Lake Association prohibits dock fishing

• fishnut

The word is out that a lake association in White Bear Lake has a ordinance put in their books just lately to restrict fisherman from fishing 200′ from the shoreline in front of their property and also from fishing docks unless given permission. Thank God for the Mn. Bass Fed. for stepping in along with some other outdoor interest groups and are trying to put this rediculous law to its hopefully quick death. I’ve read alot of different discussions about it, and it sounds like fisherman and related parties are standing together to shoot this down. If someone had more information or lagistics, please post them so we can all see that justice is served. If people don’t want people fishing around their docks, why don’t they move to the Arctic. I’m sure they won’t have any problems.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

That’s a complete bunch of crap. Why should they be able to limit access to things they do not own? Find out where to send support for opposing this kind of thing and I will send it.

Doesn’t state law on the use of public waterways override local ordinances anyway?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I completely agree…and don’t see how that will hold up in court (so to speak).

And surprise surprise to them..I can cast over 200 ft. …so i’ll fish there anyway..

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

200ft divided by 3ft(1yard) equals 66.666666 yards. I know I can cast that far. I wonder if said dock owner can see me wave my patented one finger salute from that far?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I’m pretty sure this is it.

White Bear Lake Conservation District (WBLCD) Ordinance or Enforcement complaints: 651 429-8520

4701 Highway 61 White Bear Lake, MN 55110
    Telephone (651) 429-8520
    FAX (651) 429-8500

[email protected]

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I think we would have to go above them, to a state authority.

riverbassman

I know in Wisconsin anyway, that water is public and is in the state constitution making it that way so this could not happen here. The water is public that(I am not sure about the truth in this)swim rafts out in the lake in front of someone’s dock are actually public. I would almost bet this will get shutdown before it makes light.

riverfan
    MN

Guys,

Looks like this has been resolved by communications between a few members of the MNBF and the WBLCD so no need for calls or emails. If you hear of any other situations make it known so they can be addressed.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The association is clearly out of line. All water in this state is public. Actually all docks placed in or on water are also public. Help youself!

This is the first I have heard of this issue. Everyone can start the complaint process be e-mailing the Minnesota DNR at:

[email protected]

I need to do a little digging, but I’m almost certain this law would be un-constitutional.

Jon J.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Jon,

Just an FYI…docks themselves that are extended from private land are not public. The water around and under them are, but the dock itself is private. Here is a response from the Mn DNR about the subject:

Docks attached or running from private property are not public, they are private and are treated the same as the dry land they are attached to. If it is private land, the dock is private and no one can use them without permission. If the dock is one public property, city or county
    parks, state accesses, etc, they are public and can be used. But if you put a dock into the water stretching from your property, it is private not public and no one can use it without your permission. Only you or folks you have given permission to can have a cold one on your dock.
    Hope this helps. Kevin

Eric Ahlstrom
    Grand Rapids, MN

As far as I can tell the issue isn’t about any fishermen using a dock. I don’t have any intention of using anyones dock. It is about using the water that surrounds that dock. And it is rediculas for them to try and keep fishermen from doing that.

Eric Ahlstrom

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Additional thought… more of a question. My family (when I was younger) used to spend a lot of time on a lake with extensive docking systems along most of the shore lines. Clearly, this was the desirable structure to fish, and many did (of course there were a lot less fisherman then, too)…

BUT, these docks were full of kids, parents, dogs, etc swimming, sunning, and generally socializing. Since I was a kid once, am now a father, a fisherman, and certainly one who enjoys socializing, I pose the following question:

So, if you came upon a dock with people clearly enjoying the outdoors, swimming, socializing, kids all around, would you:
    A. Pass, and move on to the next one.
    B. Fish it anyway.
    C. Join in the fun.
    D. Fish up to it, stop while in the immediate are, and resume once past immediate proximity of the people.
    E. Slow down to see if the “scenery” was worth checking out…

The question is really common sense, and, I think, by the caliber of people posting, we’d all choose A or D, depending on the stakes of the day. BUT, I think lake associations deliberatly discuss the abberant behavior of the few that bounce there 1/2 Oz. Spinners off the boats and docks with kids snorkeling in the area…

Thoughts?

RG

Ps. 8-12 inches of snow expected today… Man, who is doing the “Extend Winter” dance… Please read the manual again and begin the “Come-on Spring” dance!!!!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I’d definitely slow down and check out the scenery if it was good , but i wouldn’t fish it. Those people deserve their privacy, and besides, if they’re splashing around and what not, I doubt the fishing will be all that well…Oh yeah…and if the scenery was really good, i might ask if they want to take a ride

danwi
    westby wi

Move on.way to many areas to fish.Dont need to try an catch a fish thats no longer there

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

As a parent and a tournament fisherman, I would skip that dock. No reason to be casting to it. The fish are gone!!! Find a nice quiet dock, and get two.
    Steve

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I gotta pick E. Checking out the scenery is a very important part of fishing. Why do you think every fisherman carries a pair of binoculars in their boat?
    The only exception to this rule is if my wife is fishing with me. Then I would just move on to the next dock.

Gator Hunter

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.