back problems from bass tourneys?

• davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Thanks for the good reading all. First time poster.

Why do I feel that I have to jump every barge wake, force myself to my favorite hole through a wing storm, blast out of a lock behind 130 boats and stand while trying to keep my balance sometimes 12 hours a day??? My thinking (which 99.9% of the Earth’s population does NOT understand) is that if I don’t…someone else WILL.

This year I fished the majority of the BFL season with a HORRIBLE back. I ended up having surgery 2 days after the Super tournament in Red Wing, and had to re-hab in 6 weeks to fish the Regionals in Arkansas. IS THIS NORMAL?? Am I sicker than what I think? I’ve heard numerous stories of how some of the best had to hang up their careers due to a bad back. Are we (or just myself) ignoring something that I could be doing to keep me in the tournaments for a long time?

Whenever I try to explain the spine-shattering, ball-splitting feeling that I get when I hit an unexpected wake, or have to run rough water, my bud’s just go off onto a story when they hurt their back. They don’t have a clue!

My back is GREAT now

!

WOOD

I just want to keep it that way. By the way, I’m only 31. From previous posts, it sounds like maybe Lawrence Ecklor might have some benificial insight.

Unfortunately I believe my moto is, “play hard, or go home”.

-dave

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

D-nort,

Congratulations on no longer being a “lurker” . I think you’ve hit a good point here that many people overlook. I’m 24 years old and I can tell you that my Back hurts after a days’ fishing. Whether it be bass fishing in the summer and standing all day, or sitting on a bucket on the ice staring down a hole . I’m sore when done..that’s for sure. I was out last week 3 or 4 times on the ice, and one day when I was cleaning some tasty sauger, my back cramped up and I was in pain for a few days…It’s feeling better, but guess what? I’ll be back at it again this week, and probably won’t take any preventative measures.

In the summer months, I’d say i get more of a numbing feeling in my lower back from standing, leaning all day..

I think I might start wearing one of those wrap-around back supports….I see several “older” fisherman wearing them (no offense)

davec
    St. Paul MN.

This is a serious problem for anglers.If your going to where back support without your doctors o.k.only use when boating.If you use it all day you are weekening the already damage parts of your back.The pain is telling you to stand straiter,sit down,or just lay down and relax.One of the best crank bait fisherman [David Fritts] use to always sit all time.Fritts said this was to rest the rod on the inner thy of the leg,the brain reacts to this the fasted 2nd only to the finger tips.The other reason is Fritts was a very big man and help him with fateige.I have noticed Fritts has lost a lot of weight and has ben standing moore,maybe he forgot his own rule and does not seem to place as well or maybe I have not kept up with his rankings,so there are times to sit and bass fish.Run in a fiber glass boat and save the pain for tournament day.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Slop Bass
    The problem with a back support is it weakens the muscles in your back which can lead to more severe problems.
    Most people tend to slouch when the get fatigued which is a very common cause of lower back pain. It pays great dividends to pay strict attention to your posture while fishing. Your back will feel much better at day’s end.

D-nort
    Having already sustained a back injury, you must be very careful about how much shock/distress you allow your body to take. Pain is a warning sign. It is not wise to ignore it. You might try installing air cushioned seats such as the Smooth Moves system in your boat or just slowing down a little enroute to your favorite fishing spots.

Remember, you only have one body. If you want to be able to keep fishing into your golden years you must take care of it now.

Gator Hunter

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

SB, no offense taken.

I had thought about the wrap-around back supports, and was quickly deterred thanks to the advice from my doctor. I guess if you wear one of those things long enough, your stomach and back muscle deteriorate. Something about the wrap doing all the supporting and not your muscles. I’m trying to get myself on a lower-back strengthening daily exercise…and I’ve been very faithfull so far .

Quote from the Significant Other, “if it hurts so bad, why do you continue to do it”? Like I said before, “99.9% are not going to understand”.

Passion? Camaraderie? Outdoors? Crossing the eyes of a 4 pounder as I set my jig during a tournament? I believe all the above.

-dave

illinois

i dont know if you all are in shape or not i know im not and i get a sore back alot

in my case my back muscles are stronger then my stomach wich in turns when standing or bending and lifting etc the back carys all the load

the recessed foot pedel coming in alot of new bass boats (althought a little hard to get used to) is supposed to help alieveate some of the back pain

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Here’s an article I ran across that talks about a few things we can do to help ease our pain

Back Pain

If mentions a couple things which are probably most important….Excerise and oddly enough—-shoes!!!

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Being a Strength Coach I will add some input, but you have hit many of the needs to help in back pain relief.
    Strengthening your back as well as your abdominals will help. Also, often overlooked is having good flexibility in your hamstrings. Flexibility or lack there of can either help alleviate pain or in the case of poor flexibility really create some low back pain.
    If you do have a day of pain try to ice it. This will help reduce most swelling which may or may not be apparent. Rarely, if ever use heat. This may have some immediate sensation of relaxation but the longer effect will be to cause greater swelling and pain.

Lastly, have had some great luck with some of the Chiropractors I have seen. I personally like them over many MD’s who will prescribe drugs to elimiate the pain but do nothing for the root problem. Again, this has just been my experience.
    If any of you are Physical Therapists or related field this would be one were we would like to hear from you.

Good luck

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

I know what can help with your back pains…two words…Old Style!

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

BC,

“Old Style”? I assume that your either talking about a smaller and slower boat, or maybe sitting down while bass fishing. Am I close?

