Best Burger List

• 10klakes

Yeah a few times, but it was pre-reviews. Actually had Hopper’s in the hospital after both my boys were born. Iron Tap out there is really good too, and they also deliver via snowmobile to Lake Waconia toast . Good reminder tho, I’ll put those both on my list.

Had no idea they delivered to the lake. that might have to happen this winter.

JEREMY
    BP

I went to Hoppers when each of my girls were born my lunch and 2 beers were free each time with the hospital wrist band.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

BEST BURGER UPDATE! Back with an all-time classic burger joint that needs no introduction. The creator of the original Jucy Lucy, Matt’s Bar. I love Matt’s and am 100% on their side in the decades long battle with the imposter the 5-8. However, I’m not a huge Lucy fan, it’s tough to cook well and the cheese usually converts to molten lava that ends up on the table, if you’re lucky. That’s much better than catching a stray lava cheese shot to the face.

Matt’s is a right of passage for any Minnesotan imo, and is the classic dive bar burger joint you want near by. A basic menu, reasonable to good prices, epic proportions, a staff that will tell you where to go and a floor that sticks if you stand in one place too long. I went traditional Jucy Lucy with fried onions, a half order of fries and Iron Horse Rootbeer during a midweek lunch rush. I’ve had Matt’s many times, and this was easily the worst. Burger was borderline burnt on the exterior and real pink in the middle (common Lucy feature/problem) but somehow was lukewarm and all the cheese still ran out per usual. Fries were fine, massive quantity, regular cut and basic seasoning. I can only call em as they serve em, and Matt’s is still a beast and gets a Brock Lesnar 6.9. Out of respect.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

BEST BURGER UPDATE! Danny’s Grill at Stoneridge Golf Course was the next contestant for the crown. And coming in starving after a great round of golf and this description I had REAL high hopes. I got the: “DANNY’S 772 BURGER
    Our flagship 772 blend of 4 oz NY strip and grass fed short rib smash patties. Served with b&b pickles, American cheese, mustard aioli.” That had my burger needle moving, but was almost immediately disappointed. Over cooked, dry, basic bun and small portions on the fries. I’m no chef, but mixing Mayo and mustard doesn’t make an aioli imo. Go for the golf, leave for the food. Very forgettable like Reggie Rutland’s career 4.8.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

BEST BURGER UPDATE!!! Concluding the 3 burger update trifecta is another heavy hitter with a reputation that echoes throughout the MN River Valley, Buffalo Tap in Savage. This is another one I’ve been to a few times, pre-reviews, and it is always good and that goes well beyond burgers.

I went with The Double Tap, Buffalo Tap’s signature double cheeseburger stacked high with two patties, special sauce, shredded lettuce, American cheese, pickles, and crispy fried onions. This was what a Big Mac would be if McDonald’s had a soul and didn’t hate you, conversely Buffalo Tap loves you and wants you to be happy. And this left me very happy. It comes with kettle chips, so I upgraded to onion rings, which were just ok and few in volume, which is a slight deduction when you upcharge for it. However, you can get this (or any burger) with Bison or Elk meat, which is huge bonus points in my book and how I’ll be ordering there next time I’m back. And I will make a point to be back soon. This heavyweight got an all-time heavyweight score of Big Bryant McKinnie 7.4. Skol!

Karl Hungus
    Carver County, Minnesota

FYI…found out the House of Gloor at Neisens in Savage is no longer there. Last I checked they plan to find another location. Too bad cuz I really liked their stuff.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

FYI…found out the House of Gloor at Neisens in Savage is no longer there. Last I checked they plan to find another location. Too bad cuz I really liked their stuff.

They are doing pop ups here and there

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Saint Dinette is routinely ranked one of the top burger places, and I planned on going, but they are going out of business within the next year. And one of my rules is no food trucks, pop ups or other such thing that people can’t go get a burger from a specific location during business hours.

And on that note, still open to suggestions! Likelihood of getting there increases if it’s in the metro, northern MN or somewhere in between, but I’m open to anywhere.

CaptainMusky

I have had Bison burgers a few times and have never been impressed. Granted they were at like county fair type places but I just didnt like the taste.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

bison burgers are too lean..

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So I finally hit Gordy’s in Cloquet. Had high hopes going there with all the hype they have gotten. Had a bacon cheeseburger and onion rings, my buddy got a mushroom and swiss and deep fried mushrooms. The burgers were good not great, should have got a double to have better meat to bun ratio, but wasn’t that hungry. Bun is solid but overall the burger didn’t do much for me. The onion rings and fried shrooms were very good. I would try it again, I also had no idea how much real estate they took up, quite the set up they have there.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

No real suggestions, but definitely keep tabs on your updates.

I’m a Western WI/SE MN guy, so most of the places you list I haven’t been to. Kings is the only one I recognize and have been to.

If someone has more suggestions East or SE of the metro area, I’m all ears and look forward to Werm’s reviews

Reef W

The burgers were good not great,

You gotta go once I guess but it’s most overrated place in Minnesota in my opinion. People waiting in lines out the door are crazy.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

No real suggestions, but definitely keep tabs on your updates.

I’m a Western WI/SE MN guy, so most of the places you list I haven’t been to. Kings is the only one I recognize and have been to.

