First baits of the year!

• corncob

I set up my first two bear baits today in the scorching heat. It is my first time baiting for bears and I have spent some time doing research and hopefully it pays off for me. I’m hunting zone C in Jackson Co. Im going to check the baits on Tuesday hoping that the logs are tossed around. I am hoping that I’ll be able to buy a couple cameras in a few weeks to monitor the baits. Im a little scared of leaving cameras on public land. Does anyone have any experience on the public lands in Jackson Co(bear hunting pressure, theft, sabotage, etc.) Thanks for the help guys.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

stosh:

I have friends who have land south of BRF abutting public land that have lost camera(s)…

They have also shot bears and nice ones!!!

Good luck!!!

Mark

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Nothing is safe on the east side of Jackson Co. That being said, there isn’t much for traffic in the woods out there this time of year. There is getting to be more and more bear hunters out there. Good luck. Show us your pics!

corncob

Thanks guys. Im looking for a couple of the old 35 mm cameras that I wont be out much if I loss. If anyone has some that they want to sell let me know. Thanks

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

See PM – Private Message (Blinking Envelope on upper right side of screen!)

corncob

javascript:void(0)I checked both of my baits today and nothing touched them. Ill head back up this weekend and freshen them up with fresh stuff for one more week and if nothing comes in Ill be searching for a new spot.

Do you guys remove the old bait if it hasn’t been hit and replace it with new bait everytime, or do you leave it for a certain amount of time. All I did today was spray more liquid scent on the trees. Thanks for the help guys.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

stosh:

Spray the trees and leave a scent trail to and from the bait or even further if you think necessary. Wouldn’t worry about the bait so much and in fact wouldn’t add any just yet either… Keep scenting the area until something gets started. They are there, just haven’t found your address yet.

Mark

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.