Best Fish Fry?

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

My nearby neighborhood Bar / Restaurant named “Obbs” has a pretty good Friday night all you can eat fish fry during lent. Has made the Pioneer Press top 10 picks many times. waytogo

http://www.obbsbar.com

-J.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ozzyky wrote:</div>
    I don’t think valley is as good as it used to be…still good but, if just comparing fish I’d take the bluffs in Hager city over the valley every time.

Sorry for being off topic but anyone been to the Valley’s chicken fry? been invited to go this later today.

Will not be doing that again. If the sides are what I had then I would pass on the fish fry. I had better chicken at the Circle K gas station which is better than KC if fresh.

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

I am partial because my Aunt and cousins own and run it… but Wendt’s on the Lake in VanDyne ,Wi.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Seasons Tavern in North Hudson, Wi. is fantastic. Get there early, they are packed by 6:00 pm.

Deleted

I had chick-fil-a last week in Rochester , MN . It was fantastic. They only added fish sammiches & fish platters for Lent. Started Ash Wednesday . Best fish sandwich I’ve ever had *at a restaraunt* for sure. The tartar sauce was surprisingly good too.

Rod Bent

Holy Family Maronite Church in Mendota Heights. They are a Lebanese-based Catholic Church and I hear the side dishes they serve are delicious! We’re going to try them out the Friday after next.

Thanks for the reminder Sharon. We went to Holy Family. “Come for the fish, stay for the garlic sauce”. Oh that garlic sauce and flatbread is good!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

We live near Holy Family in Mendota Heights. It’s a winner for sure. But it also gets very crowded. As an aside, the Lebanese festival in the fall is out of the world food-wise.

Chris Hesselberg
    Holmen Wi

Black oak just outside of Holmen WI. Super crispy fish, salad, soup, bun, and choice of potatoe. Best around and $2.50 bottles of beer.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Apparently there are only about 3 “traditional” Lenten fish fry’s in the SW Metro and you need to be there by 3 pm to avoid an hour wait. Would love to get some more recommendations on the pretty side of the cities! chased

zooks

Apparently there are only about 3 “traditional” Lenten fish fry’s in the SW Metro and you need to be there by 3 pm to avoid an hour wait. Would love to get some more recommendations on the pretty side of the cities! chased

If you don’t count the big one at Our Lady of Grace in Edina, St. Gabriel in downtown Hopkins has an excellent Lenten fish fry and their last one is this Friday, 4/13.

Not AYCE but any family is only $25, they give a healthy amount of very good food, plus they have beer for sale for like $3 per can. Usually steady full but never have to wait for a table to open up. Get the fish taco plate, homemade salsa plus beans and spanish rice are all top notch.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you don’t count the big one at Our Lady of Grace in Edina, St. Gabriel in downtown Hopkins has an excellent Lenten fish fry and their last one is this Friday, 4/13.

Thanks, but I am more looking in the Chaska/Shako/Chan/EP area.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

The Valley Bar. Best in western Wisconsin.

Seven miles east of Prescott on highway 10.

Buffet style. Great selection. All you can eat.

The Valley has had great Friday fish fries for 3 generations. Amy the owner and chief cook continues the tradition.

Every Friday the parking lot is usually 50% Minnesota plates.

I’ve never understood the attraction to this. I’ve lived out here just a few miles from there and have tried it a handful of times over the years, even when it was Joe’s Valley. Each time I thought maybe I hit it on an off day but no, for me the fish was consistently undesirable.

I’ve not tried the chicken yet but I’d like too. Their burgers are outstanding.

My favorite is Philander’s in Prescott. I did like it better when they had the big buffet but it’s still all you can eat and they are Johnny on the spot with follow up servings.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Thanks for rebooting this thread EPG. From almost 2 years ago, I forgot all about it and don’t even remember all the good suggestions…and there were good one’s.

As history repeats itself, I’ll be going back down to Madison to visit my youngest daughter and grandsons next weekend, just like when I started this thread 2 years ago. Did the same last year too and as has been tradition, I’m sure we’ll do the Culver’s and Maple Tree again.

Nevertheless, good suggestions have been put forth. I’d like to follow up on some of those but this thread also gives good information for anyone else following.

Bon “fish” appetite’ smile
    [/quote]

Well, I’m sorry I missed this… Its always interesting the common threads of life we have Andy!!! So while growing up in southern WI, I bartended in the SE corner of Madison, so close to McFarland, most think it is in McFarland, but one of the best perch fries in all of the state of WI is at Toby’s Supper Club!!! Not sure if they still do it, but their fish fry was a Wednesday special, they did Haddock and was it good!!!

Also for smelt the Around the Corner Pub in Mercer has it every Wednesday as a special!!!

bigpike, you truly found one of the best family style ones as well at the Lower Gresham Resort or as the locals call it, “Pope’s Gresham Lake Lodge”. The perch at Fibbers is also very good for our local area and most of the locals and summer visitors eat walleye all the time and its very good at several area restaurants!!!

Good thread!!!

Mark

big_g
    Isle, MN

I enjoyed all the lenten fish frys in central MN… not much for FF here special, just a everyday thing in Hawaii…. but in the south metro, I enjoy The Ol’ Piper Inn FF…. sure was nummy. toast

bigpike

Thanks ×2, loved reading this again, old and new. Going to the dells this weekend for my nephews 21 birthday. Wonder how the fish will be!

Lucas Smith

Quite a bit south of Minneapolis but we ate at The Depot in Faribault during a hockey tournament and really enjoyed their walleye.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks ×2, loved reading this again, old and new. Going to the dells this weekend for my nephews 21 birthday. Wonder how the fish will be!

Go to double cut steak house, very good food.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Billy and I have been hitting up various fish fries around the SE Metro, and they all have something different about them. The mac and cheese at Guaridan Angels in Oakdale is fantastic!! And they have this fun fish cut-out! )

Attachments:
    1. 20190329_163401.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

On special nights the FW and I have one of the best FF in the west metro. Just a few miles from the center of the city. woot

Most always walleyes and some filtered in crappies. It is served up as a choice of battered or dry breaded. Quite yummy and very reasonable in price!

Oh, and the onion rings are the Fab! toast

as long as you don’t add in the fishing and catching costs! doah

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Andy, I look at the 1st pic and would agree on a visual that it was appleaning.

Attachments:
    1. 1-2.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

The 2nd I would not have ordered using just a visual judgment.

Attachments:
    1. 2-2.jpg

Iowaboy1

last week or so I had the Culvers walleye sandwich,YUCK!!!!
    it maybe that I havent been around much but I have never seen a walleye that green with the skin on.
    it looked more like a young grass carp and the filet didnt peel apart like walleye flesh does nor is a walleye filet oily unless the fry oil was too cold.

Denny O,uh,be you having one of those fish fries in the near future with the homemade onion rings??
    between what that will cost me to attend and the advancement on my subscription to your forum site I wont be taking a dime home after installing those big screen tv’s on your boat !!!
    well,then again,maybe I am too country to hang around with your friends lol.

bigpike

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigpike wrote:</div>

Go to double cut steak house, very good food.

Didn’t see this til after, we ended up at edgeodells and for having 11 people eat dinner not one complaint is pretty darn good. Fish was good.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

last week or so I had the Culvers <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye sandwich,YUCK!!!!
    it maybe that I havent been around much but I have never seen a <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye that green with the skin on.
    it looked more like a young grass carp and the filet didnt peel apart like walleye flesh does nor is a walleye filet oily unless the fry oil was too cold.

That’s just the way they are in Iowa, and Walleye in Iowa don’t have scales either.

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.