Manitoba Bear Story

• big_g
    Isle, MN

Well, I got back at 2:45 this morning…. The outfitter that we used on a Spring Bear Hunt, this past June, was emailing us pictures of Bears he had, for the last month. Our tags were still valid and he wanted us to come back up. Fresh off 10 days in Montana Elk Hunting…. the scheming began After securing the time off at work and from the wife, we headed up on our 17 hour drive after work last wednesday night. We arrived at the Wolverine Lodge, near Lynn Lake MB, at 2:00 PM the following afternoon. We were tired, but the outfitter told us to grab our rifles to make sure they were still sighted in, and then him and our Guide Craig, would run us to our stands. After an 11 mile ride by a 16′ Aluminum boat, in 3 foot chop , by 3:00 PM, I was in a ladder stand, sitting over a bait, about 30 yards off the water, that was hit sometime during the day, as it was “freshened” that morning at 9:00 AM. The first pic is my view from the stand of the bait and the second is through the woods to the lake. I did not see any Bears this night. When we got back to the lodge, we had a late supper with a few and I don’t think my head hit the pillow and I was The following morning, friday by now, we headed back to the stands. Good news, mine was hit AGAIN I sat from 6:30AM until the guide picked me up at 11:00AM. I should mention, in the spring (June) the sun is up around 3:00AM and sets about 11:00 PM. This time of year, it comes up about 7:00AM and sets about 7:30PM. Your daylight window is much shorter in the fall. Anyways, I seen no Bear again… We headed back to the Lodge for a little dinner and a quick nap. At 2:30, we got the wake-up call to head down the lake again… the ride would take about 35 minutes, depending on the chop. This ride was much better than the day before as the wind had died down quite a bit. I was back in my stand by 3:30PM… it wasn’t hit between 11:00 and 3:30 My guide Craig said, your gonna shoot your Bear tonight…. I asked him why he says that…. he said, this bait typically gets hit every 8 hours on average… it’s due. I settled in and watched the squirrels and the Canada Jays, come and carry off bait… at break neck speed. Around 5:30… I noticed the squirrel quit coming…. and the Jays would always land in the tree, before going down to the bait ??? I figured something was different….. I started glassing around me, as well as I could and to the southwest, up the hill, I seen a Black Blob, coming down the hill slowly. I picked up my rifle and guesstimated, where the Bear would make its entrance…. I was pretty close He came down about 20 yards behind my bait, in the clearing. I had a perfect lane for a 50 yard shot… a chipshot for the 30-06 I waited as I figured he would come to the bait… the wind was good, out of the West, blowing it out over the lake. He milled around in the clearing, behind my bait, where I didn’t have a shot, because of the trees and brush. Then the bear started walking towards the way he came from.. it was then I decided, when he hit the shooting lane, I would take him. He walked broadside into the clearing and I squeezed off…. right behind the shoulder, center of the body. The bear bolted, straight up the hill and made a hard left. He disappeared in about 5 seconds I immediately got down from my stand and hung the pail in the tree on shore…. this is the signal for the Guide, that a bear was shot. Before I had the pail in the tree, I could hear the hum of the Mercury, coming to my site When Craig got there, I was back in my stand. He asked me what happened. I took him to where I shot the bear and immediately, he found the spray of blood He said, Looks like a good hit He then started looking for more blood…. we didn’t find any I said “what the ???” and he said, sometimes a bear will not externally bleed at all or very little. I told him the last spot I seen the bear and we went over there….. He found (don’t ask me how) one tiny spot of blood on a piece of wood. He then turned to go up the hill…. we looked for maybe 15 minutes, just moving slowly and stooping down to see the ground around us. We spread out a little….let me stress the word little, I didn’t let him out of my sight He called me over to another spot of blood that he found (don’t ask me how again) & asked what time it was…it was 20 minutes to 7:00. He said, lets look for another 5 minutes, if we don’t find anything, I have marked the blood spots and we will come back in the morning… I was at an all time low at this point…. I thought I put a good shot on this bear We no sooner came up with that plan when Craig said…”THERE HE IS AND HES STILL ALIVE !!!” the bear was laying less than 20 yards from us, over in the area where I was looking… He told me to put another one in him, but not in the head. I picked out a spot and squeezed the trigger….. at that moment is when mayhem took place…. the bear got up and began charging right for me… Craig yells..”PUT ANOTHER ONE IN HIM !!!” Don’t ask me how, but somehow my bolt flew open, closed.. I aimed and shot The bear landed 10 feet from my feet Soon there was 20 yards between us again About 10 seconds later.. we heard the moan…. he was done. I can’t even describe the adrenaline that was going through me We high fived about 10 times…. Craig said, I sure am glad you know how to shoot that thing…. After a few minutes to calm down, we decided to go get the cradle from the boat to carry the bear down to the lake. It was at that time, I realized, my bear had gotten a little ground shrinkage… I figured it for around 400 lbs on the hoof Craig said it was around 200-250…. I said “I thought I shot a bigger bear” and he said, don’t be talking about how small it is , until were done carrying it to the boat We had to carry it about 120 yards, through a nice tightly packed pine forest Suddenly, my bear grew again We finally got him in the boat and then it was We headed in and made it back just before dark. The bear ended up going 220 lbs & was a boar. Right now I am wrestling with how I want to preserve the memories… a full body mount(the guide and outfitter said it has one of the nicest coats they have seen on a bear) or a rug or a head mount. I am leaning towards a head and shoulder mount as my trophy room is getting a little cramped (good problem by the way) The last picture is myself with my Guide Craig and my Bear. My partner did not have the kind of luck I did, as he didn’t see any bears. His baits would get hit, but we suspect, they were night owls…. I will say, the 17 hour ride home last night, was alot better, than the ride was when your going home empty I drove the whole way… so when I got home again, it was the same thing… I don’t know the next opportunity I will have to have a year like this again… a nice 9pt Montana Whitetail one week and a nice Manitoba Bear 2 weeks later 2009 is shaping up to be pretty good for me Who knows what will happen next Good luck to everyone in their pursuits this season

