Before I Put My Dog Down….

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My dogs body went before her mind. I still don’t forgive myself for doing it. It’s a helluva thing. Having dogs is not easy.

Dan
    Southeast MN

My dogs body went before her mind. I still don’t forgive myself for doing it. It’s a helluva thing. Having dogs is not easy.

That’s tough. I feel like I’m in the same position. She tore an ACL a few year ago and at her age I made a tough decision that surgery just might not be the best. Back legs are real weak which also means going to the bathroom doesn’t work real well. She’s gone #2 in the house, often several times a day, for probably at least 6 months now. Some people wouldn’t tolerate that, but for the longest time I’d been thinking “do I want her put down just for that?” But she keeps degrading. Can’t really stand up on her own unless she’s on carpet for traction. I think her hearing is pretty gone also, which kind of hurts because I wonder what she thinks if she can’t hear my voice anymore if she feels she’s not loved anymore.

You’re right, it’s not easy. Too many good times make it very worth it. But those dogs are your IMMEDIATE FAMILY, I see them more than almost any other human. We love ’em, and this part is tough.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Do it Dan, I doubt your friend is happy. Just my opinion, I know how hard it is.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I used MNPets. Highly recommend at home euthanasia. They came out the day before Memorial Day.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Dan I feel so bad for you. I had to put my lab down this year. It was two weeks after my mom’s passing. So I chose to have my wife take him in for the appointment as I didn’t feel I could do it with the timing. So yeah I pussed out and hate myself for it. Tearing up as I write this. You will do the right thing I’m sure. We are all here for you.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

She’s gone #2 in the house, often several times a day, for probably at least 6 months now. Some people wouldn’t tolerate that, but for the longest time I’d been thinking “do I want her put down just for that?” But she keeps degrading. Can’t really stand up on her own unless she’s on carpet for traction. I think her hearing is pretty gone also, which kind of hurts because I wonder what she thinks if she can’t hear my voice anymore if she feels she’s not loved anymore.

Dan this is exactly to a T what happened to our boxer Ruby, and we waited it out until she turned for the worse VERY quickly at the end. We brought her in for some meds that eased her pain and she died later that same day. Thankfully it was very peaceful at home. Do what you feel is best, but make sure you have a plan in place and get what you want to get done before it’s too late, we lucked out that it was a peaceful passing for Ruby.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Have her put down at home, laying on her own bed. Surrounded by her family. Much better experience for both you and the dog. IMO nothing worse than doing at the vet on a cold steel table, other animal smells and sounds.

I have the number of a place that does this. Real nice process. Worth the extra money. They did a plaster footprint at the time. Thought is was nothing. But now appreciate the extra gift.

X2 ^^^
    Jon and I might have used the same people. When I put Star down, they also gave me a plaster footprint. Like Jon, did not think about it but I am glad that I have it now.
    My wife and kids got me a small plaque the following Christmas, had to fight back the tears after opening it.

Sorry for what your about to go through,
    Ron

Attachments:
    1. 20210916_174839.jpg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

This is going to be tough but here i go.
    I’m not telling you what to do Dan but i could’nt-would’nt make the call on my best pup ever.I could see by the x-rays we were winning but the meds were taking it’s toll.
    I was ready to make the call several times but could’nt i guess.
    I still feel bad about it because she deserved better.
    I know as well as everybody on here knows it’s a tough decision.
    I wish you and your pup well and remember you and her are not alone.
    Take care sir and love her the best you can.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Well today was the day.

I’m going to try and add some pictures to this. Randy had asked earlier in this thread for a picture, sorry so late but here she is. I named her Gopher because I adopted her in the middle of football season. She was almost 14 1/2 years old. Got her within weeks of getting back from Iraq and haven’t been without her since.

Very, very tough to go through. I made her a cheeseburger last night and today. Did the euthanasia at home and so glad I did. Laid with her to make sure I was the last thing she ever saw, and even with her hearing pretty bad I’m hoping the last thing she heard was my wife and I telling her over and over what a good girl she was.

Putting a dog down is such a mind f&*%. Maybe some day it will seem different for me, but deciding when your best friend will die is unreal. I bet at least once a day over the past week she’d look happy or even prance a little and I’d think “no, I’ve gotta stop this, she’s got some good left in her” so my hope is that it was about the right time. Between IDO members on this thread as well as family who saw her in person, pretty much everyone agreed it was time, but it’s still tough to be the one to decide.

Big thanks to everyone who chimed in. Whether it’s at work or home, I appreciate you taking the time to offer advice or condolences.

Cheers to all you good folks and the animals you love, and RIP to the ones we’ve lost. toast

Attachments:
    1. cheeseburger.jpg

2. wyatt-and-gopher.jpg

3. jack-and-gopher.jpg

4. gopher-last-night.jpg

Dan
    Southeast MN

Her final resting place at home.

Attachments:
    1. flag.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Rest in peace, Gopher. Dan, it takes some time, but the heartache will pass and the good memories remain.

-J.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Man posts like this are tough. Very sorry to see your best friend go.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

My heart goes out to you bud. I’ve never been through it, but I believe you gave her a very honorable send off.

Ripjiggen

Sorry for your loss Dan. I just went through this a couple weeks ago. It’s still tough but getting a little easier everyday.
    RIP Gopher

fishingdm

I’m very sorry for your loss Dan. You gave her the best life a dog could get. I had the exact feelings when having to put my dog down too. She may be gone but will always live on in your heart.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Sorry for your loss Dan! I feel your pain. I just went though this Sept. 13, it still hurts!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Dan- brought a lump in my throat reading. And memories of putting my dog, Star, down a few years ago. It will be painful for awhile, but does get better as the good memories take over.

Coletrain27

Sorry for your loss. It’s very tough to go through that

Jensen

Sorry for your loss Dan. RIP Gopher.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Sorry for your loss Dan.It’s tough but she is always with you in spirit and all the great memories.RIP GOPHER.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Again I’m sorry bud. That’s a sad day. I have a shepherd as well. Gopher was a pretty girl. Rip with all the other pups up there.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I gotta a couple buddies that I still hang out with. After a while you only remember the good times you had and laugh at the dumb stuff they did.
    The Great Dane would catch bunnies and when I would try and take them out of her mouth, she would swallow them whole.

Attachments:
    1. Buddies.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Dan sorry your going though this right now. Getting her right after coming back from what you saw in Iraq, I imagine she helped you through some tough times. RIP Gopher. If you need someone to talk to we are here for you. Like other said it gets better with time, but let yourself grieve.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i feel for you Dan….been threw it a few times myself…….sure does sting……but like everyone says, it goes away and then all those memories…..

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

So sorry for your loss Dan. It is tough. Been through it myself. Every once in awhile I still tear up over my past family dogs. Try and remember all the great times with Gopher.
    RIP Gopher.

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.