Unfortunately, it’s hard for myself to do either. I know that one does not NEED a big and fast bass boat to do well in tournaments, but they sure do make the run smoother and eliminate long runs. As far as the sitting down on the job idea, I know that this would help tremendously, but I can’t do it. I suppose that if I threw a crankbait a lot, I could handle it, but I don’t like crankbait fishing and ONLY throw one when I have to. Sitting down while bass fishing is about as ackward as me trying to force myself to throw a left-handed retrieve baitcaster. Once again, I know it would help, just can’t do it!

I liked the earlier post suggesting a new rig with a sunken trolling motor pedal to reduce back pain. I’m going to print that and take it to the ole’ lady proving that I need a new rig for “medical reasons”

Thank again for all the advice

-dave

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Actually I was referring to the beer.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Being a doctor- i would suggest a few things most of which have been hit on

1) as discussed- strengthen back and abdominal muscles
    2) also stetch every day- calves, hammies, quads, back, stomach, even arms and shoulders- (stretch slowly every day at least once or twice for 10-15 min) starting now and you will be surprised how much more flexibility you have by april
    3) as haywood says- ice it when sore, however heat will help relax the muscles and may be good prior to stretching (ie hot shower or bath to loosen the muscles)- as he mentioned it might make some inflammation worse but if you have spasms it will help. the old athletic trainer adage is heat before/ice after
    4)regular doses of anti-inflammatory medicines (nsaids- motrin/ibuprofen/advil/aleve) all work well but do carry some side effects and risks of long term use. you have to take them regularly and in fairly high doses to help with inflammation and really should check with your doctor to make sure that you are on the correct doses and not giving yourself an ulcer or kidney problems. Also s/he might be able to give you prescription strength so you only have a copay and dont have to spend as much.
    5) physical therapy is a great option if the pain is severe- they can help relieve the pain and teach you range of motion and strengthening exercises to help in both the short and long term.
    6) chiropractors do have a place in chronic back pain and might help some- go to one you trust and have them teach you manuevers you can do at home
    7) work on the ergonomic design of your boat and posture- ie recessed foot peddles, smooth move or other “shock absorbing” seats, standing upright, when you bend down and stand bend at your knees and hips not at your back and try to avoid leaning to one side or forward for extended periods.
    8) above all- if weight is an issue get the weight off- an extra 25 lbs or more can be very stressful on all joints, plus you will be healthier overall

Good luck!

limitfish
    Le Claire, Ia

great post bassbaron. I’m sure this is a problem for a majority of the members( it sure is for me ). I have a recessed pedal and that helped alot now all I have to do is force myself to stretch and exercise a little. My chiropractor has often told me if i would do some mild stretching and 100 sit-ups (crunches) per day I would never have to come to him again.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

BC and I are kind of comparing notes on this on a regular basic. Docs right Celebrex helps, streching helps(hamstrings and general stretching all of your bend over muscles makes a big difference for me), walking aggreesively helps, warm sun helps, over dressing to stay warm helps , too. I’m sure if I didn’t miss it in the post the Doc wants you to talk to your own Doctor about ANY
    strengthning exercises. The less I do of them the better.

Then like was mentioned you have to change your enviornment. Unfortunately you can only do that as fast as you can afford. Here’s some places I’m working one. Electric
    wench loader for pulling boat on $400. Better bumpers($100) to guide boat better so that you don’t have to tug and push on it to get it on straight, get someone else to move the batteries. Steering wheel instead of tiller,(I probably won’t get that one done this year). Using a rods length and construction to assist in the casting rather than making your body do it all. Spend a little bit more on a smoother casting reel. I use a lighter weight rod and sometimes fiberglass, because the stiffer graphites that go to backbone real fast tear me up.

I’ve heard it a lot of times and it seems like it is a fact.
    “Your body will tell you what hurts it and what doesn’t , and if there is any way posssible don’t do what hurts. I realize that for a bunch of reasons you really don’t feel the pain immediately, but after a while the cause /effect picture gets pretty clear. In the past I did things like helping others into the boat or helping others stand up in the boat. I try not do either any more.

Last for me and the most difficult is when your hurt stop. If casting hurts I finesse. In walleye when I can’t cast or jig any more I troll. Hope any little bit of this helps. Fortunately most folks don’t mind going a little slower and at some point you have to do it. Jumping wake and the like
    don’t make sense for me anymore. Slowing down and dog tracking is what I try to do if I’m controlling the boat.
    In some one elses boat I just try to absorb as much with my legs as possible.

I guess the bottom line is we can still fish, the physical side of it just might not be as pleasant any more. Bottom line is if it is a guide day or a tourney that is important for points I will be there until somebody has to spoon me out of the boat.

By The way BB thanks for the excellent info and clarity of
    details. This really helps a lot of us and it was very classy that you took the time to list the details.

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

D-nort
    from you sharing some of your “past” experience up at Red Wing..I have come to the conclusion that your bad back is self inflicted…..All those night you sleep on the floors just so you can scurry out of the room in case your attacked by a spider of two..or perhaps your trying to catch red handed whatever is eating potato chips in the back room…. Dude..you need to get some sleep….after all..how bad are those spiders…..
    That still makes me laugh…….See ya later this year….

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I’m impressed with the knowledge that visits this message board (like I expected anything less from bass dudes)! We ROCK!

As for you DHNITRO…I was hoping that your winter activities (for example…running a bowling alley) would erase all the small talk that had been thrown around during last years tournaments. Obviously not. And you even remember the details!

OK, I admit it…I HATE spiders. Fortunately, I did well in that tourney (or else I would have blamed it on my lack of sleep due to the spiders…and that thing eating chips in the kitchen)!

Nice hearing from you.

-dave

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.