Best ice fishing rods

• YoungGunz2
    Maple Grove MN

Hi everyone, I just want to know if there is any “all-around” rods that offer both a soft tip as well as a stiff “backbone” to it, one that I could catch a good size Crappie on as well as an eater size Walleye. Any suggestions would be great to here, thanks.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

You pretty much described the quicktip from TUCR

YoungGunz2
    Maple Grove MN

Thanks Ben, ill go check it out.

Amos
    Perry, Michigan

If $$$ are an issue, some of the new Fenwicks might work for you.

You don’t here much talk about them anymore since the quiversticks came out, but a longer Thorne panfish sweetheart is an extremely sensitive rod with a pile of backbone that handles large slabs and walleye. I have a few longer ones strung with braid that I fully consider walleye rods for finicky bite situations. I had a quicktip for a short while, but found the taper too aggressive for my liking.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

The panfish sweetheart is exactly what you’re looking for it’s got a slower action than the extra fast quiverstick. If your around the west metro I’ve got most of what Thorne makes and would be happy to let you take them for a spin.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I have the TUCr Quick Tip for and that’s what it is.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

X3 on the Thorne bros panfish sweetheart I have 8 of them from 28″ to 36″ and love them. Good for gills, crappie, perch and will still handle that 4-5lb. fish no problem. I have caught many 15″-20″ bass on the Mississippi backwaters with them. Fun rod to fish with.

Egts

If you are a tip watcher, & use lighter baits get a Thorne Bros Power Noodle. My 32″ Power Noodle has just as much backbone as my TUCR Quicktip. It’s worth 10 times it’s weight when crappies are on a light or up bite. It’s the first rod out of my bag every time. I have landed several largemouth over 5#’s & the rod handled them with ease. If you are a feel the bite guy look at the Thorne Bros Quiverstick or Sweet heart. I prefer the Thorn Bros actions to TUCR & I’ve got 4 TUCR’s. But both companies make excellent rods & you’d be happy with either.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

If you are a tip watcher, & use lighter baits get a Thorne Bros Power Noodle. My 32″ Power Noodle has just as much backbone as my TUCR Quicktip. It’s worth 10 times it’s weight when crappies are on a light or up bite. It’s the first rod out of my bag every time. I have landed several largemouth over 5#’s & the rod handled them with ease. If you are a feel the bite guy look at the Thorne Bros Quiverstick or Sweet heart. I prefer the Thorn Bros actions to TUCR & I’ve got 4 TUCR’s. But both companies make excellent rods & you’d be happy with either.

You couldn’t have said it any better Egts !!!

Shane

So for the feel the bite guy what TUCR would you compare to the quiverstick or sweetheart??

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

So for the feel the bite guy what TUCR would you compare to the quiverstick or sweetheart??

@sdatver

The TUCR Quicktip would be the closest comparison to the Quiverstick and the TUCR Precision would be the closest comparison to the Perch Sweetheart.

Egts

James is spot on. The TUCR Quicktip has a ton more backbone than the Quiverstick. There are not to many fish in the mid west that the Quicktip couldn’t handle.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.