New World Record Bass?

• Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Wow….amazing catch. I think I agree that these people are legit, but w/o going through the proper procedures for a world record fish, I think that it won’t be recognized…I bet that lake will be heavily fished and if that monster survived, it will be caught again soon.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

That’s a great story. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Gator Hunter

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

I’m guessing Bass Pro would have paid a healthy fee to have that thing swimming in their aquarium in Springfield, MO.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Looks like one I caught a while back

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Nice work…could use some Photoshop work though. IT professionals…

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

“Professional” used pretty loosely…

Actually, I thought Slop Bass was more into giant PERCH fishing.. this is the wrong forum for him…

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

RG…

are you still upset that i smoked you in the frenzy?? And yes i do have a monster Perch mount…(caught while Bass fishing)…

Professional used loosely?? Ryan…call me cause i just deleted your account from the system…Let’s see how much work you get done today!!! who’s laughing now!!!!

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Touche’, Slop Bass… I mean IT Stud Muffin… May I please have another….

And, well, nice job at the Frenzy…

fishnut

Slop bass. Do you really have a square head? I’ve never been able to put a hat on a square item. I’ll bet you need that mug stuck behind the windshield!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

lmao…having a square head makes things interesting..that’s for sure..lol

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Chicks dig square heads.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

I believe you misinterpretted the “chicks”… They said you were about as cool as Sponge Bob SQUARED PANTS…

Okay, that was weak… Its Friday and its been a L-O-N-G week…

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

There is an article in today’s Tribune that might recognize that monster Bass as the NEW world record.

Click Here

bass423
    Oregon, WI

How unfortunate that the Tews who apparently know about the procedures of the IFGA did not follow all the rules to verify the catch. Good news is that is reportedly still swimming. Anyone for a weeks vacation to Spring Lake?

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Bass423… Interesting thing is that the lake prohibits BIG boats and is ALL ELECTRIC from what I can gather… So, it will propbably keep it from getting *too* hammered, I’d think. Maybe not… A man could get VERY rich if he were to catch it this spring full of eggs…

illinois

i read in a bass times article by the length and gerth mesurements taken of this fish it should have weighed 17 or 18 lbs and judging by the picture it dont look like its 22 lbs if i can find the article ill post it i know ill never catch one that big

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

I don’t know that I disagree with the rejection but two things bother me about the whole deal.

1) Why must we kill a fish to satisfy the record?

2) How much documentation did George Perry have? I believe this lady had more than George did. Why does he hold the title? Maybe we should throw his claim out as well.

OK let me have it. I dared to besmirch the great name of George Perry.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I would agree w/you for the most part, except George Perry’s Fish was well documented. The old man at the General store who aided him in weighing it in was a Notary Public, and made the entire weigh in official. The scale at the post office was a certified scale….Thus making it a legit record…

I wouldn’t doubt one bit that this lady’s fish weighed what it did….but what do you expect from somebody who probably didn’t know any better.

All i know is that any true bass fisherman knows what the world record is, and If i were to catch it, There’s no way in h*ll it’s going back into the water…Sorry guys!!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

So they guy was ahead of his time targeting deeper water bass. His record is in my opinion an urban legend and until it is debunked I will confirm to the masses.
    jc

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

JC, let me get this straight…you are questioning the long standing, very respected world record bass? What, do you thing the bass record was accomplished through cheating?

Has the muskie record muskie disqualification and reinstatement of Louie Spray’s fish made you question the integrity of the bass record?

Help me out? As far as I understand it, this record hasn’t been questioned. AND, since the fish coming from Lake Castaic are so close to the record, why couldn’t a fish have been caught that WAS that big?

Please clarify.

As for Slop Bass’ comment… If I weighed a fish within ounces of the record, I believe I would put it in the livewell and drive it around and get all I could for documentation. Then, drive straight to a Bass Pro Shop and put it in their aquarium for the price of…

kenwarren
    Olin, Iowa

I am not sure if I agree it is urban legend but something about Perry’s record has always bothered me, but that is another issue I guess. It just seems his record is untouchable in bass fishermen’s eyes and most would deny a new record to anyone anyway they can, unless of course they catch it.

I don’t have an acurate number but it seems the same situation keeps coming up. I think 3 to 5 fish bigger than Perry’s have been caught in the last few years in California but for one reason or another thay couldn’t be accepted.

The reason seems to always be that the fisherman isn’t worthy. They aren’t because they had not memorized the offical rule book of how to properly document the fish as any self respecting basser should.

If that is the case can you be absolutly sure if you caught the big one you would do everyting 100% correct? You better be if you ever want the record.

In my mind it doesn’t matter. To me it is not really a record to be proud of if there were ever anything larger caught officially or not.

All of the controversy has stained Perry’s record. He is no longer the angler who caught the biggest. He is just the only one who came close to getting the certification right. I don’t think even he would standup to the scrutiny of today’s world.

One last note the scale used in the last incident was certified as well and there were witnesses, but that is not enough. Perry’s fish went from the scale to the dinner table and was not examined by a biologist nor were there 10’s of photographs to confirm it all of which are required today.

OK sorry guys, had to vent. I hate bureaucracy!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Well, This is my thinking. The fish was caught in the 30’s if memory serves me correctly. That would mean the scales of the time would have looked something like this.

There has been much analysis done as well and there have been more discrepancies than legitimacy. Like I said prior that I support the validity of this record as it stands but will feel far more certain when it is broken.
    Jc

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Here is a link for the: IGFA WORLD RECORD APPLICATION w/instructions on how to submit it: I think i’m going to start carrying a copy w/me at all times

IGFA WORLD RECORD APPLICATION

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

“Here is a link for the: IGFA WORLD RECORD APPLICATION w/instructions on how to submit it: I think i’m going to start carrying a copy w/me at all times

Never know when that world record Bowfin could be on the end of your line!!!

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Okay, Slop Bass, THAT was funny! However, a point of clarification for you, buddy… the way you are headed, you have a shot at 2 records:
    1. Smallest fish ever caught on a hook-n-line
    2. Biggest PERCH every caught

You da man, Slop Bass!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Dan..I appreciate your continued support ….and it is a goal of mine to break the 14 yr. old record of 21lb’s 8oz.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Ryan….I’m not the one pulling in 3″ largemouth bass and then contemplating having it mounted

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.