If someone has more suggestions East or SE of the metro area, I’m all ears and look forward to Werm’s reviews

Our definitions of SE MN are vastly different chased jester . Kings, Dan’s in New Trier, House of Coates and Kelly’s Lake City have all gotten a review. But I’m always open to more, problem is when I’m down that way it’s usually Harbor View or Hager Heights chicken on the menu.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Not a Burger expert….but may find it hard to beat a newer Burger joint in Duluth MN….Burger Paradox….2 great meals there….so far

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here’s the current full rankings:

Red Cow 9.3 John Randle
    DeGidios 8.8 Allen Page
    Blue Door 8.2 Andrew Glover
    Parlour 8.1 Anthony Carter
    Lions Tap 8.0 Cris Carter
    6Smith 7.8 Matt Birk
    Silver Bullet 7.7 Gary Larsen
    King’s Place 7.6 Steve Hutchinson
    Buffalo Tap 7.4 Bryant McKinnie
    Kelly’s Lake City 7.2 Frank Youso
    Nook 7.0 Jim Marshall
    Matt’s 6.9 Brock Lesnar
    Dan’s 6.5 Gary Zimmerman
    Vic’s 6.4 Randall McDaniel
    Wild Acres 5.8 Jim Langer
    House of Coates 5.8 Eddie McDaniel
    Chaska Legion 5.6 Chris Doleman
    Crooked Pint 5.5 Jack Del Rio/Scott Studwell
    Jordan Supper Club 5.3 Mick Tingelhoff
    Burger Press 5.2 Kailee Wong
    Wildfire 5.0 Jeff Siemon
    Danny’s @ Stoneridge 4.8 Reggie Rutland
    Arby’s Wagyu Deluxe 4.7 Joey Browner
    Matty G’s AZ 4.4 Leroy Hoard

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Going back thru the thread The Brick Inn North Branch and Short Stop in Coon Rapids are still on the to-do list.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

So I finally hit Gordy’s in Cloquet. Had high hopes going there with all the hype they have gotten. Had a bacon cheeseburger and onion rings, my buddy got a mushroom and swiss and deep fried mushrooms. The burgers were good not great, should have got a double to have better meat to bun ratio, but wasn’t that hungry. Bun is solid but overall the burger didn’t do much for me. The onion rings and fried shrooms were very good. I would try it again, I also had no idea how much real estate they took up, quite the set up they have there.

Next time avoid Gordy’s and just hit Sammy’s for Pizza. One of the best Sammy’s in the state and I believe ranked as one of the best pizza joints in the state.

We normally hit Sammy’s but the kids wanted Ice Cream so I caved and we went to Gordy’s, at least the shakes are pretty good.

I did find a Kershaw knife in the parking lot. So that was a plus.

CaptainMusky

I’m a Western WI/SE MN guy, so most of the places you list I haven’t been to.

A buddy from college owns a bar near Rochester called Jack’s. I have never been there but he posts photos all the time and the food looks fantastic.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    I’m a Western WI/SE MN guy, so most of the places you list I haven’t been to.

A buddy from college owns a bar near Rochester called Jack’s. I have never been there but he posts photos all the time and the food looks fantastic.

Noted – thanks we will check it out. We get to Rochester once every few weeks as it’s only 40 minutes from the river here and has options for food (or the wife’s shopping habits).

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>John Rasmussen wrote:</div>
    The burgers were good not great,

You gotta go once I guess but it’s most overrated place in Minnesota in my opinion. People waiting in lines out the door are crazy.

I agree with John, good but not great is the perfect way to sum it up.

But short of showing up there at some bizarre hour like eating at 2:30 in the afternoon or something I’m just not willing to wait in a massive line for this place. We’ve done the parking lot turn around at this place more times than we’ve eaten there because I’m just not willing to stand in that long of a line for burgers and fries.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I live here and only will stop in for lunch during the week when they run their daily specials, and that’s only a couple/three times a whole summer.
    I just shake my head when I pass by coming back home on a Sunday from up north and see the lines of cars/folks outside.

Gerty

I second the burgers at Buffalo Tap. Stopped there on Sunday and both burgers were amazing.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Are you sure that’s the name of it?
    I’m not too far from Rochester and get there often but have never seen or heard of Jack’s?

Google didn’t have anything on it either.

CaptainMusky

Pretty sure. Maybe it doesnt have a K in it or something. Its not in Rochester but some small down.

Jimmy Jones

Jac’s in Chatfield. Super good food there. The beer is really cold too. I belong to the gun club in Chatfield and usually stop for a cold one and burger at Jac’s and have never been disappointed. Jac’s has been written up in the local newspaper…. nice article but it’s been a while.

Cody Meyers

Have you been to Stu’s Rainbow Inn in Arlington? It was always amazing, it’s been there forever. It’s got a Lions Tap style burger, and you can get a cup of Split Pea soup and a Braunshwager sandwich…

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Have you been to Stu’s Rainbow Inn in Arlington? It was always amazing, it’s been there forever. It’s got a Lions Tap style burger, and you can get a cup of Split Pea soup and a Braunshwager sandwich…

No but that is at the top of the list now…Braunschweiger sandwich!?!?! It’s one of my favorites and I thought those could only be had at home!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We’ve done the parking lot turn around at this place more times than we’ve eaten there because I’m just not willing to stand in that long of a line for burgers and fries.

As far as the wait, it wasn’t to bad really. We ordered and had our food within 10 minutes I would say. Granted this was Tuesday but hit it at a few minutes before noon, so it was still really busy.

Viewing 30 posts - 271 through 300 (of 319 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.