Best Crappie Setup (W/PROOF)

• B-man

Just wanted to share the best proven technique for catching black crappies.

I know a lot of you lesser fisherman struggle with such things and wanted to share my endless wealth of knowledge.

After years of experience and tens of thousands of methods applied, I’ve found that seeking out warm water in the spring of the year (April-May in the northern hemisphere) is helpful.

A mini-mite tied onto a Paw-Patrol closed face spin cast reel (model #6282) using a Palomar knot is best. It seems to pair nicely with stock 6lb China monofilament, along with a Thill model #5274A bobber. The #673-1C doesn’t provide the proper buoyancy needed for this species.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask my kids. They’ll be busy with pre-school for the next several hours, but will be happy to share their Masterly information later this afternoon after they eat a popsicle and take a poop.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190602_123352.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

worm or minnow?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Thank you so much for sharing B-man. Now I know why I have never caught a crappie. I have been using Thriller wobble bobbers. I hope your boys are not too loose lipped about this secret tactic. If everyone knew there would not be a crappie left in the state.
    Great picture.

ara

Now this setup i believe, makes, model #’s, and too many pop-sickles will sending you flying to the outhouse. Still need exact water temp please, in order to be successful.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Spots. I need coordinates. And like epg said. Crawler chunk or leech?
    I also see no burt Reynolds t.

B-man

I won’t post coordinates publicly, but will offer you a hand drawn contour map of a typical lake.

Look for the northern-most bay. The sun warms the water at the farthest tip earlier than at the base of the lake.

As the year progresses, look for crappies to suspend in colder-deeper water.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190807_113422.jpg

JEREMY
    BP

Times must have changed since we haven’t been able to get out this year but if I recall last year it was Minnie Mouse rod and reel with a SpongeBob bobber that did the trick. Oh and any little hook with a gulp alive waxie.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Times must have changed since we haven’t been able to get out this year but if I recall last year it was Minnie Mouse rod and reel with a SpongeBob bobber that did the trick. Oh and any little hook with a gulp alive waxie.

You obviously dont watch enough tutorials you wouldn’t understand. The boys and this man have tried thousands of techniques. Paw patrol or bust

JEREMY
    BP

I was just trying to help. It took my daughter all her life up to that point (2yrs) to master her skill and that was the one and only technique that worked. Just an FYI it can also catch sunnies. The other method may work but take my word as proof if you wanna catch every little crappie, sunnie, and weed in the lake this is your go to. P.S. Make sure if two kids in the boat have matching bobbers cause if ones spongebob and one is Patrick it don’t work.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I was just trying to help. It took my daughter all her life up to that point (2yrs) to master her skill and that was the one and only technique that worked. Just an FYI it can also catch sunnies. The other method may work but take my word as proof if you wanna catch every little crappie, sunnie, and weed in the lake this is your go to. P.S. Make sure if two kids in the boat have matching bobbers cause if ones spongebob and one is Patrick it don’t work.

Oh I know what you mean. The damn kids only want what the other has. Not what we have proof of working.
    Oh and no pic it didnt happen

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My kid always seemed to cast those style rods right in the water. Chisago lake must have 4 or 5 spongebob and mickey rods just from my kid.
    That’s why he never received his masterly achievement trophy jester

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Sorry b-man. Every master angler knows that you don’t smile in fish pictures.

Get back to us when your kids master something hard like salmon fishing.

Attachments:
    1. A242D042-2F4A-4502-B3CD-9606B07CC21C.jpeg

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

B-man, any chance u could link any videos or articles that explain this technique more? I’m starting research for this winter and wondering if this also pertains to winter months

B-man

Sorry b-man. Every master angler knows that you don’t smile in fish pictures.

Get back to us when your kids master something hard like salmon fishing.

Pshhhh…they had that figured out last year at three years old jester

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Pffft. 3 years and how many months?

Attachments:
    1. 20081B2E-1083-47A7-B44A-BD2BB45BF1A9.jpeg

Dan Baker

Just wanted to share the best proven technique for catching black crappies.

I know a lot of you lesser fisherman struggle with such things and wanted to share my endless wealth of knowledge.

After years of experience and tens of thousands of methods applied, I’ve found that seeking out warm water in the spring of the year (April-May in the northern hemisphere) is helpful.

A mini-mite tied onto a Paw-Patrol closed face spin cast reel (model #6282) using a Palomar knot is best. It seems to pair nicely with stock 6lb China monofilament, along with a Thill model #5274A bobber. The #673-1C doesn’t provide the proper buoyancy needed for this species.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask my kids. They’ll be busy with pre-school for the next several hours, but will be happy to share their Masterly information later this afternoon after they eat a popsicle and take a poop.

Brutal and Brilliant!

JEREMY
    BP

That lake map looks like something a little naughty. Guys should draw maps of two round lakes right next to each other with nice little islands in the middle. I don’t wanna be on the warm water discharge end of that thing.

catmando
    wis

Dang. now I have to put away the Dafy duck rod and get a Paw- Patrol rod for the grandson. jester

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Pffft. 3 years and how many months?

less than 1 year

Attachments:
    1. 2012-05-27-14.02.34-1.jpg

CaptainMusky

I won’t post coordinates publicly, but will offer you a hand drawn contour map of a typical lake.

Look for the northern-most bay. The sun warms the water at the farthest tip earlier than at the base of the lake.

As the year progresses, look for crappies to suspend in colder-deeper water.

What if the lake I fish has more than 2 cabins on it?

B-man

Oh the challenge is on toast

They spent the first night in a fish house when they were 8? weeks old peace

At 2 years and 6 months they were catching their own walleyes on leadcore (unassisted) mrgreen mrgreen

And some great lakes fishing at 2 years and 5 months lol

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Oh the challenge is on
    They spent the first night in a fish house when they were 8? weeks old

Nice Such a great video B-man.
    15 days old. And just think last fall a musky took that whole lure and the leader down. Safe release with no blood.

Attachments:
    1. 2011-12-04-12.00.12.jpg

B-man

Congrats on the new one Rodwork!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Safe release with no blood.

Are you still talking about the Muskie, or the birth?

Nice catch! Pretty soon you’ll have to sell that lure to buy butt wipes.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Always heard good things about that Paw Patrol brand….

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My daughter used to like paw patrol but their quality has gone downhill lately. Probably because they were acquired by Disney. Lack of competition is not good for the consumer.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.