Need some advice for a soreback!

• fishnut

I’ve been deeling with a protruding disc for a couple of years now and the doc says I’ll have to live with it. Says the only way they do surgery is if I can’t walk. I’ve been trying to think of some things to help me through the long days of standing on a trolling motor to help me through the day. I’ve tried to do some sitting, but every time I get a bight or feel like I’m in premium water I have a tendency to always be standing. I’ve been looking at Gamblers and some other boats and see the recessed foot pedals they install. My question is have any of you experienced using that set up and if it helps on the lower back, or if you have any tricks you could share besides pumping the ibuprofen? Thanks!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Is it more in your lower back or upper back? I don’t have a disk problem, but my lower back gets tired just from standing all day on the water…Has anyone tried those “backsaver” wrap around straps that go on your lower back? Just a thought

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

My dad and I utilize the bicycle style “butt” seats in both our boats (A Fisher and a Ranger, so neither has the recessed pedal). This device greatly helps relieve the feet, the back, the knees without too much interruption in your ability to accurately cast to locations, as sitting in a chair prohibits many styles of flipping, pitching, or casting.

Anyway, Hope this helps… I wouldn’t trade my “butt” seat for anything!

onthewater
    Roanoke, Virginia

I walk quite a bit which strengthens my back. I also go to the Y which also helps, and I stretch.

I run a Basscat, and it has the trolling motor’s foot control ressesed into the floor which helps as well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

OnTheWater

perch14

FISHNUT

i am not sure if you have tried going to a chiropractor but they can be amazing with what they can do. I don’t know if you live by the quad city area but the Palmer college of chiropractic is located in davenport and also considered the founding school of chiropractic. they do some amazing work there with bulging and ruptured discs. It might be worth a call. Another thing that can be very important is trying to loose some weight. I don’t know if this is a problem for you but an extra baggage is just more stress on the back.

as for a recessed foot pedal. i personally would not recommend it. in my opinion they are not as stable because it is harder to put your weight on it. When you run into an underwater log that you didn’t see it can be difficult to stop your momentum with the recessed pedal.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

Make sure you are taking enough ibuprofen, but if that is not helping then see you doc about trying a different med (naproxen, relafen, vioxx, celebrex, bextra, mobic, many others). Sometimes a different anti-inflammatory can help, otherwise as discussed above stretching, losing weight (if an issue) and strenghening (walk, swim, light lifting, abd crunches, etc) can help ease the pain. It is key to strengthen the legs, back and abdomen. Ive never tried the recessed foot control but it might help. Also, any shock absorbing type seat you can get might offer a benefit for the pounding you take while running.

stuart
    Mn.

go to Burtonreport.com good tips on back care….my backs been hosed up for years and i feel for ya

Bassn Dan

Taking ibuprofen a half hour or so BEFORE you do something that is apt to make your back hurt can keep the pain from starting in the first place. This has made a world of difference for me, and is something that the Doctors don’t necessarily tell you to do, but they do agree that it works.

Using a butt seat as was suggested is also good, even if you use it only occasionally it helps to relax your back and can keep it from spasming.

Seeing a physical therapist for exercises may also be a good idea.

Good luck.

Dan

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I threw my 4th and 5 lumbar out of wack bigtime a few years ago in my lower back and my wife could barley get me into the chiropractors office i hurt so bad. He took some exrays and found the problem. He put me on the table and massaged the swollen muscles around the lumbar and pushed them back into place. I was still very sore when i left and went back a week later for a readadjustment. He put me on the table and craked bones back into place that i swore were out of place for years, i felt so good i shook his hand. Been fine every since. A decent chiroprctor is good medicine, your bones might only need to be put back into place, hope this helps.

riverfan
    MN

Fishnut,

Here is a solution. You give me all your spots and I’ll put you in the chair on my back deck and take you to them. I promise I’ll never use them.

fishnut

Isn’t that what happens already?!!!!! Just kidding. Everyday is a treat to be on the water with you. Actually, everyday is a treat to be on the water with or without you! It is helpful to fish with a guy who can run a trolling motor and fish at the same time and the two can swap back and forth. I guess that’s one reason I like team tournamnents so much, or fishing with experienced anglers so it’s more of a give and take experience. I just hate it when a guy back seats me off of my spots. I believe payback time will be here soon enough. Happy New Year Riverfan and the rest of the readers and thanks for taking me to the Wild game. Fishnut

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.