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats BIG G!

A well deserved and earned Manitoba Bruin!

Great read and thanks for sharing your adventure with everyone here!

Good luck in your remaining 2009 Pursuits!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

What a hunt, and what a story! I think it deserves a full body mount because it charged you, maybe put some jeans and a flannel hanging from its mouth.

Joel

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

The bear landed 10 feet from my feet.. Soon there was 20 yards between us again

Awesome story!

SteveHuettl
    South Metro

Congrats Big G on a very nice bear!

Great story to go along with your harvest and thanks for sharing it with us at IDO!!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

Awesome hunt Big G!

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Wow, great story, congrats!

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Nice Job G , Great hunt, great bear and great story Congrats man

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Congrats Big G …Great story…Jay

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Quote:

What a hunt, and what a story! I think it deserves a full body mount because it charged you, maybe put some jeans and a flannel hanging from its mouth.

Joel

DIDDO!!!

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

Congrats!

That was totally awesome, but I think you planed it that way on purpose with the charging shot for a finish just so you could have top honors in an Ultimate Hunt Story

That really was cool and I agree a little red flannel in the open mouth would look cool on a full mount, and make sure you get a bronze desk mantle of a hunter standing and aiming face to face with a charging bear

Again Congrats

Jeff

lick

congrats Glen great bear and even better story

tell me you pooped yourself just a little

whittsend

Nice work, and congrats!!

Where is the “holy crap, I just $#it my pants graemlin” ????

prieser
    Byron, MN

Way to go G

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

congrat Glen great bear and even better story

Pat… there wasn’t time or I might have….

lick

Quote:

Quote:

congrat Glen great bear and even better story

Pat… there wasn’t time or I might have….

i do like the full mount with flannel idea thou

wish i could have made the trip i probably wouldnt have seen any bears either thou

all i know is i may not be able to outrun the bear but i only need to outrun you

deertracker

Great story. I could picture the whole thing happening. Did you have to change your pants after all of that? Congrats!
    DT

lick

had to read it again great story Glen I felt like I was right there with you well… quite a ways behind you anyway

witte
    West Salem, WI

Great story! Congrats on the trophy. Keep puttin’ em down G.

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Congrats Glen

kenfred
    Akra Twp, ND

What’s up with those Manitoba bears this year? Had to put an arrow into mine at 8 feet. Another of our guys had to put a second round into his as it charged the stand after the first shot.

Always an adventure going North, eh?

Great read-Congrats.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Awesome Read, nice looking bear Best of luck the rest of the season

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congratulaitions Big G! I was laughing hysterically because of your story and because it happened to you. For those of you who don’t know Big G, he’s got to be one of the nicest and most laid back guys that you will ever meet. If your hair was on fire, he would calmly tell you that you need to put that out soon. So… needless to say, it really didn’t surprise me that he was able to keep calm and drop that charging bear in his tracks! It’s funny now, but it really could have turned into a serious situation and most of us (including me) probably wouldn’t have been able to execute like he did.

What a great story and a hunt that will be remembered and told for generations to come.

coppertop
    Central MN

G, Next time leave the Snickers back at camp and not in your pocket. Quite the hunt, one to remember for a long time for sure. Congrats on your succesfull hunts!!

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

The bear landed 10 feet from my feet.. Soon there was 20 yards between us again

Awesome story!

X2

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Congrat’s G, let me guess you winged him on the first shot just to get a good story out of it
    Just kidding Great job and Great reading.

joeman
    Paynesville,MN

G deer hunting this fall in MN is going to be boring to you compared to the fall you have had so far this year…you’ll be running laps around me and josh on the hick into the woods up at 59 from all the hicking you have already did this year. but congrats on the bear bear hunt is my dream hunt!! cant wait till that day comes.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Great story, funny as a heck. Congrats also.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Great job G!!! Get the full body mount, just tear out the wall in the trophy room!

So when did you change your shorts? Before or after you got back to camp?

Jami

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.