Best Hardshell for fishing… or what's everyone use?

• crappieguy

Not referring to an insulated bib jacket for outdoor fishing on those really cold days, more about the outer shell you wear when layering up to block wind. I used to have a nice North Face hardshell, I’d use that on the days when I didn’t need my full on Frabill ice suit. It was perfect for tossing on to step out of the ice house. Well, someone (could be me) spent a little too much time at Loony’s Brews up on Rainy and left it at the bar, never to be seen again.

So now I’m in the market for a new one. I guess you could refer to these as a ski jacket too I suppose?

Anyway, what’s everyone use to cut the wind when they are layered up.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have the Striker Performance Hoody, and really like it. Only complaint is the zipper carriage pulled/broke off and despite a few emails to them, never heard back, but my local tailor fixed it for $18, and I’d still buy it again.

zooks

Same as you, whatever high end hard shell jacket I can find on clearance, currently a Black Diamond 3 layer Gore-Tex shell for wet weather or my old North Face shell where the DWR finally gave out so it got retired to use on the ice only. I’ve found that I like the fit and function on these ski/alpine jackets vs fishing/hunting specific shells but YMMV. Hope this helps, good luck.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use old stuff for ice fishing. Habit I got into many years ago when you didnt buy gear specifically for ice fishing and you didnt want to get newer stuff dirty.
    I have a couple old nylon winter jackets that just keep working great. I can put anything underneath them depending on weather. I still use carhardt bibs too but have some decent Gortex options available thanks to old sledding gear! lol

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

I’ve got a Carhartt Crowley jacket that I love for days where the full ice suit is too much. I usually just layer a hoodie under it. It cuts the wind really well, is waterproof, and still gives you plenty of room to move around and such. As a side bonus, I’ve found that this particular jacket outlasts North Face or basically any other shell I’ve tried by a mile…. It wears like absolute iron. Unsurprising, I guess.

https://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-outerwear/Crowley-Jacket-102199

crappieguy

I have the Striker Performance Hoody, and really like it. Only complaint is the zipper carriage pulled/broke off and despite a few emails to them, never heard back, but my local tailor fixed it for $18, and I’d still buy it again.

I’ve look at this on and off for a few seasons now, the pic of it online gives the appearance of it being rather tight. How well does it fit over a thicker hoodie?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve look at this on and off for a few seasons now, the pic of it online gives the appearance of it being rather tight. How well does it fit over a thicker hoodie?

It’s fairly form fitting, but I ordered my regular size and it worked over a hoodie and bibs. If I bought a new one I might go a size larger for a little more room, also they were for sale when I got mine and think it was around $60, so might be worth keeping an eye on or seeing if you can cut a deal at an ice show.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a mountain hardware shell that’s windproof and gortex. It’s great over a hoody. Or the inner layer of my striker climate is a great lighter coat

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

Carhartt sherpa lined zip hoodie

Xbomber8X
    Sartell, MN

X2 on the performance hoodie

crappieguy

So do you guys treat this thing (performance hoodie) just like an outer shell then? The one I lost was really just a ski jacket that broke the wind and repelled water. Sounds like the hoodie is the same thing with some added warmth?

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I bought the performance hoodie two years ago and it’s my winter jacket, it’s not really a sweatshirt at all. Very warm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.