Spring Trips – Timing is everything… right?

• rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

I was thinking (anyone else smell the smoke?) about a spring trip south of Wisconsin… Iowa qualifies, but not sure the bass are spawning all that much sooner…

Anyway, I was considering Missouri… Anyone know what time is optimum for heading south to Table Rock Lake? March? April? Am I way off?

Was hoping to catch some 5 lbers… Is Table Rock the right place to go? What are your thoughts on locations. I remember the “dream trip” discussion, but am looking for a “practical trip” that is not TOO far and wouldn’t cost TOO much $$$.

Anyone have any thoughts?

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

There is a lake in northern MO that is called thomas hill. The fish aqre usually biting in march. Your odds of getting a 5lb fish are pretty good at this time of year. I have been there a couple times just trying to get out and have done well in the past.
    jc

ChadG

We were on Table Rock in March one year and the fish were biting good. Crawdad Wiggle Warts, jigs and Rougues. I hate Rougues but thats what they wanted. We got into some big old white bass too. Grand Lake or Fort Gibson in Okl. are good in the spring also. It has been a few years since I have been to either so things may have changed.

kennedy
    Manchester, Ia

Jeremy,
    How long of a trip is Thomas Hill? How long of a drive?
    What was the temp when you went down last in March?
    Thank you for the information

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Our club used to go down every spring.
    I don’t remember the temps but the fish were cooperating.
    jc

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

JC… early or late March?

fenderman
    Aurora IL

Thomas Hill resevoir is a power plant lake, with a warm water arm that has some shallow brushy bays to the east and northeast of the discharge. Fish hang around the visible stick ups…spinnerbaits work well for me… also the west arm of the lake has plenty of rip rap around the bridge…try a jig/pork along the south/west side rocks, and at the bridge neckdown. The north/west side of the bridge gets pretty shallow halfway down. If the lake has good water level, there is an incoming creek northeast of the bridge by the ramp that can be good…way across a shallow flat with stumps. Some nice coves north of the bridge too. I like the inside of the island on the way into the hot water discharge creek arm…good depth and structure. Only iffy part of March is the ramp may be unusable if icy weather occurs during your trip “south”. This is a good lake with some healthy fish. If you could only figure out how to get your boat up into the discharge safely….

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Fenderman is correct…
    You will have to play the timing be ear. If we have a really cold winter you might have to watch the weather channel. If it is normal the 3rd week should be a good one.
    jc

perch14

i Have gone down to Reelfoot lake at the end of march the last two years and done well. The numbers are not high, but if you can find the bass they are usually schooled up in prespawn mode and the average size fish is 3 1/2 pounds. Are biggest is 8 pounds with three more around 6 and two many 4-5 pounders to count. The lake is an experience in itself basically being a a 7,000 acre cyprus swamp. Because of this if you are looking to run the boat around i might not recommend the lake. My group has always used the boats provided because they are flat bottom and stumps are everywhere. If interested i can provide some areas and a great bed and breakfast to stay that caters to fisherman for like $35 a person a night. It is a different world down there. Crappie are king, but there are some hog bass as well.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I know this is off the subject a touch, but has anyone ever gone on a fishing trip for the all-powerful PEACOCK BASS? They looks like a blast to catch on t.v..I

aabfeh
    QCA

If your thinking about Thomas Hill, Macon is where you’ll stay. You can also fish Long Branch Lake, it’s right outside of Macon. We’ve actually done very well on big fish in late Feb on Long Branch, right before the spring rains start and muddy things up. There’s also a city lake in Macon that is full of fish. Trolling motor only but a great place to get out of the wind. One of these three usually has some fish biting.
    Don’t waste your time at Mark Twain. Not a good early spring lake. Check some of the other boards for Lake of the Ozarks. You can catch quality fish there year round. Early march is excellent.

illinois

our club quit going to thomas hill and longbranch 3 years ago we generally fished in in april they had a pretty bad fish kill in one or both lakes but fishing is coming back now personally they are the biggest fish lakes i have ever been on especially long branch if you hit it right

longbranch at the time we had a club record 22 lbs in 5 fish in april ihave been on the lake 3 times and never have we gone with out a 6lb plus fish coming into the boat i was in our club had a fish over 10 lbs weighed in at long branch

i had a day on long branch i caught a 5 a 6 and a 8 my partner caught a 3 prefishing the next day didnt get bit one time

macon city lake is a great place to fish alot of our guys would go there instead of pound the other 2 lakes if they went down early

also if planning to go there there is a resturant inbetween macon and the turn to thomas hill lake its in a town called bevier called the pear tree best steak joint youll ever eat at we go there once a year and they rember us the galesburg bass masters great food less then 30 bucks for the best meal i ever had

alkfish
    St Paul MN

Reel Guy,

Another option is to go to Lake Fork in TX. A bit further to drive, but worth every mile. There are more peeps than me that have fished it. A ton of free info to go kick them TX bass. Best general time frame for us has been last week of feb 1st week of Mar. Pre spawn rattle traps, or wood fishing spinnerbaits, jigs, slug-go. SHOOT a PM if you would like more info……..

JLB
    MO

Reel Guy – I may be able to help you if you are considering a trip to Table Rock. I am actually looking out the window at the Rock as I type this, I live on the west end near Shell Knob on the King’s River Arm. Have fished it 14 years and now that I live here it’s the only place I fish, getting out about 80 times/year. Was looking at this board as I am trying to plan a trip to Lake Pepin in May. Usually go to MN every June for SM at Lake Vermilion, but may have to adjust schedule this year.

Peak of spawn is mid April. It’s a large lake with a lot of different conditions, patterns, and water temps depending where you are on the lake. We have largemouth, spots, and smallmouth. It’s a typical highland reservoir with generally clear water. Lots of rock, but no aquatic vegetation whatsoever unless the lake is high enough to flood the shoreline bushes, which is usually the case in the Spring.

The “easiest” time to fish is March through mid May, when you can find a lot of fish shallow. Good fishing can be had year round, but July-late September is probably my least favorite period. Lots of large fish caught throughout the winter, especially late Feb and later. Later in the Spring, you can catch shallow fish just about any way you like to fish, lots of presentations work. My best single day ever for size was last year, post-spawn in mid May.

It’s a beautiful lake in the Ozark mountains, but be forewarned is gets a phenomenal amount of fishing pressure in the Spring, so expect a lot of company. That said, it’s a huge lake and there’s plenty of room, good fisherman generally do well that time of year. It’s not a “big fish” lake, but 5# LM are pretty common and you should probably be able to hit that mark on a trip, just not very many times. There is a 15″ length limit on all 3 black bass species so expect to catch a lot of 14-15″ fish.

These are a lot of general statements, if you have specific questions just ask and I will try to give specific answers!

Tight Lines – JL

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.