Low Profile Baitcaster

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hey Guys, We have a site friend here who needs some advice on a low profile baitcaster and I cut and pasted his question from the Outdoor Gear Forum to over here as I know you guys are the expects on these reels. Thanks, Bill

Pages: 1
    SteveO

Reged: 05/20/01
    Loc: Hudson WI
    low profile baitcaster ?
    #79284 – 12/21/03 07:26 AM Edit Reply Quote

I’ve got a 7′ med. lite casting rod that needs a reel. what would you recommend for under 75 dollars? I don’t want to drop a big bunch of cash because I’m going to be playing around with it. I haven’t had much luck throwing lighter lures with a baitcaster.

Post Extras:

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

I have heard good things about the pflueger baitcasting reels and they are a little bit cheaper than most- probably more like 99 bucks for a trion i think but that has 6 bearings. My advice would be to pay a little more than 75 bucks to get more bearings. IF you are throwing light lures it might be worth a few extra pennies.
    Personally, I use curados which retail around 120 bucks and have no trouble throwing small cranks or weighless plastics with them.

As a side note, sometimes if you go with a bass pro line, or cabelas/gander mtn series you can lower the expense for a decent reel, or try on ebay for a nice reel to see if you can get it for a lower price.
    good luck

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Steve here is my response from the Outdoor Gear Forum.

I use the Quantum Accurist 500PT reel, which is a very good low profile baitcasting reel. It is alittle bit more than the price range you were looking for, but I think that with all the quality features it is packed with, it is a good price, compared to some of the baitcasters, that go over the $100 mark. Here is a link to a product review I did on the Quantum Accurist 500PT, http://www.in-depthangling.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=13&sort=1&thecat=31 . If you are still looking for a low profile reel that is around the $70 mark, than the Quantum Accurist 500 CX would be good reel for you to look at. Here is a link to it for sale at Bass Pro Shops, http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=20637&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults . I wish you luck and if you have anymore questions, please let me know.

onthewater
    Roanoke, Virginia

Under 75? I wouldn’t suggest much, if anything as it’ll last about a year or two -maybe.

I have a 1/4 to 1/2 oz 6.5″ crank bait rod, and I’ve found that the Shimano Curado works very, very well. I’m not sure how much they currently are. This one’s about seven years old.

I also use Quantum PTs, buy they’re about 150. I also use Lew’s BB1s, too. They’re about 110.

Here’s some Shimano Reel info:

http://www.eangler.com/eangler/proshop/productdetail.asp?prod_id=166&dept_id=97&JEX=106096

I do not normally suggest Shimano, but, man-oh-man, the one I have works so well with 1/4 oz crank baits…

Thanks,

OnTheWater

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I don’t want to start a war here but the Quantum stuff is made to be replaced after a couple years. I typically get 1 full season out of them.
    The Shimano’s I use are a little more than 75 bucks but spend the extra and have a reel that will give you a lifetime of fishing. I some Curado’s that are proven for many years and are still going strong.
    jc

BBBane
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have to pile on the Shimano bandwagon. My first
    attempt at baitcasters started out the same way,
    by setting a budget of around $50(This was a FEW years
    ago). I could not get into a Shimano at that price, so
    I took a reocmmendation from a bassin’ friend that a
    Quantum MG1311 was a good choice at that price point.
    It was a good choice for that money, but unfortunately
    it did not handle the lighter stuff well. And it’s
    performance declined after a couple of years of hard
    use. I went back into the market, and looked hard
    and long, for something smooth, and long lasting,
    and finally decided I could keep spending $50 every
    few years, for stuff that was still coming up a bit
    short, even when new, OR, I could raise my budget, and
    get something that worked well, and lasted a LONG time.
    I must have 7 or 8 years on my first Shimano Curado now,
    with nothing more than annual cleaning by a Shimano reel
    warranty shop($10-$15), and it is just as smooth as the
    day I bought it. I now own a FEW more, and have yet to
    wear one out, or have one fail, even in the face of much
    fishing(60-80 days a year). There are other brands,
    that get good reviews, from my fishing friends, so there
    may be more out there that are as good of values, as
    Shimano Curados, but I can not speak to them. Once I
    found Shimano baitcasters, I stopped looking at other
    brands.

Big Bass Bane

riverfan
    MN

If money is the issue the Shimano Calyx sells for $80.00. I’ve handle the at shows, etc. and they seem smooth and solid.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

zebco 202 is always a cheap option

jhall
    Lake City, MN

I just bought my firsh shimano curado a tear ago and its a great reel for $120.00. I have 2 shimano calcutta ct-100 reels that are 7 and 8 years old with heavy use. These are a liitle more spendy at 159.00 but are still the best two that I own.

