looking for bass in all the wrong places.

• MRHBK

hey, I’m having some trouble finding any bass on pool7and 8 anyone got any advice for me thanks.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

From a new guy on bass fishing. I would be looking for a back water where the temps are a bit higher than the main channel and throw a bass spinner. Try some lay downs. I am sure there is more to it than that and I am sure someone will post further advise. Good luck next time out.

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

Like Drew said you want to find the warmest water you can. Right now I would try to find some water in the 50 degree range. Spinnerbaits work well along with swim jigs. They seem to work better in the afternoon once they get more active. If they seem lethargic, jigs, senko’s or flukes will work. Also if you can locate any weed growth or old weeds. A guy to PM or talk to would be Cade L. He has made a few posts worth reading. Good Luck, Dan

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

The fish are starting to eat well..We didn’t boat any hogs, all though a couple came unbuttoned that felt like pigs, but about 20 fish came to the boat today on pool 8 between me and Justin. Most were small in the 12-13″ range but we had a few keepers as well. We were fishing an area that we have fished a lot post spawn but never this early in the year, and it sure fishes a lot differently now! It felt good to stick a bunch of bass though, and the weather was fantastic. The key was a steep rocky shoreline falling into 4-8 ft of water. We would catch fish occasionally on the rocks, but found that they were usually grouped up around submerged laydowns and boat docks along the rock stretch. We were skipping senkos…We tried some submerged vegetation with swim jigs, and I had one catastrophic hit but she came unbuttoned. Water temps were lookin’ good when we left at 1:15, sitting between 47 and 49 degrees. Just go into the outting with confidence, fish near spawning areas, and fish slow.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

A lot of great information listed above, so my first advise, would be to read them again.

Here’s a reflection on tournament I fished in April 2008 on pool 8. Left hotel in 30+mph winds with gusts over 45. Air temp was 31 degrees at 5:30 launch. Snow was coming down horizontal at take off. We were heading south to a cut in a rip/rap shore where we caught pre-spawn pigs on cranks during the last hour of prefishing the day before. Tournament morning – NOTHING THERE. I drove up and down each joining shoreline looking at my Side imaging for DEEP wood. From 7:00 to about noon, we hammered keepers by very slowly dragging jigs through the deepest wood we found. As the water warmed, the fish kept moving shallower and more agresive. By 1:00pm, the crank bite was back as it was the day before. Hopefully this helps

LipJerker

You sure thats not suppose to be looking for love in all the wrong places? I would first go with a different partner and then i would start using a right handed reel. Just my thoughts. Oh yeah stop listening to country music too!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.