Best aerator Minnow Bait Bucket / Box?

• usmarine0352

Thinking about getting an aeroted minnow bucket/box.

I know Frabil and Engel make one. I know Engels is improved for this year. Don’t know of any other brand.

What is the best aeroted minnow bucket/box out there?

Reef W

Engel is overpriced as hell but works well and has metal latches that aren’t going to break. The Frabil I looked at was plastic and doesn’t seem nearly as sturdy or that it would seal as well. Not sure what Frabil makes now but I wouldn’t get the one with the aerator integrated into the lid because it will be a pain, when it dies, having to get the same one to fit there. If the aerator just hangs on the side you can use whatever you want. The battery powered Engel aerators are poop so either get the new lithium one from them or some other replacement aerator.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Agree with Reef and the seal works great, buddy of mine was in a truck that got put on it’s side last weekend and the shinners survived just fine. They are expensive but what isn’t nowadays.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Plastic latches and cold has not mixed well for me in the past. I would only buy something with metal latches. I am not sure what all the options are right now. I just know I have replaced 3 minnow buckets because the plastic cover latch broke.

Alex Fox

I have the Frabill and it seals well, but the latches are cheap. Broke one of them when there was a little layer of ice on the seal, snapped the latch down and it broke immediately. The other latch still keeps it water tight. The aerator in that lasts forever on one battery, and it has a plug in adaptor for your truck or you can add one to plug into a wall with some amazon searching. Yes you have to take it “apart” to replace the batteries, but for me if it’s hanging off the side, something is going to break it off, or the hose is disconnecting. Pros and cons to both I guess.

Reef W

Yes you have to take it “apart” to replace the batteries, but for me if it’s hanging off the side, something is going to break it off, or the hose is disconnecting. Pros and cons to both I guess.

I meant if you need to replace the aerator completely. I remember people last year (or 2 years?) complaining that they couldn’t find one to buy anywhere. Maybe availability isn’t an issue anymore, I don’t know.

Alex Fox

Never thought of having to replace it…that could be a problem. Have to buy a whole bucket for just the aerator would suck.

Coletrain27

I like Engels. They are not cheap but they work good. I have the 7.5 qt and the 13 qt. The seal works great and doesn’t leak at all in the truck on rough ice roads or bouncing around in the sled

Reef W

Just got this one, haven’t tried it yet. Rechargeable.

I have that one and it works well and is very quiet but if it gets wet the touchscreen goes crazy and you can’t control it until it dries out. I got it this summer so I haven’t tried it in winter. In summer though I’d recommend keeping it under console or somehow shielded from splashes and rain.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have the Engel 7.5 Baitwell with the new Lithium Aerator and love it! That new lithium Aerator is so quiet and the battery can last for days with the automated on/off pump settings… NO more D cell batteries to buy and loud pump sound that drives you crazy!

CaptainMusky

I am going to replace the noisy engel pump with this one:

Far cheaper than the engel one and has excellent reviews.

Tlazer

I have an older Engel and like it. Not a fan of the mounting for the aerator though. Have seen the mr crappie aerated buckets from Mammoth. Looks nice but certainly not cheap. Liked how there was a basket mounted on the bucket for the aerator.

ekruger01

I have an older Engel and like it. Not a fan of the mounting for the aerator though. Have seen the mr crappie aerated buckets from Mammoth. Looks nice but certainly not cheap. Liked how there was a basket mounted on the bucket for the aerator.

I was just looking at these this morning. I Would most likely take the basket off the back and velcro the aerator to the lid like i did with my engel. Smaller footprint that way. Id bet I’m going to end up with one in the near future.

Tlazer

Never thought of Velcro the aerator to the lid on the Engel. How did you like it. Does the aerator stay in place and in in the way of the handle? Will have to look trying it.

ekruger01

Yes, Heavy duty velcro, and Im actually running the clam aerator. Not in the way of the handle at all. This is on the 7.5 qt. Just takes up one end of the lid

AK Guy

I’ve abused my Engel and it still works fine for me.

Riverrat

I’ve been through about 5 aerated buckets so far. The best one was a mini 1 gal drink cooler (like they use for sports drinks) from a rummage sale, and a battery aerator off the shelf velcro’d to the side. The aerator was the breaking point and after a few of those you’ll have enough parts to fix them a couple times. I say go to goodwill and rummage sales and find a cooler that works for your needs and get an aerator separate. This will also allow you to have an aquarium aerator in the garage that you can switch to when bringing bait back home.