JHall

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I have one Shimano Curado I have had for 6 years. Works flawless. No cleaning. Ever. (I know, think bad of me if you will) The thing is a tank. Still as smooth as ever. Took my brother out fishing last year and was trying to teach him to pitch. He was using my Quantum Accurist, and couldn’t get it. I switched and gave him a Curado, and within an hour he was doing well. He could not believe the differences in reels.

If I had 75 bucks, I would save up another 45 before I bought the reel. I won’t buy anything now but a Shimano baitcaster. Why buy something when you know you want something else, and you want a Curado.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

I just bought my firsh shimano curado a tear ago and its a great reel for $120.00. JHall

Your ‘firsh” Curado a “tear” ago? How much do you cry JHall? Need a point of reference so we know when you got it!!!

Just kidding Bud, I am the KING of the typo!!!

bigdog1
    NW Wisconsin

i prefer the zebco snoopy reel over the 202, it’s a bit more lower in profile, also the sponge-bob squarepants reel may be an option, the yellow color is good as it is highly visable

OK, on reels, overall shimano, longest lasting reel i have is a garcia syncro it is over 10 years old and beat to death, but has outlasted any quantam or diawa i have ever had

bass423
    Oregon, WI

I have used Curados for the last 8 years and am up to 8 now with one more needed (OK wanted) to finish off my reel selection for 2004. Like others I went through the learning stages with other reels only to be impressed with my first Curado and the second and so on until all I have is Shimano baitcasting reels with the exception of a big Abu for slop fishing with braided line. The Curados are built to last and perform. I would not even consider another reel even though I have access to and try others every year. Bottom line is that all the big reel makers have a top of line or near top of the line reels that work well. Find one that you like the features and feel of and try it for year but do yourself a favor and save up and get one that is priced over $100 and save yourself the headaches and possible heartbreaks of losing a big fish to an inferior reel.

jhall
    Lake City, MN

oof-da!

Looks like someone slipped a little somthin, somthin in my coffee, jeeze its not christmas yet! Yeah mossboss, fuess I vot it about a tear ajo!

JHall

ChadG

They are not low profile but they sure are tough. The old standard Abu Garcia 4600 C3 or C4 are in the price range mentioned. I will say that the C3 does outlast the C4. Shimano has the only reels that I have seen stand the test of time like Garica.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

ChadG… The comment about the 4600 C3 working well and lasting forrever is right on… In fact, the 5500, etc are AWESOME for northern and muskie fishing. When I switched exclusively to Bass, I bought a couple 4600’s because of my past experience (and they are relatively inexpensive).

Problem, though… throwing weightless flukes light cranks, flipping jigs farthr than 6 feet, etc are all nearly impossible. Throwing a texas rigged worm with a 1/2 Oz weight or a 1/2 Oz spinner… flawless, under 30 feet… beyong that distance, hard to get the lure there…

So, I have a couple 4600’s, a few Quantums, and most recently bought a Shimano Curado… (So does my father…) We learned from the best out there to try a Curado… we both own a couple Curado’s now…

wgeister
    Dundee, IL

ChadG: I bought six Shimano Bantams about 25 years ago and used them pretty extensively. Reel Guy “borrowed” a couple of them and really worked them hard. We just retired two of them, but the rest are still working. We’re going to save them for Reels Guy’s little guy. They are a tough reel and still available for less than $100. For the money, the best workhorse reel on the market right now is the Curado.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

What model Curado are you guys running?

Jon J.

wgeister
    Dundee, IL

JON: Reel Guy and I have been using the CU200B model Curados. Last year I bought a CU200BSF, the super free model to try. Its almost to slick! Awfully nice reel, just have to get it adjusted right. May have to pick up another one before spring!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Thanks, I’m sold. My next reel will be a Curado. I have always been a big Shimano fan.

Ok, another question for the Bass guys….

One feature in a low profile baitcaster that I really like is a flipping switch. Curious to know why more baitcasters do not have this feature? Do you bass guys ever use a reel in the “Flipping Mode” or do you just thumb it?

I have been using the Diawa Megaforce 150i on 7 foot St. Croix. I get double use out of it for casting crankbaits and trolling for walleye. The flipping switch is sweet for letting out line one handed while the other hand is on the kicker. Also handy when bottom bouncing and rigging, you only need one hand to let out line. It’s a must have in waters that allow you to use 2 lines.

