Batteries… AGM?

• walinutz
    Cologne, MN

I’m sure this has been hashed out a million times but I didn’t see a recent post on it.

Swapping out TM batteries. 24V system. currently running Interstates and I’m getting about 3 year out of them. Ulterra on a 618T Ranger.

I am thinking about going to an AGM battery. Pros or Cons? What’s the best AGM? Running 27 series.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I run Cabelas brand AGM size 27’s for my Terrova. Had them in there for 2yrs now and they last noticeably longer that the last set of batteries (lead acid deep cycle)

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I run Cabelas brand AGM size 27’s for my Terrova. Had them in there for 2yrs now and they last noticeably longer that the last set of batteries (lead acid deep cycle)

Same. I probably don’t run as hard as a lot but I get about 9-10 yrs out of them. FYI…mine were pre BPS buying out Cabelas so I don’t know if they went with someone else.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

AGM is the only battery I will buy: car, boat, motorcycle, ATV or snowmobile. Last longer, low self discharge and can handle a deep discharge better than anything else.

Deleted

I’m about to get new batteries for the boat (before this spring’s first launch). Never heard of AGM. Is this just for trolling motor or starting batt also?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’m about to get new batteries for the boat (before this spring’s first launch). Never heard of AGM. Is this just for trolling motor or starting batt also?

Can be for everything. My Hyundai was running an AGM battery.

Cabelas’ AGM have been great for me pre-BP merger. Since the merger I’ve noticed a lack of available sizes. Worse there really isn’t the $50 off that Cabelas used to run several times a year. What to do next now that my favorite option is either not available or more money crazy

?????

There are only a few actual manufactures of batteries in the US for sure and many rebrand them. I believe the Cabela’s batteries were made by NorthStar. I an pretty sure that Cabela’s last extreme battery was made by NorthStar. Good batteries made in the us and available easily. Google NorthStar Battery and see for yourself.

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

Looks like cabelas only has the size 24 left or smaller.
    They do offer the BPS brand. They rate them differently. By Amp Hours. 55 75 95 110.

Which one

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Following as I am getting a new boat this year. I have had both on previous boats and had real good luck with both. Honestly dont know if the extra cost of agm is worth it?

Matt

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Taken form Mr. Google

AGM = Absorbent Glass Mat

Since there is no free liquid and minimal gassing, AGM batteries can perform better than flooded batteries in applications where maintenance is difficult to perform. Cons: Users should take care when charging this battery as over and under charging can affect their life and performance.

The leading advantages of AGM are a charge that is up to five times faster than the flooded version, and the ability to deep cycle. AGM offers a depth-of-discharge of 80 percent; the flooded, on the other hand, is specified at 50 percent DoD to attain the same cycle life.

What are the advantages of the AGM battery? AGM batteries have a very low internal resistance, are capable to deliver high currents on demand and offer relative long service life, even when deep-cycled. AGM is maintenance free, provides good electrical reliability and is lighter than the flooded lead-acid type.

https://www.google.com/search?q=AGM+battery.+Pros+or+Cons&oq=AGM+battery.+Pros+or+Cons&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have 4 Interstate 31M-AGM’s I’m going to replace my 3 bank charger that is 18 years old with a Minnkota Precision 330 come spring. I already have a single bank Minnkota for the starter. But while I was reading the specs on the MK web site I don’t believe they like the digital charger coupled to the AGM’s. I need to dig into this a little deeper.

I run a 36v Ulterra. I can run a day and a half from a single charge in a reservoir pulling spinners and cranks. Thats 12 hours or more in a 20 ft tin boat with this lard arse in the bow amd my buddy in the rear setting next to a V-8 motor hooked up to an I/O drive.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m just now replacing my Optima Blue Tops trolling motor batteries after almost 6 years. One of the two is weak – I might have a faulty charging bank on an old charger to blame for its “short” life. The one I use for starting and electronics seems to still be going strong and I could probably live with the second tm battery for a while if I wanted. They are great batteries!

I choose the blue tops in part due to the slightly lighter weight relative to others. If weight isn’t an issue for you, the Odyssey Extremes have a great reputation. Good batteries aren’t cheap. I’m hoping that 5-7 years from now I’ll replace my Optimas with lithium deep cycles. Those are a getting close to becoming a viable option.

mustangsally

AGM is the best for boating. They handle vibration and shock which match boating conditions. The marine versions of a standard deep cycle battery are designed to handle plenty of shock too but AGM’s are better. Verify your on board charger is compatible with AGM’s because they charge differently. If you stick with lead acid check the battery acid levels (fill with water)twice a year and trickle them a few times during the off season…you will cook them if you charge and the electrolyte level is low. 5 years on my original lead acids and still get 8+ hours of run time.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Had AGM’s in the old Lund and I miss them. The new boat has 4 lead acid interstate batteries. They work great but filling them with water is a royal pain.

Go with AGM’s if for nothing else the convenience.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

AGM!

I’ve got a 36v Ulterra on a 20+’ Lund and through long days of muskie casting (on and off at higher power constantly) as well as full days pulling walleye spinners (constant running at medium power), they have never let me down. Just make sure that your charger is able to handle AGM batteries. A standard lead-acid charging cycle will work, but one that’s able to adjust to run for AGMs is better.

