Southern Illinois Spring Trip

• rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Okay… My dad (Loan-A-Ranger) and I have narrowed our spring trip south for early season fishing to southern Illinois. I know Kentucky and Missouri are likely better for the distance, but Illinois is where we are headed due our circumstances. Some of you offered opinions…wondering if anyone can share anything more to help us make some final decisions…

Looking at in this order: Kinkaid, Rend, Crab Orchard, Cedar, or Egypt. Any one of these good? One better than the other? I just want to catch fish…and hopefully a 5 lber. Anyone been on these in the past 5 years???

Targeting late March or early April? Right time???

Since we are near Carbondale and Marion Illinois, anyone know of a good place to stay thats relatively inexpensive and would cater to bass fisherman (ie. a plug in for the trolly motor and can park your rig and walk into the room? Decent quarters.)

Your input would be very much appreciated… never been freshwater fishing south of Pool 13, so am very much looking to it! Thanks, guys!

illinois

reel guy i have fished kinkaid i enjoyed it i was there in late may or early june in 94 or 95 the bass popluation was down back then but there were alot of solid fish caught

it has a funky size limit but since your not fishing a tournoment it dont matter

at one time kinkaid was considderd the best muskie lake in the state and it still could be

id lean more toward april then late march
    thats all i can tell ya

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

REEL GUY, I HAVE BEEN TO REND SEVERAL TIMES, BUT ALL THOSE TRIPS WERE IN THE FALL. I AM SURE THE FISHING CAN BE GOOD IN THE SPRING. AND THERE ARE FIVE POUNDERS SWIMMING IN THERE. I WOULD THINK THERE ARE QUITE A FEW. THE HOTEL THAT WE STAYED AT WAS EXPENSIVE, BUT HAD PLUGINS FOR BOATS. IT WAS LESS THAN A 3 MILES FROM AN EXCELLENT FREE LAUNCH RAMP. THE NAME ESCAPES ME, DON’T THINK MUCH WHILE I’M AT WORK. BUT I CAN GET IT FOR YOU IF INTERESTED. TBASS

illinois

i got this info at the ill bass fed presidents meeting last weekend this might help

its the status of the largemouth bass fishery from the illinois department of natural resources divison of fisheries 2004

rend lake
    acording to the fall survey bass should continue to improve in 2004 catch per effort was up 81% from last year(effort is hors taking survey)

ceder lake
    collected 160 bass per hour on average highest in the state by far # of fish between 14 and 18 inchjes is highest in the state percentage of bass over 18 inches is low there is a 10 hp limit on the lake also encouraged to take the bass under 14 inches

kinkaida abundance of bass under 16inches bass over 16 inches are present but hard to catch fish under 14 inches tend to be skinny but once the 12 to 13 inch range growth rate and body conditions greatly improve

crab orchard
    60 bass per hour this fall in the survey wich is twice what it was in 2001 alot of the fish were 12 to 16 inches 16% were over 16 inches with 5 %over 18
    the extreme southren portion of grassy bay is closed from april to june for the spawn

egypt wasnt listed

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Thanks, Dusty T. Thank you very much. Have a great day!

fenderman
    Aurora IL

You might consider using Carbondale IL as a central point for your trip…college town, lots of places to stay. Several good lakes are within 30 to 45 minutes. I do not think much of Rend … better lakes are available. If it were my choice, I would go to Kincaid. I am not a musky fisherman, but seeing the fish that come out of this lake, I think I could learn. I like Crab Orchard, it has been recovering from LMBV for 4 or 5 years now. Lake of Egypt has some trophy’s. I have an Illinois lake map book… If you want some information on any particular lake, I would be happy to send it to you.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Five fish tourneys seem to take 18 – 20#s to win at Egypt.

Tom S
    Woodbury MN

Reel Guy,

I lived in Carbondale for 6 years and you have listed some very good lakes. My favorite by far was Cedar. There use to be a 10 hp maximum which is kind of a pain but the lake can be awsome. Look on points for brush piles that were dropped by local fisherman. One guy in particular is rumored to have places over 200 piles around the lake. If you have a kicker motor I would start on this lake in hopes of a 5 lb fish.

Lake Egypt would be #2 on the list. Its a power plant lake and the spring fishing can be very good. Several large bass taken from this lake each year. Also very good Crappie lake.

As stated above Crab is recovering from a fish kill a few years back. No idea what shape its in now.

Never spent much time on Rend or Kincade but each is within easy driving distance. Also Little Grassy, Devils Kitchen and Smithland Pool on the Ohio River are good bets.

Lodging, I would stay in Carbondale, there are quite a few hotels to chooses from. To get some good fishing information go to the Mississippi Flyway. Its a bar and grill with good food. Its also owned by a very good local fisherman.
    Lastly contact this guy. He is one of the best anglers in the area and also makes a mean jig. Fred Washburn is his name. http://www.cottonmouthlures.com/

Have fun Carbondale is a great little town.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Tom S….

Thanks a bundle, some real good info there. Will let you know how it goes. We are targeting just after Easter, first part of April.

Thanks, again!!!!

RG

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.