Dream Trip

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

While sorting through my bottomless pile of tackle, I started to think of things I’d rather be doing. At the top of the list was bass fishing.(of course)

Now knowing the season and conditions my mind started to wander as to where I would like to go. If I had to schedule a vacation based on bass fishing any time of the year where would I go? My choice was the San Diego area when those big females are on or nearing their spawn beds. We’ve all seen the quality of fish coming from that area. Secondly would be to chase some monster peacock bass.

With that being said, I was wondering where you would schedule a trip to catch moster bass if you had the chance.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Cuba….
    If only they would allow us permits to go…
    This bass fishery has never been tappped into. The potential is increadable.

Choice number 2 would be the Charleston River.
    jc

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Although the fishery has potential (that the pros couldn’t tap) but no proven “monsters,” I would like to take a guided tour of the Louisiana Bayou where the Citgo Bassmaster’s was when Ikonelli won this year. It looked GORGEOUS and the idea of running so far and seeing that kind of “unseen” wilderness, so different from what we are used to up here, just seems very alluring.

What I would do without a wife, kids, job, and communittee responsibilities AND had LOADS of cash…

Though, I wouldn’t change a thing.

BBBane
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’m thinking somewhere in South America, for Peacock Bass.
    Let’s see. Bass that hit musky plugs, and can absolutely
    tear them to pieces, and they are “purdy” to boot.
    That and being someplace warm come February would just
    about be perfect. Actually come February, anywhere in
    the lower tier of states would make some small dreams
    come true.

Big Bass Bane

bass423
    Oregon, WI

JC are you a latent communist longing for the homeland! Just kidding, I know you are too radical to be a communist! Anyway my dream bass trip would be to one of the many trophy smallmouth lakes down south in late fall/winter for the big girls. A trip to Mexico for a chance at a 15# Lm would run a close second.

champman
    la crosse

Hey Reel Guy, you take it for granted what we have around here. I fished the classic there in 2001 and it’s a sorry place for fish to live! You HAVE to drive two hours in any direction to find A fish in that place. At least here, you can drop in the trolling motor and start fishing from any launch that use choose here! In my travels, this has to be one of the premier places to fish,(except for the potential of landing a true lunker). World class fishing as I see it is if you have a chance at a 6# smallie, a 10# largemouth, a 20# musky, a 10# walleye, 1# gill, etc… How many of those chances could you fill in the Midwest? Probably all of them, if your on the right water at the right time. There’s 8-9# largemouth right under our noses as we speek- many people just don’t know where to look- some of the smallest lakes in minnesota and wisconsin have the largest fish

champman
    la crosse

a gator chasing down your buzzbait is cool though!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

You are correct!!!

2 springs ago I caught a 9.4 out of a little 200 acre lake not more than 30 miles from my home. This summer I pulled a pile of 5’s and 6’s with one 7 in the mix. I will take that anywhere!

As for Cuba. I read an article and talked to a couple of fisherman that spoke of this once available resource. It has long been forbidden to travel there in search of unmolested waters. The part that has my attention is that many of these lakes have never seen a plug nor have any of these fish been hooked. It is my belief that the size aspect is great but something as pure as a lake that has never been pressured. I can only imagine and maybe that is enough in itself.

jc

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Hey BB,
    Are we still planning that trip to the big MO this spring?
    I am already getting the itch and its only November…
    jc

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Champman… Oh, please do not misunderstand me… I grew up just outside Chicago… we “visited” WI nearly every weekend… I DREAMT about living in such a paradise…

Well, I am living that dream, have for ~8 years now… not ONE moment is taken for granted. I think about my fortune everytime I get on I-90 headed for my parents…

I haven’t yet caught a “hog” of a bass here in WI, only one just short of 5lbs… I am learning and will get one…

So, Champman, you’re right – the Mighty Mississippi is a vacation destination location… and I LIVE here… a fisherman’s paradise.

(I just thought it would be a great experience to see those giant elelphant ear plants and fish the brackish waters… however, I would hope to avoid being shot or blown by the natives!)

riverfan
    MN

Being a smallmouth afficionado, I would opt for a spring trip to one of the Alabama River reservoirs such as Wheeler. Although, Georgian Bay where we just had the Regionals was incredible for 5 lb. Smallies.

fishbonz

pool 14 on the mighty mississippi floating down beaver channel with lots of beer and my buddies bignutz,pitbull& bigdaddy290.

