Swim Baits

• rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Anyone get this month’s InFisherman and read the article about Swim-Baits? They are talking about how UNDER-used they are east of the Rockies…

Admittedly, I do not even own any (tie this post to the other about too much tackle… maybe MORE baits for the box). I am wondering if anyone in this area is having success with them? I can see using them on clear lakes, but the Mighty Miss?

In thinking about this, I use a LOT of weightless Zoom Super-Flukes and perhaps this isn’t all that different a presentation. Maybe similar?

Curious the thoughts and experiences of the readers?

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I’d call a siimple twister tail a swim bait and I know this is one of the best presentations out there.
    jc

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

JC, I know you are being sincere and funny at the same time, but the article is referring to the 3-8 inch plastic “fish” with the large single hook… those typically used in southern Cal impoundments.

Any use of these??? (Perhaps Walleye guys use ’em?)

Reel Guy

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

I have been using the Storm Wild Eye swim baits since they came out. I do well with these but I haven’t noticed them to be any better than a crank bait unless you are around heavy vegetation.
    jc

bass423
    Oregon, WI

The shad style Wild Eyes work good for casting to surface feeding fish because they are heavy and cast like a rocket. I prefer the boot tail to the curly tail ones. These are just smaller versions of the bigger CA swim baits. Same idea except a single hook versus a pair of trebles. I used them this year with some success in the river. Swmimming a jig in its purest form!

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

ive used some of the smaller swim baits on the river and they work well. I used the storm baits discussed plus i used a 5″ charlie bait with some success. Im not sure it was any more successful than using a shallow crank but it snags a lot more with the treble. They are bulky so i would imagine them working well in dingy water but have not experimented enough to see if they offer an advantage. I have 2 of them so ill keep you posted on success or lack thereof.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Reel Guy
    Is this the bait you are talking about? I put in a post asking abut this bait a while back in the gear forum but nobody wrote back.

Gator Hunter

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

GH,

I think those are the new Storm Wild Eye verticle jigging lures. They don’t have them on their website yet(their website still reads 2002), but I saw them a few days ago in the ice fishing section of Gander Mtn.

riverfan
    MN

Reel Guy,

I have a lot of faith in the Northland Manic Minnow. It has save my hide on several occasions. It’s a smaller (around 4″) soft plastic swimming body on a lead head. What is unique about is the bottom of the head is concave so in addition to the swimming tail the body rocks from side-to-side like a crankbait. It has a quality, fine-wire hook that is easy to set with spinning tackle and light line. I had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison with the Storm Wild Eye and the Mannic Minnow caught most of the fish on that outing.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Yes… Gator Hunter, exactly.

For those posting, did these baits prove MORE effective than other presentations? And, in what conditions and season were they effective, if in fact they were?

I have a hard time thinking they would be on the river. Hard plastic baits offer rattles and naturally will have “noise” due to hooks hitting the side of the hard body baits. BUT, am hoping to learn more.

bassbaron
    eldridge, ia

reel guy- they dont make the noise, that is for sure- but they do have quite a bit of bulk and the bigger ones with less weight you can fish quite slowly. they also wiggle a lot more. like i said, i havent been able to tell when or where they work best- still experimental but they do have a sweet wobble to them. i figure if the fish can find a senko they can find this. too bad i cant go out now and let you know- water is a bit chilly!

Inge
    West Central WI

Reel Guy,
    In Fishman ran a similar article 2 years ago, but in regards to Walleye fishing. AT that time I didn’t have, nor had I ever used plastic swam baits. So I decided to try them. I purchased commerically available baits, and a friend of mine makes plastics(he posts on this site) and made me up some custom ones.
    I ran 3 tests on these baits early in 2001: 1 day fishing alone on Pool 4 for Walleye in March, and twice fishing for bass with a group of guy here in Central WI who have a small fishing league – where weekly we have a frienfly competion(no money – just bragging rights for the day). My results were as follows:
    Walleye fishing: That day I ran 2 types of baits:
    – 4″ swim baits in various colors
    – jig with a 4″ ring worms, dressed with a minnow.
    The Ringworm/minnow combination produced much better.
    Bass Fishing: I decided on these 2 days to use the swim baits exclusively to see how they compared to all the various baits the other guys were using(2 guys to a boat, 6 boats fishing).
    1st Day: Lake is natural, fairly deep, mostly a Walleye & Smallmouth fishery. Was 2nd week of May, cold windy/rainy day. No one boated alot of fish, but I boated both the most in numbers, as well as largest bass for the day.
    So they did well.
    2nd Day: Lake is an impoundment, moderate depth, mostly LM Bass, timber being the predominant structure. 1st week of June. Lots of baits thrown that day, Senkos on swallow structure was the best producer. Basically I got my tail kicked. We were in my boat, and the guy behind me would pull bass off of structure I just fished with the swim bait, using a Senko.

After that I have used them on and off, but not done anything I would consider proof of whether they were better or not. I will say such baits have not become one of my gotos, say as are various Jig/plastic, or Senkos in similar fishing spots.

Hope this helps.
    Inge

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.