Best batteries

• James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

It’s been awhile since I have purchased good deep cycle and or cranking marine batteries.
    So many new brands and so forth. So I am looking to hear from some of you about your choice and why? I mean I can read and do have understanding but then again I have bought things from what they claimed in the add and well you know how it goes. lol

Thank you for taking a moment or two of your time to help me learn about todays deep cycles and cranking batteries. Now a days I would rather ask questions and do it right the first time then be stubborn and learn the hard way. We eventuaally grow up. rofl….well most of us that is.

Have a very Blessed and joyful Thanksgiving
    James W

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I’ve had great luck using EverStart Maxx from WalMart for the deep cycle. Buy the largest size that will fit.

Ryan

I run interstate batteries in this boat and have not run out of power yet. I can troll cranks for walleyes 10 hours a day and havnt run out. I ran the walmart deep cycle maxx in last boat for 3 years before i sold it and never had problems either. I think having a good charger is the most important thing. As soon as you get off the water, charging the batteries is the second most important thing to do.

As far as buying Odyssey batteries, I have no experience with them. I look at it as I can buy 2 sets of interstate vs odyssey and still have money in my pocket. This is just my opinion and I think you are going to get a lot of different answers. Good luck with your new boat purchase. It is a fun time.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

X2 on interstate batteries.

Went with Wally World once and got less than half the life with only 10% savings. Not worth it.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

I’ve had great luck using EverStart Maxx from WalMart for the deep cycle. Buy the largest size that will fit.

Francis Hi,
    Thank you for the reply and I will keep that in mind for there is always a walmart some where close and YES to the biggest you can buy.
    Thanks again and have a great thanksgiving
    James W

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

I run interstate batteries in this boat and have not run out of power yet. I can troll cranks for walleyes 10 hours a day and havnt run out. I ran the walmart deep cycle maxx in last boat for 3 years before i sold it and never had problems either. I think having a good charger is the most important thing. As soon as you get off the water, charging the batteries is the second most important thing to do.

As far as buying Odyssey batteries, I have no experience with them. I look at it as I can buy 2 sets of interstate vs odyssey and still have money in my pocket. This is just my opinion and I think you are going to get a lot of different answers. Good luck with your new boat purchase. It is a fun time.

Ryan Hi,
    Thank you for the advice about the interstate batteries. I ran some of them in times past and they worked well. I agree about priorities when it comes to getting the boat back home after fishing. Nothing waits until the next day. Learned that the hard way. lol

Yea we are excited about getting the new boat. Looking forward to it very much. It will more then likely be after ice out before I can even do anything towards it but – that does not even matter for I know I am going to have one !!
    Have a great Thanksgiving
    James W

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

X2 on interstate batteries.

Went with Wally World once and got less than half the life with only 10% savings. Not worth it.

Biggil thanks for the tip on wally world batteries. rofl I have had some good ones and some bad ones from them.
    Have a great thanksgiving
    James W

kroger3
    blaine mn

Your going to get alot of opinions on batteries and there are alot of good batteries out there.

I run Odyssey batteries for a few reasons. PC1500s for my 36 volt system allows me to get away with a smaller battery (physical size) compared to wetcell batteries of similar power capacity. PC2250 for my other battery which runs alot accessories and electonics. Battery maintenence is pretty much nothing. Winter storage you just make sure there at full charge then disconnect the negative just encase of any power draw then your done. Can leave them out all winter with no worry. I run alot of rough and choppy water where i have had other batteries fail early due to vibration and pounding. They can be mounted on there side or upside down if you need to get them to fit in an odd space which i have seen done and they are working fine to this day. I also do some remote trips where day to day charging is not an option.

All in all there are alot of good batteries and i have also had good luck with interstates and even the walmart everstarts but for me there were alot of other factors outside of the norm that made me go odyssey and have not regretted it at all.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

@Krodger3,
    Thank you for taking the time to educate me on the Odyssey Batteries. I saw them a time or two but paid no attention to them – lol – watching one of Mike Keyes comercials for them – well it got me thinking. I beleive I saw some down in an engine room on a 47 ft trawler once as well.

To me price is not going to be a deal breaker – reliability and dependability is the key here for me and I like the sound of smaller in size as well.
    Thank you again
    James W

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.