Anyway, happy with this reel. I bought a couple at Reeds on sale for about $60 bucks each. I don’t cast as much as the Bass fishermen, but this reel has worked well for me.

http://www.daiwa.com/tackle/reels/baitcast/mfi/index.html

Jon J.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

A couple Quantum’s I own have them… so, I tried it, but I guess was never able to break my old habits… Though, your use might be something I could try… Thanks for sharing.

For me, I “thumb it”, so I am not a good one to comment on its effectiveness. It seems like the flippin’ switch would wear reels out faster, depending on how you utilize it. My guess, guys are using it, otherwise, why would manufacturers make them??? Though, it is noteworthy that most higher priced reels (those over $125) don’t seem to offer it… hmmm…

In any case, this guy doesn’t like them…

ChadG

Reel Guy, that is a weird deal with the 4600’s not casting. About all I do is pitch and flip with light lures and mine work fine. I don’t throw weightless flukes but I do pitch tubes with 3/16th oz sinkers a lot with no problems. Goes to show how the same products can be different. I have no doubts the Shimanos are great, I have spent some time with Calcuttas and if I ever did step over to the “dark side” Shimano is where I would go.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

ChadG… Maybe my email wasn’t clear… Sorry about that! I LOVE my 4600’s… I am previously a Muskie-man… Abu was KING…

My point is, casting, and I mean CASTING weightless lures (flukes, swim worms, light jigs, etc) any distance AND wanting a SOFT water entry is difficult, very difficult (if not impossible). I also repair and rebuild reels (hence the name) so mine are always in tip-top shape. The spool has too much friction (unsupported spool) and fewer bearings. So, it isn’t a question of taste, but rather technology and engineering. The Shimano reel ALLOWS a much smoother, longer cast with a soft entrance… regardless of weight.

Hope this helps clarify my point.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

thanks for the input.

I bought a Pinnacle Tetra HS model. flippin’ switch, alum gear box and frame, 7 bearings. Picked it up for 79.99 on sale at Gander. Cabela’s has them for $119.99. I think I made a great buy! Anybody else ever use them?

danwi
    westby wi

i still have a couple of shimano reels they are hard to beat but this winter i have bought several pinnacle reels.I dont have the tetra yet.i have a couple of the pro series a Tara ,Sonara,Janis i think thats about it.They sure do seem very smooth an spin for ever.Now im just waiting for the water to get alittle softer

bucketmouth1

Jon I use the flippin switch always when flipping or pitching jigs or tubes. My reason is sometimes when the lure no more than hits the water and you get a bite you can get a lot quicker hook set.

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

I have a Shimano Bantam Curado 200BSF reel I bought last year. It cast very nice. The only down side I have with it is the 6.2-1gear ratio. I have a hard time fishing as slow as I want with it at times. I don’t know anything about rods, except I like a 7’ trigger rod.. I would like some input on what rod (Action, taper, etc) to put my Curado on to cast a #5 Shad rap the farthest?
    Does the rod or the reel have as much to do with casting distance with light lures?

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Absolutely, the rod has LOT to do with it… The longer, typically, the farther and the fewer birds nests you will experience.

I have several St Croix Avids with various lengths and tapers… For throwing cranks, I prefer either: 7.0 Medium Moderate action (new to my arsenol in 2003)or the 6’8″ Medium XtrFast action (what I’ve used for years before the moderates were available)…

If you are throwing small cranks, the XF is quite nice. But large lipless, deep divers, or standard Model “A” Bombers, the MM is better.

Again, only in my humble opinion.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Further clarification to my position, as I chaulk most of the position to personal preference… Pros vs Cons are different for everyone.

To give you more input…

The 6’8″ MXF is SUPER-sensitive and has that extra “fling” to get the lures out there a ways… But, the rod is using up a lot of its backbone with the resistance that is present just due to the retrieve.

The 7′ MM isn’t as loaded up, and seems to take the underwater objects (rip-rap, logs, etc) in stride as you pull lures over them, so when you go to set the hook, you have plenty left, and it is more of an immediate hook-set.

If you are going to throw SMALL or Shap Raps, the 6’8″ MXF is better (used for walleye fishing). But all summer long last year, I prefer the 7′ MM with my Bass cranks.

Hope this helps.

grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

Ryan thanks for the info..The Avid MXF sounds like the Rod and with a Lifetime Warranty $150 isn’t that bad.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.