Bear on trail-cam

• sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Inexperienced bear guy here… got this guy on my DEER trail-cam. Wasn’t expecting this! He has HUGE areas of grass matted down nearby… and apparently he enjoys apples.

How big do you guys think he is?

enjoy the pics!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Very cool!! I know nothing about bears, but he appears to be a dandy to me.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

I also forgot to mention that it took 20 pics over about 9 hours. It was around from 7:30 pm to 3 am. I guess he was going to stick around until he got every apple into his gut…

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Very cool!

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Hopefully they dont cause the same problems they do for me. I have land where their are not “typically” bear in Wi. The last two years we have been seeing them. No matter how careful I am about scent control…they seem to mess with the cameras..I think their are 4 different ones that run around our hunting ground and they deffently are not very shy..I also hear they do a number on the fawns so hopefuuly your guy is just passing thru…Jay

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Well hunted in the stand for the first time tonight. He came in about 5:30 spooking away a doe and hung around for about 30 minutes. He then followed my scent trail back towards my truck… so I had a nerve-racking walk back! Wish he’d go away…

bradg

Nice, I bet that walk sucked for you! They are such a curious creature, and I bet it was a neat experience to be able to watch him move around.

I have at least one bear that roams around my hunting land from time to time, and I learned the hard way that no matter how careful you are about scent control, they like to rip cams out of trees One of mine was only about a week old….but did have camera set to video which is pretty neat vid. I now have bear boxes protecting cameras!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

I heard someone say its from the petrolium in the plastics, anyone else here this? The nmost nerve rcking walk I have ever done is a walk out from a bear bait in the dark

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

qdm4life: that was probably mine, too!
    Speaking of trail-cameras, it ripped mine down the first time it was out. Brand new Moultrie i40 and it cracked the LCD screen and ripped off the strap clips in back. Then I bought a Camlock box and it left it alone… Still trying to get a hold of Moultrie to get that screen replaced.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Still trying to get a hold of Moultrie to get that screen replaced.

You maybe waiting a while And my geuss is they will be chargeing you some as I beleve your damage will fall under their misuse and abuse policy Good luck and shoot straight!!

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Quote:

You maybe waiting a while And my geuss is they will be chargeing you some as I beleve your damage will fall under their misuse and abuse policy Good luck and shoot straight!!

That’s a bunch of crap on Moultrie’s part. Bear could be anywhere deer are… so maybe they should include a bear-box with every camera! or make them out of metal…

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Yep I ahve had 4 cams ripped down by bear. I learned the hard way also and got a bear box for my Moultries and Bushnell!

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Went and swapped cards quick tonight and showed a buddy where I hunt just-in-case… The first pic is me leaving last night.

Check out the times on these pics. Can someone say freaky?! Oh… and thank you CamLock because the camera was unmoved.

bradg

Wow!…they are pretty keen creatures….with deer, human scent scares them off. With bear, it seems that is attracts them (after they think you are gone) Since I invested in bear boxes, I haven’t had another pic? but I know that the minute I take the boxes down, they would rip it apart again.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

sipple31:

IMHO, he is 300-400…

Mark

whittsend

Quote:

sipple31:

IMHO, he is 300-400…

Mark

I was going to say more like 150…

whittsend

Regarding time stamps….. Check out these two pics.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

That’s a nice bear too… Aren’t ya glad that wasn’t mama…

Mark

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Whoa! Did you see or hear him on your way in or just discover it on the trail-cam?

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

sipple:

I bet he only saw it on the cam!!!

What part of Menomonie are you hunting, I spent several Stout years there in both the Jakes/Tainter area as well as the TJ’s/Creamery Downsville area…

Mark

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

I’m out east of town near where J intersects C.

whittsend

Never knew he was there until I looked at the camera’s photos.

postmaster

bigest one I have on camera, only came to bait one time in 07. Would love to have gotten an arrow in him.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.