Best ice cleats

• turningleavesandice
    So. Iowa

Ok this might be a Ford-Chevy question. I need to replace my worn out ice cleats this year and was looking for advice on good pair that will last a while. I would also like a pair that are easy on and off if that combination is feasible.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Kahtoola MICROspikes Traction System

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

X2. Been using the same pair for 4 years now with no noticeable wear. Best ice cleats I’ve ever used. If you fall down wearing them, you shouldn’t be driving cause your drunk.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

X3 for the Kahtoola Microspikes. After using multiple types of cleats over the past 25+ years. You can’t go wrong the Microspikes.

zooks

Kahtoola MICROspikes are the “best” but since I’m lazy and rarely take them off my boots, I prefer the Icetrekkers Diamond Grips – have seen fish house carpets and truck floor mats torn up by Kahtoolas and would prefer to avoid that.

My first pair of “good” cleats were the Yaktrax Pro and they worked fine – I’ve chased down a bucket blowing across bare ice at a full sprint with the Yaktrax on, so they’ll get the job done if you want to save some $$. Good luck with what you decide.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Either the Diamond IceTrekkers or the Kathoola Micro Spikes. There are also Hillsound brand that are very similar to the Kathoolas.

I have the Hillsound Trail Crampon and Diamond, both are very good but the Hillsound have a more aggressive bite.

http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon/

turningleavesandice
    So. Iowa

Thanks for the replies everybody. Now I’ve got some searching and deciding to do!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Kahtoola Microspikes for me..

I have been using them for so long I do not remember the first year I tried them out..

Bryan Myers

Over the years the Kahtoola’s have been the best I’ve used, they hold up very well and go on easy and stay on. They are a little aggressive if your going to be wearing them in a shack or truck you might do some damage.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

For relatively inexpensive back up, I carry the STABILicer Lite Ice Cleats. They do the job well.

Pros –
    Very easy on/off
    Easy to store fro an “extra” pair when needed.
    Very light weight
    Very friendly to gortex boots

Cons
    Occasionally rolls off the heel of your boot and needs adjustment/put back on.
    If you like stomping your holes back open while hole hopping, they come off after a few holes.

I get a few guys a year they don’t own any and they are a quick life saver for them on early ice.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

wanted to revive this thread and ask a question about sizing. Looks like there are several good options for cleats. Think i’m going to go with the ICE TREKKERS Diamond Grips to spare any damage to my truck or fish house that could be caused by the Kahtoola’s. I wear a size 12 Baffin Titan boot which if you know those boots you know they are have a huge footprint. What size ICE TREKKERS Diamond Grips should I get? the website says order 2 sizes bigger than your boot size to accommodate large boots so I’m assuming the X-Large but wanted to check and see if that seems right to those that wear them. Thanks

Kong

Kahtoola’s are the best. I will never buy another pair after getting some Kahtoola’s. However, they do have some bite to them like stated before. I have put a hole in a snowmobile seat and I make sure to take them off when jumping in the truck.

zooks

wanted to revive this thread and ask a question about sizing. Looks like there are several good options for cleats. Think i’m going to go with the ICE TREKKERS Diamond Grips to spare any damage to my truck or fish house that could be caused by the Kahtoola’s. I wear a size 12 Baffin Titan boot which if you know those boots you know they are have a huge footprint. What size ICE TREKKERS Diamond Grips should I get? the website says order 2 sizes bigger than your boot size to accommodate large boots so I’m assuming the X-Large but wanted to check and see if that seems right to those that wear them. Thanks

I believe that’s your correct size – I wear size 13 Predator Extreme pac boots (also a large footprint) and the XL’s work great for me.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I saw Yaktrax has a new cleat this year, they look like kahtoolas but have a knob on back to put them on and tighten them up

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

I’ve got the Diamond Grips on my amazon xmas gift list and also plan to go XL for a size 12 rubber insulated boot.

They seem to get the next best vote after the Microspikes for those that want something a little less damaging.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Went through most the yaktraks last year and wasn’t impressed with any. Chains I thought were better than diamonds. Suppose it depends how everyone walks and boots, imo.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Not arguing, just sharing for anyone that searches for this thread in the future.

IceTrekker model comparison:

Attachments:
    1. icetrekkers.png

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve actually really like my Frabill ice cleats. I think I got them on sale for like $7, but they work really well.

The cleates themselves are more or less little flat bolts/screws sticking out the bottom.

These are the ones.
    https://www.ozarksource.com/frabill-deluxe-ice-creepers-large-fits-up-to-sz10-6576.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp112033&sc_intid=112033&gclid=CjwKCAjwj8bPBRBiEiwASlFLFVnpKGHxR2zWI3juLGG7GiM6nC6vcvJDUm1DUNN93aZ0eG8qWud52hoC1TkQAvD_BwE

Maybe give them a try if you are looking for a cheap option. I haven’t had any grip issues with them.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I never realy liked wearing cleats so I went to a different rout. Went with SNOWGEAR pull over insulated studded boot. Verry warm when wearing a 1200 gram huntin or work boot. Easy on and off. Their great on the ice and slush. The great thing is you take them you still have shoes on to drive or walk in the ice house.

Attachments:
    1. 20170127_100407.jpg

2. 20171027_103842.jpg

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.