fishing shell beds on the river..

• oldrat
    Upper Midwest

Okay.. the big story this past year has been fishing “shell beds” on various bodies of water.. I know of a couple of shell beds and I have not done anything on them in the past..

Does anyone fish shell beds.. in the 6, 8, 10 12 foot or deeper of water on the river..

am I missing something? not asking for a spot I am asking for discussion and teaching…

I would like to discuss time of year to fish.. current or no current, although I would question why the shell beds would be out of current.. Ideas and opinions..

Reading on line, that shell beds were hot last week on Okeechobee.. and trying to compare and contrast and bring new methods and new techniques to an old river..

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

I’ve had the best luck in May & early June chunking Bomber A cranks off the sand in 3 to 8 feet of water. Once the weeds fill in and thicken up seems the fish don’t use the clam beds as much.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

my biggest question is how do you find them??? A friend of mine lucked on to one in the middle of backwater lake on the Miss that was loaded with smallies last summer.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

my biggest question is how do you find them???

Dead clam shells on the shoreline are a good give away. If you’re skilled at reading your electronics, you should be able to see them on your graph.

I’ve talked to guys who’ve used metal piping to find clam beds and a few others who’ve dragged 3ft of logger chain attached to a rope.

A lot of the clam beds I used to fish long ago are now buried under more than a couple feet of sand.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I’ve fished alot of them and never had any luck. Try lily pads.

kris_brantner
    My river

you fish alot of different things eron and never have any luck…

natureboy
    LaCrosse,WI

crankbaits on shell beds are the BEST… there’s nothing like feeling that feeling your rod tip… sand sand sand clam bass

phishirman
    Madison, WI

great as if I didn’t have enough crap in my boat, now I gotta carry around a metal pipe and log chains

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

I’ve fished alot of them and never had any luck. Try lily pads.

Oh Please…………..there’s a line of B.S.!!

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Whatever. Nice signature. Try this one, it suits you better. “I’d sell my mom for 2nd place….. Coyote223”

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Whatever. Nice signature. Try this one, it suits you better. “I’d sell my mom for 2nd place….. Coyote223”

Lemme repeat that.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I have caught quite a few clams on spinner baits with the skirt actually in the clam not just snagged, along with a few fish in the same areas.
    Also I would think your underwater camera would help in locating clam beds

gregh
    s.e. minn

Oh and whats this “Live life, taste death” scarrrrrrrrrrrrrry.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Can’t you even get something relevant to me this site?

Go back in your hole, you mole.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

guys I asked a question in the most professional manner.This year shell beds are being discussed from Florida on up..

I have come across one or two, and have not had much luck, but I probably fished them at a poor time..

but what I wanted was some discussion so that all of us could learn from one another. If I wanted name calling or infighting, I can go to a site where its rampant.. I really felt that this site was one where GUYS HELP GUYS Fish and learn how to fish better and with more variety.

and even though I come across as stiff in my writing I really want to impart my knowledge so that others can learn.. and I know that I am long winded as well.. but if you read my stuff, there is always something to learn..

So guys I ask that we have a free flow of discussion here on this thread and keep the personal problems to some place else..

thanks and have a really really fine day.

the ol’ rat..

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

Quote:

Can’t you even get something relevant to me this site?
    Go back in your hole, you mole.

Well if ya ever posted anything that was relevant maybe I could. So go climb back in your cave,you neanderthal.

Old Rat, we’re just having alittle fun so relax.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Old Rat-

First off, if Coyote and I are bantering, its all in good fun. We happen to be good friends that always enjoy taking a shot at each other for a good laugh. I think in some cases it makes for an entertaining read or addition to a thread. Obviously, you are on “team serious” and I suspect you are an exception to my last sentence.

The thread was started on 2/4 and died on 2/10 with one exception beyond that. With that said, and the fact that the two people you are calling out for “infighting” and “name calling” are good friends, I really don’t see a problem.

I thank you for you’re contributions to the site. I like to read reports, see whats up, shoot the [censored] and so on, but the fact is, I really doubt most guys are going to post in public forum what has taken them years and years to figure out. But….I know that many, myself included would happily share a secret in a PM if it feels right.

I have to go now, I have more name calling to do……

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

Old Rat-
    First off, if Coyote and I are bantering, its all in good fun. We happen to be good friends that always enjoy taking a shot at each other for a good laugh. I think in some cases it makes for an entertaining read or addition to a thread. Obviously, you are on “team serious” and I suspect you are an exception to my last sentence.
    The thread was started on 2/4 and died on 2/10 with one exception beyond that. With that said, and the fact that the two people you are calling out for “infighting” and “name calling” are good friends, I really don’t see a problem.
    I thank you for you’re contributions to the site. I like to read reports, see whats up, shoot the [censored] and so on, but the fact is, I really doubt most guys are going to post in public forum what has taken them years and years to figure out. But….I know that many, myself included would happily share a secret in a PM if it feels right.
    I have to go now, I have more name calling to do……

Hey Old Rat, I’ll save the time, dont send eronningen a pm cause he wont tell ya anything.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Since you made light of that comment, I’d pretty much share with anyone except you. You are the exception Coyote

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

Since you made light of that comment, I’d pretty much share with anyone except you. You are the exception Coyote

Like I didnt know that already.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

Sorry, but if you go to “another fishing / outdoors forum” this type of stuff isn’t bantering. it’s the real deal. and there are guys there who really hate, and I MEAN HATE each other.

and its a much different atmosphere. So I am sorry that I didn’t realize that it was in good fun.. and I apologize.

let just say that this other Lake and river LINK forum is a real battle zone.. and it causes me to be careful.

so please under stand from where I have come from..

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

You’ll have to learn to live with the on-line ribbing between IDO’s very own Abbot & Costello. I’d apologize for them, but the apology would most certainly fall well short.

I wish I could help you with the clam beds, but I haven’t found a decent clam bed in a long time. Like I’ve already stated, all the good clam beds(I know of) are long ago buried.

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

You’ll have to learn to live with the on-line ribbing between IDO’s very own Abbot & Costello. I’d apologize for them, but the apology would most certainly fall well short.
    I wish I could help you with the clam beds, but I haven’t found a decent clam bed in a long time. Like I’ve already stated, all the good clam beds(I know of) are long ago buried.

If we’re “Abbot and Costello” you and Wats or Slop must be Dumb and Dumber!!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I was being nice. Don’t make me change my position on that…

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

I was being nice. Don’t make me change my position on that…

Lemme say it again

ikeslayer
    Rochester, mn, Usa, Earth

Quote:

We happen to be good friends

you fessed up to it – cute – tear
    you guys touch me with your words

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

Quote:

We happen to be good friends

you fessed up to it – cute – tear
    you guys touch me with your words

Your just jealous!!

hydragold21

Just getting ready for the fishing tournys this year, and was wondering if anybody would be a for sure boater, so if I sign up to co angle the may 16 th flw I dont get screwed out of a boater.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Hey Coyote,

listen – sorry to have missed your wedding but just wanted to say thanks for sending the card….Congrats again

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.