Best electric auger

• traumatized
    eastern iowa

Looking to switch to an electric auger. Please tell me your experiences, good, bad, pros & cons. Thank you for the help.

gonehunting

You are going to get a million opinions. I will be the first. I have nothing but good things to say about my Ion X. Reliable, lightweight, long lasting battery, doesn’t throw ice all over the ice house etc. Reverse option is nice also. The center point on Ion X makes for easy re-drilling of old holes. I have not used others but would buy another Ion X in a heartbeat.

Michel Dubosq

I have the regular Ion and its awesome can’t complain either

Bigwalleye30
    MN

It comes down to if you need to reopen holes or not. If so IonX is the way to go but if you don’t need to reopen holes the Strikemaster drills quicker. Both seem to cut a ton of holes with 1 battery. The strikemaster is cheaper and you get 2 batteries this year. I never reopen holes so I went with the Strikemaster but have buddies that love their Ion’s. Both are solid options.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I can only comment on my Ion, I love it, it’s not the x model but has the reverse

mr-special
    MPLS

Kdrill and Milwauke M18 fuel. Last wkend I reopened holes in the house with 10+ of ice and drilled a doz more reverse works great,with one 5ah battery. Best setup I’ve ever used.
    Yes I’ve owned/used gas augers and Ions my buds has them now lol

ejdelvo28

The options you will see the most of are Ion/Ion X, cordless drill/hand auger bit, cordless drill/k drill, Strikemaster lithium, and maybe a couple ice gator fellas here and there. If you have a good cordless drill already, the drill/hand auger bit is by far your best option price wise. If you’re looking for a dedicated ice auger, Ion or SM lithium. If you want super light weight and have money to spend, go with the cordless drill/k drill.

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

I used to have an Ion and now have an Ion X, and I can’t say enough about these augers. They are light, easy to use, and drill fast enough for me at least. I just recently tried out the Eskimo P1 Propane, and I did a comparison between the two for speed. The Ion X cuts just a bit slower, but by the time you pick up the P1 and start it, you would be halfway through the hole with the Ion. I had each auger sitting on the ground, and I started the timer, picked up the auger, drilled two holes, and then stopped the timer, repeating with each auger. They were both right around 30 seconds, the Ion actually being a bit faster. This was only through about 10″ of ice, so if the ice were thicker I think the P1 would end up being faster, especially after a series of holes, but it really isn’t different enough to make a big difference I don’t think. I know I personally drill way more holes now because it is so easy to pick up the Ion and punch a few holes by just pressing a button. I don’t think I will ever switch back to a power auger because I just don’t see the need! Please let me know if you have any questions about the Ion/Ion X as I have used them quite a bit. I can’t speak for the Strikemaster or Cordless Drill setups, but I have heard good things about both.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

IonX is the way to go.

I’d get a Milwaukee Mud mixer and set it up with whatever drill makes you happy. The batteries can perform double duty and be used to power your sonar or light your shanty if need be. Lighter, faster and cheaper too.

Troy Hoernemann
    Nevis mn

I HAVE THE OLD ION WITH REVERSE. I love it will say get the one with the new cutting bottom reopening hols is nicer then the old bottom both auger bottoms will do it just my opinion. Company is vary good to work with if any thing goes wrong

Strike master didn’t care for as much seemed to me to reopen holes was a finagle job other then that works

If need one again ION yay

Greg R.
    New Berlin, WI

I got the Ion X in December and absolutely love it. Wasn’t sure I was going to like an electric auger but I did. Cuts smooth and can drill plenty holes on a single charge. The light feature is actually cool used it drilling in the hub last night.

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

Had the ion for 3 seasons ,love it. My gas auger is hanging up in the shed.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Thank you for all the help. I decided to go with the Strikemaster 40 volt. Although I think the ION is probably better, what I got is way more than I will need. I went to the store to get the ION and they had the Strikemaster on sale for $499. That’s $130 cheaper than the ION, plus it came with a free second battery. It also has the reverse. So after double checking the reviews I went with it. Thanks again for the help.

Hugo Despres

I got an ION. Awesome. Nothing to complain about. In very cold conditions I’m keeping the battery Inside of my jacket. My friend just go the 120 volt trophy strike. Still wondering what the battery life will look like on a long period of time but for now, I drilled a couple of holes with it and it has a lot of power and a lot of torque. Only drawback is the blades are exceeding a little bit out of the drill diameter. So if the it still running in cutting mode and you try to get the drill out of the hole, the exceeding part of the blades grabs the bottom the hole and pulls the drill down again and again. So you have to stop drilling before getting it out of the hole.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I got the ION X in Nov. 2016, one of the first ones and I had the issue with the ice build up on the auger. They replaced the bit with no issues and it worked great for the rest of the season and first part of this season.

a couple weeks ago, I had an intermittent issue with it turning on when I would hit the trigger. I called them, explained the issue and they sent a new trigger assembly that includes part of the handle (since it has a 2yr warranty). When I took it apart, I saw that it was just a loose connection on the switch. Figuring out how to get everything back together was tricky since there a few springs and parts that come loose when you take it apart, but I got it back together and it works great again

Overall, I have been very happy with it considering my old power auger was a Jiffy from the late 80’s that got more and more finicky every year, made you go deaf when using it and weighed a ton

JoeMX1825
    MN

just pull the trigger and drill, it’s as simple as it gets…I’ve owned an Ion now for 4 years, love it

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.