Paul D
    Roseville

I have that one and it works well and is very quiet but if it gets wet the touchscreen goes crazy and you can’t control it until it dries out. I got it this summer so I haven’t tried it in winter. In summer though I’d recommend keeping it under console or somehow shielded from splashes and rain.
    [/quote]

Thank you for the heads up Reef, will keep that in mind.

FinickyFish

Frabil here. Busted a latch due to tiny ice build up and had to 3d print a new one. I like the idea Riverrat mentioned. If you could get a screw top drink cooler and an aftermarket aerator you’d probably be better off than anything with latches. I’m sure the Engels are fine, but I hear a lot of people having to replace the aerators.

Nodakk

I’ve got the frabil for a couple seasons and would not recommend it. Same as others mentioned. One latch broke and the aerator has died with no replacement available.

MX1825

My bil bought an Engle 19 qt. model 5 or 6 years ago and we used it every summer. So I bought one 2.5 years ago. I’ve replaced my aerator once already and it needs another. flame The bil’s is still running the original pump. Running the Clam rechargeable that I take on the ice right now and it is on the 3rd winter with no problems.
    The reason I liked the Engle pump is because it runs on batteries, 12v, or 110. It is loud. Not sure what to hang on the side of it now. Thinking getting 2 a battery/12v combo and a 110v plug in type for in the garage.

Open for suggestions.

Aboxy17

Fleet farm 5-gallon bucket with lid $5. A cheap battery-powered bubble box aerator cost like 7 bucks. Keeps the bait alive in the garage for weeks. I keep all my bait in here during the winter and use the small Strikemaster bait bucket when I go out and fill it with a couple of scoops from the 5-gallon bucket. I love the little strike master bucket works great for summer backwoods shore fishing and also worked great on BWCA trips.

Hookset
    Southern MN

Fleet farm 5-gallon bucket with lid $5. A cheap battery-powered bubble box aerator cost like 7 bucks. Keeps the bait alive in the garage for weeks. I keep all my bait in here during the winter and use the small Strikemaster bait bucket when I go out and fill it with a couple of scoops from the 5-gallon bucket. I love the little strike master bucket works great for summer backwoods shore fishing and also worked great on BWCA trips.

I have the Engel 7.5 and 13, no issues with the coolers. Bought the lithium pump and won’t look back at buying D batteries again….even when though they last a long time!!

Hookset
    Southern MN

Yes, Heavy duty velcro, and Im actually running the clam aerator. Not in the way of the handle at all. This is on the 7.5 qt. Just takes up one end of the lid

Great idea, consider it done on mine. The side mount really stinks, the rubber feet on the lithium will fall off from rubbing on the side of the cooler during install/removal! Thanks Ekrug

Ryan Lange
    Lewiston MN

I have an Engel this will be my third year with it. No issues at all with it I am a fan. A little overpriced maybe but if it last then hard to make that case. I got one of the little green aerators they use on in depth outdoors and that thing is quite and works super well. I have a power pox I plug it into when in a hard house but this year, I picked up a couple smaller power banks used for cell phones and such and attached it to the Engel. The unit does not use much juice so I think I should get some good usage out of one charge. I also have some of the regular D battery aerators in case this idea does not pan out.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I have an Engel and like it. Original pump died after like a year and replaced it with the clam. So far so good.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I have the 13 and 19 qt Engels. They spend the summer in the boat on big wave days and winters in the Otter Box of my ATV riding across rough ice. They’ve held up fine. I replaced the noisy aerator with a Clam lithium until that finally gave out after three years of hard use. Just bought the new Engel lithium aerator and used it for a week on LOTW. It worked perfectly and had great battery life. Very impressed.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I have the Frabill and like it. I actually like that the aerator is integrated and not dangling off the side like the Engels. Had a buddies Engel freeze up multiple times while ice fishing and couldn’t even open the lid to get minnows.

I don’t really like buying D batteries, however. Sounds like the new lithium would be the way to go.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

My Engel pump is wicked noisy in my opinion. If I want to hear nature I have to turn it off. I just got the free Norsk one with their promotion. It is significantly quieter but not sure how I’ll power it to be portable yet. To be honest I thought it was rechargeable.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.