Farm & Fleet Duration have been outstanding for me.
    https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g–4412-duration-agm-blue-marine-battery.html

It’s a relabeled East Penn Intimidator battery – I think Farm & Fleet uses the same East Penn battery as their “Road Runner” AGM.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

I also have the Duration AGMs, Size 27 for starter battery, and I think 30 or 31 for 24 volt system.
    Before you pull the trigger, compare the specs and the price of the Duration vs. the Cabelas AGMs. Got mine last year at Farm and Fleet, but Sams carried them as well, and Farm and Fleet matched the Sams price.

lazermule
    North Metro of TC

I run 2 Group 31 AGM’s on my Ulterra and have yet to run them dead in a single day using the Ulterra quite a lot moving about and being “anchored up”. I also have a standard lead-acid deep cycle battery for starting and running my electronics. That battery is 3 years old and I may replace it with an AGM this year as well. My AGM’s are “Duracell” brand and I bought them at Batteries Plus for about $200 each last year. I think the total with tax and core and enviro charge was $440 out the door.

Certainly more money for AGM’s, but far better performance, certainly more durable and much better longevity and replacement. I’ve used AGM’s elsewhere and have always been pleased with their value. I have one in an ATV that is going on 10 years and still performing fine. It seems like they can go dead and stay dead and cold/froze and not sustain the damage a lead-acid battery will in those conditions…at least that is my observation.

I did buy the Minnkota “alternator” that will allow me to charge/isolate my 2 trolling batteries off of the charging system on my outboard, but as I said I have yet to have a day on the water where I have needed it. I will probably still install it for good measure but it’s not a priority. As a side note, why the HECK doesn’t Minnkota build the features of the “alternator” unit into their high end chargers? I know that it is a whole nother discussion, but worth asking. Sure, then they couldn’t sell you the alternator unit, but I’d pay more for a charger with that feature built in for sure.

igotone

Cabelas AGMs

Cabelas AGMs are no longer since The Pro took over….
    that’s SAD……..
    I have had two sets is all, since 2005 …..
    they were great……….

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

Will my 2004 Ranger 3 bank charger be adequate for AGM batteries

Denny O
    Central IOWA

We have no idea what the specs are on your “2004 Ranger 3 Bank charger”.
    For all we might know, it could be 208/210v, 3 phase and we don’t know the amperage capacity.

DO you have a clue how to search it out on the web?

lazermule
    North Metro of TC

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>walinutz wrote:</div>

For all we might know, it could be 208/210v, 3 phase and we don’t know the amperage capacity.

Wow! Nice reply… I guess there may be someone who may know what the specs may be on a 3 bank charger that came on a 2004 Ranger, Or maybe a “Is there a model number or Spec’s listed on the charger anywhere that we can break down?”, might have been a better reply…Obviously you don’t know and felt the need to belittle someone at their expense. This is supposed to be a place to help folks and share knowledge, not beat your chest and let everyone else know how smart you think are.

Now “Walinutz”, do you have the model number or spec’s of that 3 bank charger handy so we can try to figure out what breed of batteries it’ll work with?

Good day )

LM

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

Ok then.

BTW… Rangers come standard with onboarding chargers…. not an add on or after market

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

Boat is in storage but I believe it’s a Ranger dual Pro charger. Not sure model number.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Assume it’s a DualPro Sportsman series?

Manufactured: pre-2008:
    https://www.dualpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/6-Sportsman-Series_Manufactured-before-7-1-08_.pdf

Use charger for charging a LEAD-ACID (lead acid, sealed lead acid, gel cell, and AGM) battery only.

Manufactured 2009+:
    https://www.dualpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/New-Professional-and-Sportsman-Series-Manufacture-Date-After-3-9-09.pdf

“Use charger for charging a LEAD-ACID (lead acid, sealed lead acid, gel cell, and AGM) battery only.”

Netguy
    Minnetonka

On my current boat the last 2 sets of deep cycle batteries for the trolling motor were Cabela’s AGMs. About 8 years for each set. These were size 24 because of mounting restrictions. On the new boat that is coming soon the trolling motor batteries and the starting battery will be Northern AGMs. 31s for the trolling motor and I think 31 for stating also. I will only buy AGMs now for marine. I talked to a Chevy mechanic who specializes in their electric cars and he said almost everything will be AGM in 2-3 years. I just replaced the battery in my 2015 Silverado and put in an Interstate AGM. They perform well and no checking/adding water which can be a pain depending on their location in the boat. Using a 3-bank 15 amp/bank MinnKota Precision charger. You can select what type of battery it is flooded, AGM, Gel, etc.

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

I just had the Northern AGM batteries quoted

size 27…. $229.00
    Size 29(31)…. $252.00

I am going to run my 3 year old interstates this spring and see how bad of shape they are in before I pull the trigger on AGMS.

thanks for your comments and information on this subject!!

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Fyi, in case anyone is looking for batteries…… I just bought 3 Duracell agm 31’s for 160.00 each at Sam’s.

Sale goes for a few more weeks I believe.

Matt

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

So, based on this thread, last weekend I pulled out my 3 boat batteries from under the garage workbench, to top them off one more time this winter (boats in storage til at least 4/1). As I did, I looked at the purchase dates on them, as I knew one of them was getting older.

I run my 80# Terrova on 2 Interstate SRM-27’s. The date stamps on these two are June 2010, and July 2015. The starting is a Interstate 24M-XHD and is dated May 2017.

So obviously I’ve gotten my years worth out of those 27’s. I do several 5-7 day camping trips up on Rainy and Namakan every summer. Nowhere to charge batt’s out on the islands, so I’ve always had to be mindfull how much I use the TM. I’ve never run out, but came close.

If I were to replace the 27’s with a pair of 31 AGM’s, what kind of run time improvement should I see over my current wet cell 27’s??
    I was looking at the Duracell 31’s at Sams that Matt referenced above.

I’m still a little shocked that the one 27 is from 2010, and it still seems to hold a charge like day 1. I do plan to take both 27’s to L and M and have them tested this weekend.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.