

http://www.walleye.com has a good reports on there for the Western Basin & yes, Capt. Juls is definitely one to follow.

nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

There are lots of color options. One that has always worked for us is blue/chrome back with orange belly. I custom painted a couple trying to match the above factory color, ended up with a light blue back, orange belly and chartreuse strip down the side, crushed them with that one. My real focus out there though is speed, depth and direction. We keep trying different things until we start getting bit. Some days it’s all running downwind and another day is bucking the wind.

richsn
    SE/NW WI

ALL: THANKS for the feedback, I’ve done a lot of walleye trolling but know that there are significant differences location to location. I’m already looking at Capt Juls links!! (Thanks for that advice!)

Other than the above, where generally is the early (March/April) spring bite located?? I’ve been told best depths are 30-35 feet and up running yor baits 10-20 feet down, yes/no. (I do realize that on any given day it is ALL different, just looking for a good place to start)

I ice fished Erie about 5 years ago straight out of the Magee Marsh Park area, West of the Nuke plant. I did take a couple drives around to familiarize myself with the area and went to the boat launch over by Catawba Island St Park.

(JAMES, thanks for the reply and link, I actually have THAT particular episode recorded and saved on my DVR, LOL!!)

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

We go the second week in April. We use the Catawba access and fish the “cans” or the Mazurik access and fish around the islands. Lots of open water. Watch the reports on the link I posted above & they will tell you where they are catching fish. a lot of those charters will go fish the reefs and hammer the fish, but usually not a whole lot to size. trolling is the way to go. Simple, Fun, & Relaxing.

Ripjiggen

Bandits…

I should clarify this is the bait that all the locals talk about, like mentioned above.
    I am not local but it’s the one bait that they keep talking about.
    Will be making my first trip out there this spring as well.
    Feel free to pm me and maybe we can come up with a pattern that is working together as the time comes closer.

richsn
    SE/NW WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>
    Bandits…

I should clarify this is the bait that all the locals talk about, like mentioned above.
    I am not local but it’s the one bait that they keep talking about.
    Will be making my first trip out there this spring as well.
    Feel free to pm me and maybe we can come up with a pattern that is working together as the time comes closer.

Will do, depending on timing if we’re there at the same time, we could coordinate and “team fish”.
    Yeah, I’ve got some Bandits. (AND Rapala DHJ’s and Tail Dancers, AND Reef Runners, AND Flicker Minnows, and…well, you get the picture, LOL!!)

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Troll BIG Bandits, BIG HJ, BIG Flicker Minnows, you get the idea.
    Custom colors are BIG business around Erie.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’m not sure where you are staying, but if near Port Clinton, go see the boys at Fisherman’s Wharf right in town. They are a hoot & will help you out with what is working. They also run a couple charter boats out of there.
    http://www.wecatchfish.com

richsn
    SE/NW WI

I’m not sure where you are staying, but if near Port Clinton, go see the boys at Fisherman’s Wharf right in town. They are a hoot & will help you out with what is working. They also run a couple charter boats out of there.
    http://www.wecatchfish.com

THANKS. I remember this place from when I was there ice fishing.

YES, lodging will probably be the next question I ask. More concerned about having room for the boat, plug in, etc., than the room itself.

I’d never stay at the last place I stayed at again (and I’m not that picky)

grizzly
    nebraska

we stayed out on the islands last time i was there and it seemed easyer to get out fishing if wind was blowing

phoyem
    Minneapolis

When are you heading up? I’ll be fishing Erie out of put in bay April 30, may 1, May 2 for the first time. Already excited!

richsn
    SE/NW WI

We’re still sorting that out. Waiting for one piece of equipment for my boat and then just watching the forecast looking for 3-4 days of good weather.

Probably be there before May 1, but if it’s good, could go back once I get a handle on the layout, etc. I’m retired now so the only thing stopping my is the weather and having one or more of my fishing partners available.

Yeah, I’m pretty fired up too.

phoyem
    Minneapolis

Nice! Let me know how you guys do!

Working and coaching full time I’m just crossing my fingers the 3 days I’ll be up there, will be not too windy. We have 22′ grady white which helps, and hopefully being around the islands even if it is windy, we can find a spot with fish that is somewhat protected.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.