Shakin’ Out Cobwebs- Pool 7 Bass

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

After seeing Chris’ (Skeet123) report, I was anxious to get out on pool 8 today and try to find a few fish of my own. I had an idea of a few places I would try and would likely find some warmer water in. I got a call just as I was on my way out the door and it turned out to be Chris himself inviting me to come up and fish his spot for the day..I said of course! We took my boat and hit the water. It only took about 10 minutes before I connected and within 25 minutes I had 3 keepers in the boat. What a great feeling that was. The fish were for the most part located in a 60 yard section of dead coontail and for the first hour or so we loaded the boat. The key presnetation was flipping a black and blue jig next to the submergent standing coontail clumps. Not every clump had a fish, but it sure seemed like most of them did for a while there The bite was not too hard, but definitely not un-detectable. On the second pass Chris got the fish dialed in and started knocking their lights out. I watched him set the hook on a solid fish, and then she came to the surface and we were looking at a solid PIG..I netted her for him and we were pumped. The fish totally eclipsed my bump board and we figured she was over 20″ and close to 5 lbs. Once I finished my limit I started trying some other stuff. I figured that the way these fish were hitting the jig, they would certainly hit a single colorado spinnerbait fished slow and dropped on the clumps. Sure enough, I got nailed by a 17″er on the 3rd or 4th cast and from there the pattern was strengthened. I caught a few more fish on the spinnerbait and one more keeper on a jerkbait, while Chris also experimented catching a couple on a spinnerbait, tube, and I think he caught one or 2 on a senko. All said and done it was an awesome day! My best 5 were around 13-1/4 lbs and Chris had a very nice bag with 15-1/4. We will be back at it tomorrow morning and I’m hoping I can put a hook to one of those bigger fish!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Cade, thats not lighting a fire…its igniting the stick of dynomite Now I’m fired up. Enough of these browns and steelhead. Onto some real fish!

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Looks like it’s been a great week for spring break Cade. Nice fish. Bet ya can’t wait to get back to school.

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

I’ll have to admit…this post pumped me up even more than I already was…nice work

boods
    Lancaster, WI

Quote:

I’ll have to admit…this post pumped me up even more than I already was…nice work

DIDO!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Cade,
    Very nice report, and great job with the LM.
    Heck, It’s only March, Isn’t it ?????
    Keep it up.
    Jack

aaron_carrell
    Minneapolis, MN

Dang it Cade… I’ve been dieing to get down there soon to fish with a buddy, and now you’re just killin me! Waiting for seasons up here in the cities sucks. Hopefully I’ll be down there in 2 weeks with the same kind of luck. Nice job slayin’ em so early in the year!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

might have to giver ‘er a go this weekend..

nice job

hydragold21

I was lucky enough to be out there with chris the first day n catch a couple bass, thanks for the fun bud.

ses
    Mississippi River

Good work man!

Outkastconnor
    Royalton, MN

You guys have open back waters down there? I am guessing that this area you are fishing has some access to deep water? Not trying to find your spot just trying to put together where to start looking myself. So much ice in the cities though it could be tough!! Spent a lot of time on pool 4 in the spring and the backwaters dont seem to get going until mid to late april

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Thanks guys. I can’t take all this credit though…I have to give a big thanks to Chris for being so kind and letting me in on the fun. He is the one that did the homework and figured the fish would be on the bite.
    Thanks Chris

natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

any idea on water temps where you were fishing?

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

That’s beautiful… …just beautiful.. I can’t wait till we can get some open water here!!!

kyle_seubert
    La Crosse, WI

those are some nice lookin fish chris and cade

jstoefen
    Eldridge Iowa

Cade,

What was the water temp on pool7?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

between 44 and 47 degrees.
    Here are a few pics from Thursday– Me with an 18″ fish, Chris with a 16-1/2″er and Justin with his first largemouth of the year, a 17″er that he was very happy about
    We fished again on Saturday and only caught 1 keeper each–it sure toughened up..Now that most of the key areas are open on 8, I’ll be focusing my efforts closer to home again. Hopefully I’ll be able to get out thursday or friday and find some fish.

LipJerker

How come theres no motor on that boat?? fishing a lake or something?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Just went to my garage…you scared me there man..but thank god the motor’s still there..

Nope, we’re legal, fishing the backwaters of pool 7

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.