BBBane
    Chippewa Falls, WI

JC,

Yes I am up for this one. I have to get the details
    from “Fluker”, and I may have a boat issue. Mine is in
    storage, and it is buried(grin). But by that
    time, I will be crazy, so I doubt if that will stop me.
    I will get you the dates, as soon as I get them.
    It is about time we actually fished for money, together(grin).

Big Bass Bane

onthewater
    Roanoke, Virginia

Dream trip? Hmm…

I’d like to fish I’d like to fish a four days on Big Sam Rayburn and then four days on Toledo Bend. I’d like to fish there with Larry Nixon, Rick Clun, Tim Horton, Mark Davis and Davey Hite.

Cuba. Cannot go? Uh…

I knew a guy who used to live in Mexico (he was a US Citizen) and had the opportunity to go during Christmas break with his buddies, but his pop didn’t transfer the $ on time… So he just stayed in Mx. with his girlfriend, doing what is done during those times .

Any-who, you can go via Mexico or Canada. If you get detained in Cuba for any reason -I doubt you will ’cause they want your American Dollars- you’re on your own, fella .

Well, it looks like we’ll be livin’ in VA by July 1, ’04 rather than Dec ’04… I was just told this by the She-who-must-be-obeyed, I mean the little woman .

They fish till November . Tournaments start in March…

Thanks,

OnTheWater

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

Isn’t this suppose to be a “dream trip”…I’d say fishing in the keys with those “Twins”, and havin, say Pamela Lee cleaning my fishing, and why not invite Hugh Hefner and his traveling companions for a little…..r and r…..Hmm…now wouldn’t that nice
    Hey you said Dream…………….

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’d say it teeters awfully close to a fantasy.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

I think the REEL FANTASY might mean CATCHING some of Hefner’s playmates and “reeling” them in…

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

I STILL GET FIRED UP ANYTIME I GET TO GO TO THE POOL 9 – 10 AREA. I HAVE HAD THE BEST TIME FISHING THERE. YOU CAN CATCH 15LBS. BAGS OF BASS. ALTHOUGH I HAVEN’T YET, BUT KNOW IT HAS BEEN DONE BY SOME LOCAL STICKS. THE MIGHTY MISS IS MY FAVORITE DESTINATION. IF YOU TAKE AWAY THE FISHING, THE SCENIC BLUFFS, EAGLES AND WILDLIFE ARE SECOND TO NONE. MY DREAM TRIP WOULD BE TO TAKE THE FAMILY TO POOL 9 AND NEVER GO HOME. TBASS

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

TN River Huntsville, Alabama(30-40# stripers…below the hydro)hey they are bass too,Lake Fork, Lake Conroe(to watch them catching 5# bass with a cane poles and a minnow), and Sweetwater to pull hogs out of trees and brush so thick you can walk on it. Also to see if my fiberglass dingy is still where I left it 3 years ago.

tazbbassin
    Des Moines, Iowa

Dream trip . . . wow.
    Not put a damper on the wild and neat sounding places you guys have mentioned, but I think mine would be a little different.
    I would have to go for a sunny day on any body of water with my Dad. Fishin and talking like we were supposed to be . . . now that is a dream trip !!

Scooter
    Rockford Il.

I would have to say fishing with the Champman on the ole Mississippi. you gettin any of that smoke I’m blownin up your . I’m heading for Mexico the end of January.

champman
    la crosse

is there any way i can fit in your luggage?

Scooter
    Rockford Il.

Sorry I don’t have room for my clothes with all the tackle I have.

champman
    la crosse

i see that all you need down there is a beer can, piece of string, and a plastic worm/hook combo. Problem is that them full beer cans sink!

fenderman
    Aurora IL

I have fished Mexico lakes for the past 4 years and have enjoyed catching some very big bass… 2 over 12 pounds, several 11’s and a flock of 10’s. The best lake for big fish, for me, has been El Salto. I spent many years fishing Lake Fork and caught many over 10, but over the last 3 or 4 years I simply quit going as the big double digit fish became rare. Largemouth bass virus really hurt Fork, while people say it is coming back, my many friends who still fish it regularly would disagree.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about. Thanks Fenderman for sharing. I’m guessing that fish was in the double digit range.

TBASS
    ROCKFORD,ILL

FENDERMAN, AWESOME FISH!! I WOULD BE AFRAID TO PUT MY HAND NEAR HER MOUTH. TBASS

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Fenderman… BEAUTIFUL fish… wow… thanks for sharing!

fenderman
    Aurora IL

I actually caught 5 fish over 10 pounds in a 2 hour period on that day, which got a mention in Bassmaster in an article onE Salto. Here is another one of them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.